Gator Basketball ***Official BBALL Thread*** UF @ Wake Forest for ACC/SEC Challenge (ESPNU Wednesday Nov 29 7:15PM)

Born2beagator

Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
How in the world is our terrible defense not a concern? :lol:

Defensive-minded Todd has me thinking Armstrong may not be too bad after all
Imo we were not allowed to play defense in the second half. We got up 9 and suddenly if we breathed on them it was a foul. The refs drastically affected our defense in the second half.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
I don’t even care how Todd or Billy pan out. It’s time for Stricklin’s virus to be eradicated

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
At least we’re good at all the sports nobody cares about :whew:

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
I care about baseball but I get that few do.

I mean I played thru college so I do too but it’s not a sport that generates much interest. Can’t even brag over rivals when it comes to baseball.

Football is king, basketball is second. All others are far down

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
0-17 in final 5 minutes when trailing. I’m not concerned, are y’all? :lol:

I didn’t watch this game. But I did read that we struggled in protecting the three.

Is that what you saw?

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I mean I played thru college so I do too but it’s not a sport that generates much interest. Can’t even brag over rivals when it comes to baseball.

Football is king, basketball is second. All others are far down
No dispute here.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
I didn’t watch this game. But I did read that we struggled in protecting the three.

Is that what you saw?

Yep, rotations stunk and lead to easy twos too. All around rough performance on the defensive side.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Remember that time when we worried about men’s basketball having success this year and possibly validating Stricklin’s tenure here at UF, thus preventing his firing?

1701313100784.gif

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Remember that time when we worried about men’s basketball having success this year and possibly validating Stricklin’s tenure here at UF, thus preventing his firing?

View attachment 64633

I’m not sure him hiring prime John Wooden would matter at this point. That dude has whatever is opposite of the Midas touch

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Golden sucks. He amassed a lot of talent this year but he’s not up to the task. Fire Stricklin now before we sink any lower.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
I'd put this year's Golden team up against ANY Mike White team every damn day. We have much better talent now, and I'm not smart enough on basketball to know if there is better coaching now (hard to be worse than White was). So, IMO, we've improved....but still aren't where we need/want to be. I don't see the coach or the players feeling satisfied either, so let's see them do something about it.

Refs sucked, and it hurt our game noticeably. But that will happen to every team once in awhile (when will it be against our opponents rather than us?). Deal with it, play good enough to beat all 8 on the court.

I don't put much cred into Handlogten being out as a factor against us. Players get injuries over the season, a good team has the depth to compensate and keep performing. If a team wins/loses based on just one guy's availability (ie, Castleton) then it's not a healthy (balanced, robust with depth) team - that's on the coach. Yes, Handlogten would have helped, but he shouldn't be the deciding factor and I don't believe he is. We could have won all 3 of our losses. Again, that tells me we are close, but not there yet.

Losing sucks. A lot. But it certainly feels like a new (non-White) era where we have a chance in every game. Need to figure out how to get over that hump and be a consistently winning (if not dominating) team. I believe we can.

Last edited:

sminings

Lifetime Member
Nov 27, 2017
Rough loss against an average team is going to make the NCAA tourney very diffcult. They will need a winning record during conference play which doesn't look likely given the depth of the SEC.

The defense has been atrocious over the past few games. You cannot allow teams to hit more than 50% of their FG's on a regular basis and expect to win games.

I'm a fan of Golden but he probably needed some more seasoning before landing the Florida job.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Rough loss against an average team is going to make the NCAA tourney very diffcult. They will need a winning record during conference play which doesn't look likely given the depth of the SEC.

The defense has been atrocious over the past few games. You cannot allow teams to hit more than 50% of their FG's on a regular basis and expect to win games.

I'm a fan of Golden but he probably needed some more seasoning before landing the Florida job.

You forget that UF has one template for potential basketball coaches and it’s the same one they used when they hired Billy nearly 30 years ago.

Jeremy got lucky and caught lightning in a bottle and nothing has been updated since.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator