***OFFICIAL BOWL GAME THREAD: UF vs Virginia***

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
WE barely beat scUM.

Did everyone else watch a different season than I did? There were seriously threads with people asking if we could perhaps sneak into the playoffs bc we lost "close" twice.
No, you just fail to acknowledge the obvious difference pre-FF injury ad post. Trask tosses 350 on Miami and we win by 3 TDs. Kentucky is a laugher. We scored 19 in the 4th alone with him. And while you refuse to acknowledge it, we were up 18 late against USC until they scored on our back-ups. Even Spurrier teams had some slow starts. It happens. Just a little to frequently with CDM.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You are the expert, but I see O-LINE moving fast
Yeah... bc they are moving against other Big 10 players.

Their scheme helps. And changing to a simple scheme like that would help us too.

Try to remember in a few years how many of those guys get drafted by NFL vs ours.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Dwags say hello.
We had a great moral victory this year - big improvement. Might eke one out next year. Plus, Kirby Bangs is about to lose control. You can see it unraveling now.

But now that the “losing record in SEC play” and “only sideways passing” theories have been debunked, if we beat UGA next year what will be your new stupid thing to bray about?

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Long ago. Now USA, GA South and Kintucky can't wait to get another win.
We’ve got USA on the schedule right after UK next year. You have to think Mullen requested that specifically. You know he wants to avenge his most embarrassing loss. Showing a little vengeance is a good thing. Muschamp will never play GSU - still thinks losing to them was ok.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
No, you just fail to acknowledge the obvious difference pre-FF injury ad post. Trask tosses 350 on Miami and we win by 3 TDs. Kentucky is a laugher. We scored 19 in the 4th alone with him. And while you refuse to acknowledge it, we were up 18 late against USC until they scored on our back-ups. Even Spurrier teams had some slow starts. It happens. Just a little to frequently with CDM.
Mullinz always opened it up in the 4th Quarter with Franks, and wasted 80% of the downs with option plays the rest of the time.

We have slow starts by design.

The frustrating thing is the he KNOWS how to attack through the air, he just won't do it (until the 4th). He is talented. Just so fvkking frustratedly wedded to running Notre Dame's offense.

We will see. I got fooled in 2006 vs OSU and thought after he say how opening the offense up and throwing more led to our best offense of 2005 and 2006, and he did a little in 07 (bc of pressure to score bc of weak defense) but he tumbled back into optionville and has stayed there.

I just hate the option. It is high risk low reward. He loves it. Ran it at his HS and college, then ran it as coach at ND and every stop since. He isn't going to change. He adapts only when there is no way and only after losing games while he square peg round holes it.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Mullinz always opened it up in the 4th Quarter with Franks, and wasted 80% of the downs with option plays the rest of the time.

We have slow starts by design.

The frustrating thing is the he KNOWS how to attack through the air, he just won't do it (until the 4th). He is talented. Just so fvkking frustratedly wedded to running Notre Dame's offense.

We will see. I got fooled in 2006 vs OSU and thought after he say how opening the offense up and throwing more led to our best offense of 2005 and 2006, and he did a little in 07 (bc of pressure to score bc of weak defense) but he tumbled back into optionville and has stayed there.

I just hate the option. It is high risk low reward. He loves it. Ran it at his HS and college, then ran it as coach at ND and every stop since. He isn't going to change. He adapts only when there is no way and only after losing games while he square peg round holes it.
You hate all read option or just his version of it? It’s way more potent than traditional drop back or shotgun type offenses when run correctly.

One place we both agree is having Trask run RPOs. No thanks. Or dives into the line. I think he finally started listening to the QB coach in early November but I hope that stays dead until Trask leaves. I HATED watching trask plow into the right side of the line on 3rd/4th and short. Same play. Hope its gone.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You hate all read option or just his version of it?
I hate all option, except RPO stuff. That means either hand off to the RB or throw to WR on the slant or whatever depending on what the LB or safety does. Pro RPO, not pass/keep stuff.

RPO pass/keeper stuff, as you mention, I hate most of that.

As I said, option is high risk, low reward. Too many unblocked DEs/EMOL and too many hits behind scrimmage. Too many turnovers (for the risk). Too many mishandled balls when the QB tries to pull it back. Too little yardage. Too many 3rd and 8s.

Take some time and watch replays of our backs getting hit in the backfield and watch the backside DE. When he is unblocked, that is a read option. There's more to it, but once you see that you will probably recognize the rest. So many times people have been bytching at the DEs when those guys are just running the play that was called.

As for passing, sideways is ok, but it takes no longer time to run just two strides behind the LBs. I don't know why Mullinz is so infatuated with short passes. The WRs often juke once or twice anyway then turn for the ball, so it is still basically a three step drop coming in about three seconds. They too are much more dangerous. A pick is often a pick 6 with those. In the same time we could be running a medium route (around 11 yards, LBs usually drop to 7 yards) and still be getting a very high percentage pass.

SOS made his money on medium passes, 11-17 yards deep. People forget that. It's how you end up with Wuerffel and the others close to 70%.

Last edited:

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
I hate all option, except RPO stuff. That means either hand off to the RB or throw to WR on the slant or whatever depending on what the LB or safety does. Pro RPO, not pass/keep stuff. I hate most of that.

As I said, high risk, low reward. Too many unblocked DEs/EMOL and too many hits behind scrimmage. Too many turnovers (or the risk).

As for passing, sideways is ok, but it takes no longer time to run just two strides behind the LBs. I don't know why Mullinz is so infatuated with short passes. They too are much more dangerous. A pick is often a pick 6 with those.
Can’t agree. Option is the wave of the future. Even the slow to uptake NFL is transitioning. HS almost exclusively run it. Having defenders make decisions based on limited information is a dangerous concept. As much as I like Trask, he caps the offense as he helps eliminate a defenders decisions. Hopefully we move away from some of the option stuff this offseason to support Trask. Should have more time to insert and practice different blocking schemes. Hev has his work cut out for him.

How many pick 6s have we had this year?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Can’t agree. Option is the wave of the future.
The option is the wave of the past. This is nothing different than what Notre Dame ran, but with 4 WRs instead of 2 WRS and 2 TEs. But people do follow trendy things, no doubt.

Here's actually a quick talk by Meyer explaining read option and why they don't block that end. There is other stuff there too and that isn't the kind of RPO I like (QB keep vs pass)

The problem is none of it works with a guy like Trash who is just too slow. The DE can cheat toward the back, Trash keeps and the DE can still recover and catch him in the backfield too. (It doesn't work with Giraffe either bc he just doesn't think quick enough to read it and do the right thing. He isn't the only one, btw. Burrow was garbage running read option too, even though he is a good runner.)

Yes, you can run the option and do the same thing as everyone else, or you can throw the ball like Burrow and SOS did against teams that are setup to stop the run and who aren't particularly good vs the pass.

Last edited:

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
The option is the wave of the past.

But people do follow trendy things, no doubt.

Here's actually a quick talk by Meyer explaining read option and why they don't block that end.

I’ve seen that clip. I understand how the DE plays into this and that’s why i made the comment about Trask “helping the defense by reducing the decisions they have to make”.

So what’s the wave of the future? Once the option incorporated passing into it, it became the go to for everyone with an offensive pulse but who’s offense do you see revolutionizing the sport the way SOS did in the 90s and all these cats in did in the 00s with the RPO?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member

Here is a basic RPO too. Trash has been reading these REALLY well.

They mention that the QB switches to the other side on the first play, but he doesn't mention why. It's bc the defense had an extra defender out in there on the right, so two guys to cover the two receivers and an extra safety or OLB out here as the defender being optioned. NOt sure why they played that way. Something from film study I guess. Only two defenders on the left and two receivers. That one is easy if the QB makes the throw.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
So what’s the wave of the future? Once the option incorporated passing into it, it became the go to for everyone with an offensive pulse but who’s offense do you see revolutionizing the sport the way SOS did in the 90s and all these cats in did in the 00s with the RPO?
I don't know. The problem seems to be passing QBs aren't developing bc middle and high schools are using running QBs, so there might not be as many passing QBs regardless.

SOS really didn't revolutionize. He ran a very simple form of the run and shoot. It had basically reads within it, so that the WR adjusted based on look (zone, man, how many high safeties) and what technique the CB was playing. So long as those guys were on the same page, the offense really didn't need to look to the sideline to get another play.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018

Here is a basic RPO too. Trash has been reading these REALLY well.

They mention that the QB switches to the other side on the first play, but he doesn't mention why. It's bc the defense had an extra defender out in there on the right, so two guys to cover the two receivers and an extra safety or OLB out here as the defender being optioned. NOt sure why they played that way. Something from film study I guess. Only two defenders on the left and two receivers. That one is easy if the QB makes the throw.

He does read them well but so does the DE - there isn’t much chance of him taking off which eliminates the “run” part. He’s just so accurate and unafraid to make mistakes with tight windows that he defeats what should be an advantage for the defense. Honestly, its pretty amazing how well he’s played considering his experience level and the disadvantage of not having a running game. I kept waiting for the other shoe to drop all season but it never did.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I just can’t shake this mental image I have of members of gatorchatter hauling ass through the bush in an open top Land Rover trying to shoot a stampeding Crete with a tranquilizer dart. Careful boys, you don’t want to hurt him! We just need to sedate him so we can pull the giant cocklebur out of his fur without getting mule-kicked.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I guess it would have made too much sense for us to play Penn State....ya, know #9 and #10 both with 10-2 records....Would have been a good chance to remind that p vssy Franklin why he ran away from this conference too while were taking back the half dozen recruits he poaches from this state every year......

Oh wait, what's that? Were scared and would rather play the #25 ranked team that starts a Midget not much taller than Urg in the DB.....
This is worse than the plague....
You have got to be the dumbest fcking person on this board, and that's saying a lot because jboss posts here

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Gleaned from “The Florida Vault” by Norm Carlson (which is great.)

We got our colors and mascot from UVA. A Florida bookstore owner wanted to sell pennants and heard about a store in Charlottesville that had them. The guy in Charlottesville made them the same colors as UVA. All he knew about Florida was that we had alligators, so he put one on the pennants.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
I just can’t shake this mental image I have of members of gatorchatter hauling ass through the bush in an open top Land Rover trying to shoot a stampeding Crete with a tranquilizer dart. Careful boys, you don’t want to hurt him! We just need to sedate him so we can pull the giant cocklebur out of his fur without getting mule-kicked.

He’s kind of Jurassic...

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator