Gator Basketball ***Official Game Thread BBALL*** Florida vs Vanderbilt

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I mean he was 6-19 (1-7 from 3) with 4 turnovers. If he didn’t get fouled every time someone breathed near him he wouldn’t have near 23 points. Not impressed.

How could you not be impressed? His dad knows Michael Jordan.
What else is there?

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
This one game! It's more conclusive looking at the season, which was the basis of my statement. Gator fans are pouring wet concrete on every thing Payne does. People are using Payne's slam-dunks as negatives = proofs he's not worthwhile as a "real" player. A % of his slams are offensive rebound putbacks that would have gone to the opponent's possession. His shot-blocking-likelihood tampers with opposing scorers' efforts & plans.?? They certainly do not ignore his hands way up there.

Correcting Duruji's unfluid shooting, Applebee's TO's, Osifo's poor shooter's touch, payne's "brain-fog", Ruskiev's innacuracy, etc =all what we have to look forward to that will make us a much, much better team. Be real nice is tgose guys could have a 15% upswing in this tournament time.

Definitely my bad. I thought you were talking about today. Truth is he and Castleton are fairly even rebounders and both protect the rim well. I think all of us expected Payne to be the starter this year. In fact there almost no excitement about Castleton transferring but several who were critical of his complete lack of playing time and production at Michigan.

But Castleton beat him out where it matters. On the court. And he hasn’t looked back. Now Payne has to take it back or force the coach to redistribute the minutes. Castleton averages 24 minutes and Payne 16 minutes. Payne needs to make his move. In my eyes it’s on him. When that light goes on it is going to be great to see.

I for one like his dunks and putbacks. He’s shooting a phenomenal 75%. But we need him to open up his game and be a threat on offense. I still don’t think anyone is telling one to shoot and one not too. It’s time. We will be better the more he plays and produces. But we can’t keep up playing 4 on 5 offensively when we are not particularly great shooters to begin with.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Not disagreeing at all, Marine. I bristle at so many writing Payne down as terrible & hopeless.
= Castleton averages 6.45 rebounds per 30 minutes played.
= Payne averages 7.5 rebounds per 30 minutes played.

= Payne averages 2.47 blocks per 30 minutes of playing time.
= Castleton averages 2.55 blocks per 30 minutes of playing time.
Both guys have stats near the top of Gator performers.
Did anybody think such strengths for Payne using the crushing critiques on the basketball player Payne?

How right would Gator games be if we had 2 "big men" on the court together? We'll never know. Mike White isn't pushing that ... doesn't believe in it. Billy Donovan believed in that and won national Championships with it. He drilled an entire team to incorporate 2 "big men" inside ... remember all those dunks our '07, '08 teams executed.

Hoping only for top performances from all Gators from here on out. Refuse to lose, guys. It's elimination time. Suffocate UT again with hyper-defense. Please, no stupid unawareness TOs.

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
Correcting Duruji's unfluid shooting, Applebee's TO's, Osifo's poor shooter's touch, payne's "brain-fog", Ruskiev's innacuracy, etc =all what we have to look forward to that will make us a much, much better team. Be real nice is tgose guys could have a 15% upswing in this tournament time.
Team needs a meeting with Rog's Shrink, Sports Psychology, extraordinaire.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
Not disagreeing at all, Marine. I bristle at so many writing Payne down as terrible & hopeless.
= Castleton averages 6.45 rebounds per 30 minutes played.
= Payne averages 7.5 rebounds per 30 minutes played.

= Payne averages 2.47 blocks per 30 minutes of playing time.
= Castleton averages 2.55 blocks per 30 minutes of playing time.
Both guys have stats near the top of Gator performers.
Did anybody think such strengths for Payne using the crushing critiques on the basketball player Payne?

How right would Gator games be if we had 2 "big men" on the court together? We'll never know. Mike White isn't pushing that ... doesn't believe in it. Billy Donovan believed in that and won national Championships with it. He drilled an entire team to incorporate 2 "big men" inside ... remember all those dunks our '07, '08 teams executed.

Hoping only for top performances from all Gators from here on out. Refuse to lose, guys. It's elimination time. Suffocate UT again with hyper-defense. Please, no stupid unawareness TOs.

I hear ya, my friend. I’m on record as advocating for more minutes with the two of them on the court together.

But allow me to suggest Noah, Horford and Chris Richard were significantly more talented than Castleton, Payne and Jitoboh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.