***OFFICIAL GAME THREAD: UF vs. Aww Sniggity Snaps!***

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
If we had beaten aTm we would still be the same team we are now, so its irrelevant when it comes to us beating Bama. We'll simply have to have some good breaks along with playing our best game of the year to have a chance. Its not likely we'll win but that's why they play the games. This season is completely unpredictable with covid and all, anything can happen.

If we just played at a FCS level D we would have a chance. JUCOS play with more discipline

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
Okay, we've beaten lowly Vandy and Kentucky. We need to come out with more fire and purpose or we could lose one of the next two games.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
I thought we argued a lot when we were terrible the last 10 years. I forgot how much more debate there is here when we’re actually a good team.

But we aren't. We may be good but could be real good and with a proper DC maybe Elite...without a change we might have a chance at ATL but never an NC

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
But we aren't. We may be good but could be real good and with a proper DC maybe Elite...without a change we might have a chance at ATL but never an NC

In a year completely turned on its head, including five 12:00 kickoffs, a missed and rescheduled game, a coach getting the magical Covid and everything else, we’re posed to finish 9-1 and be in our best shape to win a title in over a decade. We’re a very good team. As for TG’s impact, while I don’t disagree, I also didn’t see us here this quickly, or at all, under Mullen either. I largely hate the style of defense, but am willing to watch it play out and see. The wildcats scored exactly one more TD on us than they did against Alabama, and it was on a short field because of an offensive mishap. As was pointed out above, I’m not ruling anything out and I’ll take my chances in a 60 minute contest.

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
In a year completely turned on its head, including five 12:00 kickoffs, a missed and rescheduled game, a coach getting the magical Covid and everything else, we’re posed to finish 9-1 and be in our best shape to win a title in over a decade. We’re a very good team. As for TG’s impact, while I don’t disagree, I also didn’t see us here this quickly, or at all, under Mullen either. I largely hate the style of defense, but am willing to watch it play out and see. The wildcats scored exactly one more TD on us than they did against Alabama, and it was on a short field because of an offensive mishap. As was pointed out above, I’m not ruling anything out and I’ll take my chances in a 60 minute contest.
Great post but the Gators need to concentrate on going to Knoxville and winning while getting better in the process.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
So what are the options for game times for us next week? I know 3:30 is one, is another noon start the other option? I know Bama vs LSU is in prime time CBS and not sure if there is any time slots available for night conference games opposite that one. I'm thinking CBS will pick the A&M and Barn game as long as they beat LSU.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
So what are the options for game times for us next week? I know 3:30 is one, is another noon start the other option? I know Bama vs LSU is in prime time CBS and not sure if there is any time slots available for night conference games opposite that one. I'm thinking CBS will pick the A&M and Barn game as long as they beat LSU.

I’ll be honest, it’s ridiculous the amount of 12:00 kickoffs we’ve had this season. There’s no question it’s a disadvantage for the favorite, which we’ve been in all cases(I think). I know a 7:00 would be cold, but it’s enough with the noon status already.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
I’ll be honest, it’s ridiculous the amount of 12:00 kickoffs we’ve had this season. There’s no question it’s a disadvantage for the favorite, which we’ve been in all cases(I think). I know a 7:00 would be cold, but it’s enough with the noon status already.

Hell, Fsu has gotten way more prime time games than us. Ugay plays at night every damn week.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
As soon as somebody starts a post with "I'll be honest," you know some great words of wisdom are about to spew forth.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
As soon as somebody starts a post with "I'll be honest," you know some great words of wisdom are about to spew forth.

Whoa. Is this about my pilot/9-11 comments? Look, I’m just saying, it’s probably a little embarrassing that a couple of uneducated monkeys from the middle east, who had no formal training, were able to master your trade with a 3 week crash-course at a local community college. That’s all. If it offended you, I’m sorry. Wasn’t my intention. You know I think the world of you.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Whoa. Is this about my pilot/9-11 comments? Look, I’m just saying, it’s probably a little embarrassing that a couple of uneducated monkeys from the middle east, who had no formal training, were able to master your trade with a 3 week crash-course at a local community college. That’s all. If it offended you, I’m sorry. Wasn’t my intention. You know I think the world of you.
What's to master? These things fly themselves. Heck, its why I have the avatar.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Is there a site that gives stats by halves? I think our defense might have been as good in the second half as it was bad in the first.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
I’d say we’re good, but definitely not great.
Agree. Pitts is great. Trask great-ish, rest of offense well above (SEC) average. Defense average at best. Special teams Hot and cold. Overall we're good but not that good, not Bama good anyway.

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
Agree. Pitts is great. Trask great-ish, rest of offense well above (SEC) average. Defense average at best. Special teams Hot and cold. Overall we're good but not that good, not Bama good anyway.

Pitts is potentially once in a lifetime college-level great (Percy level). Trask is not great-ish. He’s generationally great (Wuerffel level). Really enjoy it.

Then throw everything you own at the TV when Grantham shows up on screen because he is ruining that greatness. “Average at best” defense? Ho lee fuk. It’s the worst defense in UF history by any statistical measure actually kept for a particular decade. How do you measure this defense as possibly average but Trask only “greatish”?

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Pitts is potentially once in a lifetime college-level great (Percy level). Trask is not great-ish. He’s generationally great (Wuerffel level). Really enjoy it.

Then throw everything you own at the TV when Grantham shows up on screen because he is ruining that greatness. “Average at best” defense? Ho lee fuk. It’s the worst defense in UF history by any statistical measure actually kept for a particular decade. How do you measure this defense as possibly average but Trask only “greatish”?
I'm a huge Trask fan and definitely enjoying every minute of our offense with the most productive passing in literally decades, but when Trask has a Heisman and a national championship then he can be talked about as being on the same level as Wuerffel. I guess it boils down to your definition of great. Pitts is great by any measure. He jumps off the screen every game he plays in. He's a can't miss talent that will excel at the next level.

As far as the defense, average at best is a nicer way of saying a little below average. As in hovering around the middle of the pack or slightly below in conference defensive rankings such as points per game and yards per game.

2020 Southeastern Conference Team Total Defense Stats | ESPN

Last edited:

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
We played better overall than we did last week. Kentucky is a much better team. They have the best passing defense in the conference for the 2nd year in a row. Terry Wilson tore us up 2 years ago. The defense improved greatly in the 2nd half.

We’ve got to build to a peak against Bama, and if we beat them we will likely see them again. A 1-loss Bama will likely get into the playoff since the Pac 12, Big 10 and Big 12 have all imploded.

Best to focus on getting better, shoring up more mistakes vs. Ut. They’ve got enough athletes to keep it interesting for awhile and beating us would make their season. One game at a time.

*And I always look for us to win. Find a way.

Renard904

Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Some of you should step away from the TV a little. Have any of you actually watched a Bama game this year? Serious question.
Funny how everybody’s drinking the Bama koolaid. They are a great team as always, but they aren’t nearly as good as everyone thinks they are. Everybody keeps expecting us to be Alabama. We’re not like them. Their offense is predicated on running the ball and explosive, downfield plays. We don’t possess the ability to run and we have more of a possession offense. So there’s an illusion there that they are better because when they score it’s shinier.

And since some of you can’t seem to understand football, let’s examine a common opponent. And we’ve both played Kentucky in consecutive weeks. So that’s a logical starting point.
Alabama won 63-3
Mac Jones threw for 230yds 2td 1 Int
Najee Harris ran for 83 yds and 2tds
Devonta Smith had 9rec for 144 yds 2td

Florida won 34-10
Kyle Trask threw for 256yds 3tds
Dameon Pierce had 6car for 67 yds
Kyle Pitts had 5rec for 99yds and 3tds

As you can see both offenses were rather pedestrian. And pretty much spells out what I said above. It’s different styles with roughly equal production. One just has a flashy brand name.

Now the most glaring difference in the teams is probably on defense. But again, if you’d had watched their game against UK you’d know that UK should have scored touchdowns on its first 3 drives. Yesterday against Auburn with the score 14-3 Bama, Bo Nix hit Seth Williams in stride for an easy touchdown that he dropped that may have changed the game. Point being they’ve been really fortunate. They aren’t dominating the way ESPN would have you believe.

Last point, this game will be nothing like the last couple times. I’m not predicting a win, but they won’t blow us out. Some of you have PTSD from the last 10 years, but it’s ok to relax. We’re not that team anymore. And the defense isn’t as bad as everyone’s making it out to be. They haven’t put together a complete game, or even gotten close to this point, but we’ve seen stretches of dominant defense. Which is a major improvement over the first several games. I’ve also noticed quite a few less WRs running wide open lately. We’re not a perfect team, but we’re damn good. Alabama maybe the only team in the country that would be favored to beat us right now yet you Sad Sally’s are still complaining. At worst we’re re one of the best 5 teams in the country. I’d like to see how the season plays out. We all know TG’s defense blows. Even with that horrible defense I’d pick us to beat Clemson, Ohio State or Notre Dame right now on a neutral field. That won’t matter if we can’t beat Bama, but if we don’t no one will.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator