Game Thread ***OFFICIAL GAME THREAD: UF vs McNeese State***

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Every college team in America has a whole bunch of players with duplicate numbers. There aren't enough numbers to go around.
There are a maximum of 85 scholarship players. The SEC allows 85 to participate in league home games, 65 away. The NCAA max is 105. The last 5 never play when it matters.

If 2 starters want the same number, let them go by seniority or let them compete for it in some way that won’t cause injury.

Figure It Out What GIF by CBC

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
There are a maximum of 85 scholarship players. The SEC allows 85 to participate in league home games, 65 away. The NCAA max is 105. The last 5 never play when it matters.

If 2 starters want the same number, let them go by seniority or let them compete for it in some way that won’t cause injury.

You’re right on your point that there are enough numbers to go around. This is a bit unique because your star corner and your most impressive freshman both want the same number. Personally, I’m less concerned with two college players coveting the same jersey and much more concerned with a game changer analyst—assuming he makes north of 30k—that can’t make sure that they’re simply not on the field at the same time.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
I watching a replay on the SECN Wednesday night and a team took a timeout to get duplicate numbers off the field on a punting . The wrong guy came off so there were still two number 3 or something. The refs just let it go.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Personally, I’m less concerned with two college players coveting the same jersey and much more concerned with a game changer analyst—assuming he makes north of 30k—that can’t make sure that they’re simply not on the field at the same time.
Are you denying he changed the game? :lol:

Seriously, I’m curious which position coaches were responsible for the PR and the FG defense where the mental errors were most hurtful.

Heard Spurrier say yesterday that he split ST units among position coaches at times, but he doesn’t seem to like the analyst role. He gigged Billy’s staff on getting the right number of players on the field. He also didn’t have guys sharing numbers.

Shanking a punt and FG are on the players, imho.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
I ,of course, like Spurrier but I don't think he's doing this staff any favors if he's being critical of them to the media. Though, they may be "under his wing", so to speak and the things he says publicly may have already been discussed privately. I know he's loved and respected and when he talks it gets repeated.

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
I ,of course, like Spurrier but I don't think he's doing this staff any favors if he's being critical of them to the media. Though, they may be "under his wing", so to speak and the things he says publicly may have already been discussed privately. I know he's loved and respected and when he talks it gets repeated.
I don’t think the staff is doing itself any favors by trotting that clusterfuch of a performance out on the field, either, but here we are.

Slingblade himself said the criticism is warranted.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

I don’t disagree. It’s probably the most shocking thing I’ve seen with all this. Spurrier in many respects is UF. To borrow a Douglas line, they seem to be going “off script” which is really crazy given its week 2 of season 2.

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
I don’t disagree. It’s probably the most shocking thing I’ve seen with all this. Spurrier in many respects is UF. To borrow a Douglas line, they seem to be going “off script” which is really crazy given its week 2 of season 2.
I have NEVER seen the media turn on a guy so quick. Usually they’re the last ones to do so, and even then it’s as if they have to hold their noses and suck up their pride too. It’s baffling.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I have NEVER seen the media turn on a guy so quick. Usually they’re the last ones to do so, and even then it’s as if they have to hold their noses and suck up their pride too. It’s baffling.

Totally agree. What’s even odder is that he is a very likable person. It felt like when we lost to LSU in ‘21, the media was just waiting for the chance to pile on to this arrogant moron that they didn’t like personally and who’d given them plenty of sound bites and ridiculous answers over the years that they could now throw back in his face. None of that is the case here.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member

Good God, it was never an issue for decades until an inexplicable 5-yard penalty.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Can you summarize what SOS said?

Check out ticket prices.... lowwwww

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Totally agree. What’s even odder is that he is a very likable person. It felt like when we lost to LSU in ‘21, the media was just waiting for the chance to pile on to this arrogant moron that they didn’t like personally and who’d given them plenty of sound bites and ridiculous answers over the years that they could now throw back in his face. None of that is the case here.
I'm suddenly reminded of the incident last year where one of the media guys was caught on a hot mic saying he'd outlast Napier along with some expletives.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
Reminds me of Tebow and the NFL. And even more frustrating to me is our people lapping up the negative media.
To me, families keep family problems in house, they don't run them up a flagpole.
One game, that's all we've played.

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
Reminds me of Tebow and the NFL. And even more frustrating to me is our people lapping up the negative media.
To me, families keep family problems in house, they don't run them up a flagpole.
One game, that's all we've played.
This season. Unfortunately, it looked pretty much like most of the suboptimal games played last season.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
The guy isn’t a jerk, has a great personality. Maybe the fact that he’s super religious turns off some in the media?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator