• Poll closed .

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Wut?

We spent 99% of the year in nickel. I'm surprised Choker isn't in nickel for goal line.

what do you mean force us into nickel? they have to force us out of nickel, and so far no one has, no matter how badly we were losing.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
If you get a chance, check out Will Sammons article today on the game. Would be interested in your take on his analysis of how each team will attack each other. He doesn’t go in detail to specific concepts but does speak in general terms about which position groups could be used to exploit the other team’s weaknesses. He addresses Enos’ use of screens and TEs and how UF faired last year (good against screens, not so good against TEs matched to LBs. Thanks Vosean...)

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Naturally, I had to click on the link. There were some real winners in there. I don't know if it was because of the contrast between his hair and how otherwise he just looks like any other regular dude or what, but this was my personal favorite:

mdpd-190155253.jpg

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Apparently Enos has a tendency to run A LOT of 11 and 12 personnel packages. As @Gator Fever is so kind to remind us frequently, Enos loves his TEs and screens. My guess, given our lack of depth up front this week, is that we see a bunch of 12 in running and passing downs.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
reminder that Vosean Joseph is gone.

and I'm sure the guy that replaced can actually count to three.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Makes sense but Enos’ tendencies are pretty well documented. Doesn’t 12 potentially allow you better protection and help hide youth at tackle and QB? Maybe he’ll go strength on strength so that his tackles have help from their good TEs and the QB is given a little extra time to process.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
reminder that Vosean Joseph is gone.

and I'm sure the guy that replaced can actually count to three.

I think we will miss him against the run game a little. He had a lot of big stops at or near the line of scrimmage that would have been decent gains if not for him. I think it made up for his screw ups in run defense and the new LB didn't look that instinctive against the run in the spring game.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
I’d copy it over but since it’s behind paywall...

Here’s a snippet about UF defense vs UM offense (this part was after a lengthy discussion about screens and how Reese has been watching a ton of film to prepare for them):

The Gators’ defense experienced a turnaround last year and returns most of its starters. The pass rush should again produce with Jonathan Greenard and Jabari Zuniga. Two ace cornerbacks in CJ Henderson and Marco Wilson provide Florida an edge in the secondary, too. In theory, Miami’s offense should have a difficult time moving the ball against the Gators, and screens shouldn’t provide the Hurricanes an out. Florida’s opponents last year went 41-for-52 for 263 yards, 1 TD and 1 INT throwing screens, according to Sports Info Solutions. The Gators ranked 35th nationally in QB rating against screens.

Certainly, there is a lot more to Enos’ offense.

“You just have to be focused,” Reese said. “He tries to lull you to sleep and plays a lot of eye tricks with you.”

Reese wasn’t just referring to the “eye candy” Enos can show at times, when he deploys motion as a decoy. Functionally, Enos likes to run the ball, but then off of that, he’s going to take shots downfield; good eye control, especially in the back end, is critical.

“They have the answers to the questions that may get proposed during the game,” Mullen said. “They have a very good system that can attack in different ways.”

Especially with tight ends. Enos utilizes different kinds of schemes and groupings, but the expectation is Miami will feature a lot of 11 (one running back, one tight end) and 12 (one running back, two tight ends) personnel. He uses a lot of motion to keep defenses off-balance, particularly with his tight ends. Miami’s tight ends will likely be asked to try to create advantages against Florida’s defense on the perimeter in the run game and as threats in the passing game.

In that sense, Saturday profiles as a good, early test for Amari Burney’s move from backup nickel safety to starting linebacker alongside Reese. One major reason for Burney’s switch is his ability to cover. He replaced Buffalo Bills rookie Vosean Joseph, whom Georgia’s tight end torched last October.

If the Gators have their way, the screens, the eye tricks and the tight ends won’t matter much. Put simply, after racking up 37 sacks (the Gators’ most since 2015), Grantham is going to want Florida to attack Miami’s young and inexperienced tackles and quarterback.

“It’s tough preparing for a guy you’ve never seen play,” Wilson said. “I heard he’s a pretty good quarterback, but he’s also young, so we can try to use that to our advantage. I know as a young person it might be tough to play, and definitely at quarterback. So that’s something: We’re going to try to put some pressure on him.”

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
One of Miami’s greatest strengths are the TEs, correct? You’d think they’d do whatever they can to get them on the field. I agree that lots of good coaches break tendency but the hand Enos was dealt from the prior staff might force him to stay within his norm, even on running downs. If they don’t help those OTs out on running downs, we could just pack the box or run blitz them to death to stop the run. Having those 2 young OTs is a huge disadvantage on both run and pass. I just figured Enos would give them all the help he could provide, starting with his preferred TEs.

LetsGoCanes

Aug 19, 2019
One of Miami’s greatest strengths are the TEs, correct? You’d think they’d do whatever they can to get them on the field. I agree that lots of good coaches break tendency but the hand Enos was dealt from the prior staff might force him to stay within his norm, even on running downs. If they don’t help those OTs out on running downs, we could just pack the box or run blitz them to death to stop the run. Having those 2 young OTs is a huge disadvantage on both run and pass. I just figured Enos would give them all the help he could provide, starting with his preferred TEs.
Yes. Both Mallory and Jordan are very good. Jordan is by far the best blocking TE on the team while Mallory is more of a finesse TE; think TJ Hockenson and Noah Fant from Iowa last year. I do wonder if Enos will roll RS JR Michael Irvin II in 12 personnel and split Mallory out wide instead. I also think that Enos will probably roll out our fullback to help as well.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Richt didn’t really recruit for the spread and Enos hasn’t coached it much. Be hard to believe they’d have more than handful of spread concepts installed. Plus, didn’t Kentucky abuse the fact that we were missing our best ILB and VJ was routinely out of position?

Should be an entertaining chess match. Miami has a lot of talent but they are very raw in some critical positions. I think we’ll be fine against the defense but I’m guessing their defense causes a lot more trouble for our offense than many are predicting. Their front 7 is good by any college standard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.