Game Thread ***OFFICIAL GAME THREAD: UF vs UGA***

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
You'd have an argument if it wasn't so obvious that there was a missed block on that play.

I don't know how anyone can watch 22 on that play and say he didn't whiff on 2.
Asking a walk on WR to go block the Mike backer on the number one team in the land isn’t exactly a recipe for success . But it’s Billy so not exactly a big surprise

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Asking a walk on WR to go block the Mike backer on the number one team in the land isn’t exactly a recipe for success . But it’s Billy so not exactly a big surprise
So you think the players arent adequate yet...just want you on record with that.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
First of all, get a room you two. Second, neither one of you has mentioned Tenerc.

I know it's hard to believe but we battled UT every damn year for dominance of the East. And then caught Bama on the reg in the SEC championship.

Yeah, I’m well aware of that. The conversation shifted to the less dominant teams of Spurrier’s era, not the most dominant. My point from earlier in the thread stands…in any given year, you’ll find approximately 3 teams each from the East & West that are ranked at year end. They won’t always be the same teams but at the end of the day, the level of competition is going to be similar.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
So you think the players arent adequate yet...just want you on record with that.
Fundamentally receivers shouldn’t be asked to blocked linebackers . Would you ask a doctor for tech support? Would you ask a priest to prepare you a five course meal? Of course not because it’s not their dad gum job

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017
What does that have to do with anything? He was blocking. He went to the next level and blocked.
He missed the first guy.
He wasn't prepared for the play properly. And was unlikely to be able to succeed even if he made the correct choice.

Either he is talented enough to make the play and was not coached properly for the play or he isn't talented enough to make the correct play and shouldn't have been put in position to fail on a quick hitting trick play.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Fundamentally receivers shouldn’t be asked to blocked linebackers . Would you ask a doctor for tech support? Would you ask a priest to prepare you a five course meal? Of course not because it’s not their dad gum job
Don't ask receivers to block?

If you want to play flag football then that's your choice.

You're reaching for straws here. The kid missed a block...had no problem blocking the next guy...but yet, don't ask him to block. Keep fishing maybe you'll catch something eventually

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
He wasn't prepared for the play properly. And was unlikely to be able to succeed even if he made the correct choice.

Either he is talented enough to make the play and was not coached properly for the play or he isn't talented enough to make the correct play and shouldn't have been put in position to fail on a quick hitting trick play.
He went right at #2, looked right at him and went to the next level and blocked just fine.

All I'm saying is that's the "execution" that is being mentioned.

Some of yall act like this is fuching rocket science picking every little thing apart.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Don't ask receivers to block?

If you want to play flag football then that's your choice.

You're reaching for straws here. The kid missed a block...had no problem blocking the next guy...but yet, don't ask him to block. Keep fishing maybe you'll catch something eventually
Make sure you call you doctor the next time you need tech support or maybe your priest if you’re ever in the need of a catering service . I’m sure they will perform flawlessly and you’ll be pleased with the end result

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Make sure you call you doctor the next time you need tech support or maybe your priest if you’re ever in the need of a catering service . I’m sure they will perform flawlessly and you’ll be pleased with the end result
I've seen a lot of really dumb posts on this board. Crete posts here afterall.
But this...this takes the cake.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I've seen a lot of really dumb posts on this board. Crete posts here afterall.
But this...this takes the cake.
My foot hurts Urgy . Think I’ll call the sous chef down the street and he should be able to help. That’s what you’re doing when you’re asking a friggin walk on receiver to go block a man that’s got him by forty pounds , squats 600 and benches 450.
Get it now ? It’s a dumb call that is idiotically designed and setup for failure .

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
My foot hurts Urgy . Think I’ll call the sous chef down the street and he should be able to help. That’s what you’re doing when you’re asking a friggin walk on receiver to go block a man that’s got him by forty pounds , squats 600 and benches 450.
Get it now ? It’s a dumb call that is idiotically designed and setup for failure .
Fishing Fail GIF by Conesulfoz

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
25 rush attempts, behind only the 21 against Utah, both games ending in losses. With the run not working against Georgia's stout defense, Napier called on Mertz to keep us in the game through the air. He hesitated in the pocket on a few downfield play calls and got stripped once.

The run was working to some degree early on with 2 and 7, I thought we should’ve tried it more. We weren’t gashing them but we’re were consistently getting decent gains with those two. When Napier called that first reverse play to Pearsall, everything started to unravel. Should’ve just kept feeding 2 and 7.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Certainly winning less than 60% of our games would not be successful. LSU was approximately a .525 winning %, with UGA & Aub both around a .640 winning % during SOS tenure. So UGA & Aub weren’t horrible dumpster fires. LSU really struggled in the first half of the 90s with coaching issues before turning things around to some degree.

I understand your point but I think you are looking at the situation Spurrier inherited through rose-colored glasses. We were about a .550 winning % in the 4 years prior to Spurrier’s arrival, and we were still reeling from recruiting sanctions because of NCAA probation. Statistically, we were a lot like the 1990s LSU program you referenced above as being AIDS and we didn’t have a plethora of talent relative to our competition.

Billy didn’t inherit a great situation and certainly doesn’t have as much talent as some of our rivals but he didn’t walk in to a situation much different, nor any worse, than Spurrier, IMO. He also has tools to bridge the talent issue that SOS didn’t, namely the portal. Bottom line is Spurrier turned things around immediately because he knew how to coach.

I see nothing about Billy that leads me to believe he’ll ever be anything more than a 8-4 (on average) regular season coach who leads us to a middle of the road bowl game where we stand a good chance of getting beat by some other mediocre team.

You are definitely entitled to your opinion of Napier being a perennial 8-4 coach. I’ve seen his formula work elsewhere, so I am a little more optimistic than you. But again, there are issues that have been glaring at times. So I don’t have any issue with that tech. Where I do disagree is with regard to what each inherited. Spurrier has always raved about that 90 team, which also contained several seniors in 91. I don’t think it’s even close. But again, I’m OK with differing views.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
You'd have an argument if it wasn't so obvious that there was a missed block on that play.

I don't know how anyone can watch 22 on that play and say he didn't whiff on 2.
There was still quite a bit of execution remaining even if the block was made.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator