Game Thread ***OFFICIAL GAME THREAD: UF vs UGA***

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The fatal fourth down from our 34. Upon further review, Pearsall flashing left was open briefly for a short toss, but Etienne -- who faked a run and then stepped back to pass, using up precious time -- had no chance to get rid of the ball. Mondon was in the backfield untouched.

Napier's response?

"That's one of many plays today that probably we'd like to have back. But it's not necessarily about the plays at times. It's about the players. It's about the execution. We can certainly call better plays at times today, but ultimately it comes down to the execution of the play."

Except, Coach, you designed a fake that took forever to develop and you failed to plan for protection of the passer. Play fail.

It should have been a run to the right!

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
That play also appears to have been run better if it ran to right instead of left and Pearsal stayed home. They definitely had defense shifted to side they ran to. Right was more open
I think running P and faking the jet sweep and run to the right was the approach to take if you are going to do it.

My strategy for the game would have been keep the game close and hope for some good bounces. That does not mean not take shots down the field but don’t play high risk. A disciplined team will have the odds in their favor.

I guess the hookers I ordered for GA didn’t work.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
25 rush attempts, behind only the 21 against Utah, both games ending in losses. With the run not working against Georgia's stout defense, Napier called on Mertz to keep us in the game through the air. He hesitated in the pocket on a few downfield play calls and got stripped once.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
25 rush attempts, behind only the 21 against Utah, both games ending in losses. With the run not working against Georgia's stout defense, Napier called on Mertz to keep us in the game through the air. He hesitated in the pocket on a few downfield play calls and got stripped once.
I would say on alot of the downfield play calls there wasn't much of a safety valve for mertz. The slow developing routes put the oline in bad spots at times. It goes back to your Napier the oc vs kirby the DC. I think that gap is way bigger than our talent gap.

Ironhead

Defender of freedom.
Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
I keep hearing Freshmen and sophomores as some sort of justification for the inept play on the field.
Can anyone put a point differential on a team with Freshmen and Sophs playing a team with mainly Juniors and seniors?

The "talent" argument falls all to **** too when you look across the country and other games involving top ten teams vs., lesser talented teams.
Kansas anyone?
Wisconsin?
Indiana?
Hell, Even Cal.........

Point is, we are not 23 points worse than Georgia.

Back on the Billy train roller coaster.
At some point, the team just simply needs to play better week to week.

I was full of optimism this week. No, I didn't think we were going to beat Georgia.
I did think we were going to compete with Ga.. All the pre game stuff about Billy turning the corner, players buying in, the process is beginning to come together, we are getting close and the team is improving. That all came crashing down in the Fuching 2nd quarter.

Yesterdays execution, effort and especially physicality, was embarrassing.

I hate to say this but it's quite clear now, a Championship caliber coaching staff doesn't lay the egg we all say yesterday.
What happens from here is anybody's guess.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Vegas figured UGA was 14 points better. We lost by 23 -- 14 of those points coming after mistakes and both related in one way or another to poor pass protection.

Ironhead

Defender of freedom.
Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
Vegas figured UGA was 14 points better. We lost by 23 -- 14 of those points coming after mistakes and both related in one way or another to poor pass protection.
After the 4th down debacle, when what should have been a first down, or at worst, 4th and inches.
The team deflated. They quit.
ga jumped all over that deflation and stomped a mud hole in our azzes.

Our false bravado was exposed.

Rest of the day, we were pushed around and treated like angel soft puzzies.
Disgusting and embarrassing.

Bait'n Gator

Go away..... bait'n
Lifetime Member
Mar 14, 2015
I keep hearing Freshmen and sophomores as some sort of justification for the inept play on the field.
Can anyone put a point differential on a team with Freshmen and Sophs playing a team with mainly Juniors and seniors?
I believe 11 of our starting 22 were freshman or sophs yesterday, UGA had 8 of their starting 22 as underclassmen. While we are younger, still not a big enough difference in age to justify that shyt show. We're just not a very well coached team in any facet of the game, plain and simple. UGA is at least 3 touchdowns better then us right now, and it's not because their older, it's because their more talented and much better coached.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Auburn had a total of 4 seasons of 9+ wins in Spurrier’s 12 seasons here. And he lost to them in two of those years. They had also had three 5 win seasons, a scrappy 3-9 campaign in ‘98 and a 7-5 team in 2001 that also beat us. So as many losing seasons as 9 win seasons. 88-46-3 overall.

The dogs had 3 total seasons of 9+ wins, beating us in one of those years, and 5 seasons of 6 wins or less. 88-51-1 overall.

Lsu had 7 losing seasons in Spurrier’s 12 years. They won 9+ games 3 times, beating us one of those years. 72-68-1 overall.

I’m not going to even get into Uk, Vu or Usce during that time because that’s laughable. But those three teams you claim were solid combined for 165 losses during that time, winning roughly 59% of their games. AIDS.

Auburn had 8 winning seasons from 1990-2001, ranked in 7 of those at season’s end. Hardly qualifying as AIDS, as you put it.

Georgia also had 8 winning seasons from 1990-2001, also ranked in 7 of those at season’s end. Hardly AIDS as you put it.

LSU had 5 winning seasons from 1990-2001, ranked in 5 of those at season’s end. Not great but certainly not Vandy-esq level that Sun Belt Billy lost to last season.

I think you’re also forgetting that for the most part, those were 11 game regular seasons, not 12 like today, so 9 wins then was equivalent to 10 wins today.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
My strategy for the game would have been keep the game close and hope for some good bounces. That does not mean not take shots down the field but don’t play high risk. A disciplined team will have the odds in their favor.
This X1000
Napier took this option away from the players by trying stupid reverses and trick plays and going for it on 4th on our side of the field.
It wouldn't have mattered in the end but would have made the game much more watchable and left a better impression of the team on themselves and us fans.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
The fatal fourth down from our 34. Upon further review, Pearsall flashing left was open briefly for a short toss, but Etienne -- who faked a run and then stepped back to pass, using up precious time -- had no chance to get rid of the ball. Mondon was in the backfield untouched.

Napier's response?

"That's one of many plays today that probably we'd like to have back. But it's not necessarily about the plays at times. It's about the players. It's about the execution. We can certainly call better plays at times today, but ultimately it comes down to the execution of the play."

Except, Coach, you designed a fake that took forever to develop and you failed to plan for protection of the passer. Play fail.

Moot point....you NEVER EVER GO FOR IT in that situation....Ever......flip the field with a good punt and make them earn the points.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
To sum it up best were 2 offensive tackles, 2 CB's and a decent OC that doesn't think he's some kind of Riverboat gambler away from being a 9-10 win team.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018

Napier's response?

Sorry but he sounds like an *******. 4th and two feet and that was his call. Okay, don’t run up the middle, toss sweep, end around, whatever. But that play had too many moving parts. Anything but that play. Dumb.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Watch 22, tell me he didn't go block the wrong guy. He looked right at, even took a step towards, the guy that took ETN down before breaking it off and going to the next level

Maybe so, obviously we don’t know how Billy designed this play. Even if that’s the case, I don’t think ETN had any chance of completing the pass to Pearsall. The UGA defender was all over him. As a matter of fact, had ETN had enough time to throw the ball, I think there’s a good chance it would have been a pick-6.

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017
Maybe so, obviously we don’t know how Billy designed this play. Even if that’s the case, I don’t think ETN had any chance of completing the pass to Pearsall. The UGA defender was all over him. As a matter of fact, had ETN had enough time to throw the ball, I think there’s a good chance it would have been a pick-6.
I'm not even convinced Pearsall was beyond the line to gain when the pass was supposed to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator