Game Thread ***OFFICIAL GAME THREAD: UF vs UT***

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
They say the opposite of love isn't hate... but apathy. From my own personal experience (not speaking for anyone else here) Tennessee has the WORST fans in America. I've experienced so much crap from those inbred a-holes throughout my life that my hatred is second only to nd. Any yet...

I didn't even watch. There was a time when I could run through a damn brick wall during Tennessee week ... and I didn't even even watch today.

Not only that, but a loss would not only ruin my day, it's decimate my week. Now...

It's ‍♂️

13 years of crap has created this apathy in me. With each passing year, I have zero faith it will ever return.
journey of allen strange nicksplat GIF

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I think the first question I ask in the interview room is what is the big advantage being down nine versus 10? You still need to a TD and a FG.

The only logic I can see is he was not wanting to play for overtime. It was his way of saying we win or lose in regulation and we won’t have time for 2 full possessions. So get a stop, get a TD, and then with seconds left be in position to win with a FG. He had the time gauge correct. It’s not what I would’ve liked, but it’s aggressive and going for the win, which when execution and talent catch up, will pay some dividends.

Remember Mullen and really each of the last three playing the “___ points away” card. He’d rather lose by 5 going for the win than settle for a loss. Again, not my favorite idea, but it’s better than what those guys would’ve done.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
How many 4th downs did we get?
How about AR throwing?
How about that perfect onside?
And that's what you come away with?

I'm pleased. After USF this was awesome.

We're 2 and 2. Many here thought we'd get blown out.

Take a breath...things look bright

I see you're new to this winning thing. Because when you put yourself into a position to win, the last thing you want to do as a coach is take critical points off the scoreboard.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I see you're new to this winning thing. Because when you put yourself into a position to win, the last thing you want to do as a coach is take critical points off the scoreboard.

It’s ironic that you say that, because one of the biggest knocks on Fulmer when he was losing to us constantly was that he settled for three knowing we had the fire power to match with seven.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
I sure wasn't saying AR picked it up vs. UK and USF.

I was concerned with a couple of the coaching decisions, even in the Utah game.

Napier isn't going anywhere for the foreseeable future. No reason to call for his head at this point.
Not calling for his head but realizing he isn't going to out-coach anyone and he bizarrely seems to think we couldn't get an upgrade on offense by hiring an OC and QB coach. This is supposed to be a bigtime job, at least it used to be, so he should have the introspection to realize that there are better offensive minds out there, and having an OC would give him more time to focus on the critical in-game decisions, an area he is not shining at. This makes me think he is as stubborn as Chump and Dipshlt Dan.

He's not a lazy-ass like Mullenz and Mac, and a lot more likeable than any of the last 3. He has also obviously done a lot better job of building and modernizing the program, support staff, etc. It's all going to come down to recruiting, but even top 5 probably isn't going to be enough because just like at ULL, for whatever reason he usually finds himself in tight games decided in the 4th Q.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
The only logic I can see is he was not wanting to play for overtime. It was his way of saying we win or lose in regulation and we won’t have time for 2 full possessions. So get a stop, get a TD, and then with seconds left be in position to win with a FG. He had the time gauge correct. It’s not what I would’ve liked, but it’s aggressive and going for the win, which when execution and talent catch up, will pay some dividends.

Remember Mullen and really each of the last three playing the “___ points away” card. He’d rather lose by 5 going for the win than settle for a loss. Again, not my favorite idea, but it’s better than what those guys would’ve done.
I tend to beleive (and I may be in complete denial) that you are correct. Instead on Mullens "play not to lose big", BN plays to win.

Time will tell if those big kahunas are rewarded with a dynasty or castration.

He's still in the teambuilding stage. One phase clicks and another doesn't. And it changes game to game. We can have a pretty good team when they get all phases in sink... ie UGa game.

Recruit recruit, recruit.

Last edited:

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
They say the opposite of love isn't hate... but apathy. From my own personal experience (not speaking for anyone else here) Tennessee has the WORST fans in America. I've experienced so much crap from those inbred a-holes throughout my life that my hatred is second only to nd. Any yet...

I didn't even watch. There was a time when I could run through a damn brick wall during Tennessee week ... and I didn't even even watch today.

Not only that, but a loss would not only ruin my day, it'd decimate my week. Now...

It's ‍:dunno:

13 years of crap has created this apathy in me. With each passing year, I have zero faith it will ever return.
I'm right there with you except I still think the Program will return.

I'm still hoping this will be the year that it starts. It won't be reflected in W-L, but in how they grow as a team , how they play and recruiting.

I'm recording the games so I can FF through commercials and slo mo the plays. It takes the emotion out of it for me.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014

Calling "yo! 11" every roll is aggressive too, but there's a reason why you stick to pass/don't pass with odds if you want to have the best chance of winning. Belichick always deferred when winning the toss, never goes for 2 until at least the 4th Q and then only if the percentages on the sheet you carry as the HC says you should, always kicks a FG when in range unless you need 7 late in the game. You play the odds because they're the odds. Or you can go Les Miles, Mike Tomlin, etc and make lower percentage calls from the gut. It works out sometimes, you hit a yo 11 sometimes, but it doesn't make it the smart call.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
Again: Year 1

And name a coach since Uban that had our team playing with passion?

Almost every poster to a person said UF was stocked with 3*+ players.

Almost every poster said our D was very thin.

So what do you expect?

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Calling "yo! 11" every roll is aggressive too, but there's a reason why you stick to pass/don't pass with odds if you want to have the best chance of winning. Belichick always deferred when winning the toss, never goes for 2 until at least the 4th Q and then only if the percentages on the sheet you carry as the HC says you should, always kicks a FG when in range unless you need 7 late in the game. You play the odds because they're the odds. Or you can go Les Miles, Mike Tomlin, etc and make lower percentage calls from the gut. It works out sometimes, you hit a yo 11 sometimes, but it doesn't make it the smart call.

Typically the team that has come roaring back is the team that has the momentum in OT, so as I said, I’d go for the PAT. But to be clear, if he plays it’s safe we are kicking a FG to play extra innings, not to win, and may still have lost. It didn’t definitively cost us any more than Reed’s fumble against uga cost is that game. I’m not in love with it, but am ok with it.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Again: Year 1

And name a coach since Uban that had our team playing with passion?

Almost every poster to a person said UF was stocked with 3*+ players.

Almost every poster said our D was very thin.

So what do you expect?

I think most us would like less mental mistakes to begin with both by the players and coaches.

Oh and I am personally still waiting for a pass to be thrown to a RB coming out of the backfield isolated on a slower defender.

NOLAGATOR

Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
Oh the humanity!! No coaching hire guarantees instant wins. Never has and never will. Some of you geniuses that think you can predict what will happen 5 years from now based on 4 games really are either entitled female canines or need to pull your head out of the blender. Look through the list of teams with first year coaches after multiple years of dismal recruiting then look at teams with 3rd or 4th year coaches that have begun the process of rebuilding. There is a big difference in their performance and success. Be a decent Gator fan and quit crying like entitled beaches. Napier has taken the first step of beginning to build an adequate support staff and has shown promise in recruiting.

Fine!! Disagree with play calling, game management, etc. I don't agree with everything either but at some point at least try to do an objective analysis of the past, present and future!! Show some dignity and quit crying. Napier is starting from scratch just like Pell following the Dickey Disaster. But really, all of the adolescent fits are terribly embarrassing as a long time Gator fan.
Preach John Stamos GIF by Fuller House

Born2beagator

Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
You also generally don't give up 38 points and win. None of the fault of today should be directed towards the offense imo

NOLAGATOR

Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
I think most us would like less mental mistakes to begin with both by the players and coaches.

Oh and I am personally still waiting for a pass to be thrown to a RB coming out of the backfield isolated on a slower defender.
With respect,

Who the %&@# are you?

This is game 4 of a new coach and new season. I almost gave up on UF Football until now.

I for one like what I see. I liked Pell, Hall, SOS, Uban's teams, and now Napier.

But who am I? I'm a football nobody. But I know what I like and see.

I'll say this...This $#!^ gets old. Nothing is good enough for some of y'all

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Typically the team that has come roaring back is the team that has the momentum in OT, so as I said, I’d go for the PAT. But to be clear, if he plays it’s safe we are kicking a FG to play extra innings, not to win, and may still have lost. It didn’t definitively cost us any more than Reed’s fumble against uga cost is that game. I’m not in love with it, but am ok with it.
Maybe, maybe not. He had a failed 4th down on the opening drive that should have been 3 points. If we had deferred like is the definite preferred strategy, it would have been a different game admittedly. But we didn't score on the opening drive and TU score 14 points using Belichick's Boom-Boom strategy, being the last to score in the first half and first to score in the second.

If you need any evidence why you defer when you win the toss, all you have to do is look at this game. Deferring isn't just luck or momentum based, it allows you to make better use of your first half TO's. You can use them if you need to extend the half to try to get the final score, or leave them in your pocket if you have a chance to score and need to burn clock to not leave time for your opponent.

Going for 2 was the lower percentage call and ironically it ended up being a critical mistake that possibly cost us the game, but even if it hadn't, it was still the wrong call statistically.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.