Gator Baseball ***OFFICIAL NC SERIES THREAD: UF vs LSU***

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The reality is that nothing that happened the previous two games has any bearing on the outcome of today’s game aside from bullpen usage. Who has the better quality, better rested arms to get to the 9th?

We shall see. We have to be happy to be in this position. Winning a championship takes talent and good fortune.
So what you are saying is, we need to catch some breaks. Got it.

bacongator

Oct 10, 2014
The consensus among my LSU friends here in Baton Rouge is that Skenes has to start, but on a hard pitch count. They don't want to save him (there would be no point in using him if we get a big lead), so best to get 3-4 innings out of him. But if he only throws in the mid-90s instead of the 99-100 range, we would have a good chance.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
The consensus among my LSU friends here in Baton Rouge is that Skenes has to start, but on a hard pitch count. They don't want to save him (there would be no point in using him if we get a big lead), so best to get 3-4 innings out of him. But if he only throws in the mid-90s instead of the 99-100 range, we would have a good chance.
On a related interesting note, one thing the numb nut LSU homer announcers did say yesterday was interesting... something along the lines of: "LSU batters seem to have a lot tougher time with Florida pitchers throwing in the 80s than against the ones throwing 95+ mph"

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
As a Detroit Tigers fan... whenever the subject of pitching/innings pitched/complete games... I always think of Jack Morris:

"Not only did Morris have more wins in the 1980s than any other pitcher (162), he also had the most innings pitched (2,433 2/3), starts (332) and complete games (133). Morris was known for finishing what he started. He racked up 175 complete games in his career (154 with Detroit). He compiled double-digit complete game totals in 10 of his 12 full seasons as a Tiger. In 1983, Morris completed 20 of his 37 starts. "
The ‘84 Tigers are and will forever be my favorite Major League team. Jack Morris was the man. Hernandez was a great reliever. They had a great roster that could hit the ball and Sparky Anderson was a good manager that didn’t get in the way. They started 35-5 and pretty much had the pennant wrapped up at that point. I enjoyed baseball that season more than I ever had and since until I started following Gator baseball. I’ve still got my Tigers road hat (orange Old English “D”). Them were the days!

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Is that pansy really that tired after 3 days that he can't even throw his full fastball? If that's true, I would pass on him in the draft without a second thought.

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
On a related interesting note, one thing the numb nut LSU homer announcers did say yesterday was interesting... something along the lines of: "LSU batters seem to have a lot tougher time with Florida pitchers throwing in the 80s than against the ones throwing 95+ mph"
Finnvold time?

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
The ‘84 Tigers are and will forever be my favorite Major League team. Jack Morris was the man. Hernandez was a great reliever. They had a great roster that could hit the ball and Sparky Anderson was a good manager that didn’t get in the way. They started 35-5 and pretty much had the pennant wrapped up at that point. I enjoyed baseball that season more than I ever had and since until I started following Gator baseball. I’ve still got my Tigers road hat (orange Old English “D”). Them were the days!
Yup... it was a magical, and very fun, season. It was the summer before, and Fall of, my senior year in HS. Class of '84 tries to claim it as "theirs," but this pic of Gibby is on the cover of OUR senior year book, not theirs (and I remember the morning I delivered this edition of the paper) :lol:
kg.jpeg

Interesting side note... this pic also explains why Gibby could barely walk for his iconic Dodgers home run :lol:

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Yup... it was a magical, and very fun, season. It was the summer before, and Fall of, my senior year in HS. Class of '84 tries to claim it as "theirs," but this pic of Gibby is on the cover of OUR senior year book, not theirs (and I remember the morning I delivered this edition of the paper) :lol:
View attachment 59023
Gibson was a helluva athlete. Played football (rec I believe) at Michigan St. He became a better hitter throughout his career, but he could cover some ground in the outfield. Remember being surprised that he was a smoker as fast as he was. Man, you’re bringing back some good memories for this old Florida boy!

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
So what you are saying is, we need to catch some breaks. Got it.
You are starting to sound like the LSU homer announcers that seem to think that the wind only favored one team yesterday. No one has said we don't need to catch some breaks... every team needs them, like LSU needed them Friday night.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Gibson was a helluva athlete. Played football (rec I believe) at Michigan St. He became a better hitter throughout his career, but he could cover some ground in the outfield. Remember being surprised that he was a smoker as fast as he was. Man, you’re bringing back some good memories for this old Florida boy!
He was actually projected as a 1st Round NFL draft pick and invited to the Heisman ceremony his senior year... it shocked everyone when he chose baseball over football for the pros.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
If we don't win today, LSU will just laugh off the 24 we scored in the last game. If we win, it will be burnt into their souls forever. I want that.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
You are starting to sound like the LSU homer announcers that seem to think that the wind only favored one team yesterday. No one has said we don't need to catch some breaks... every team needs them, like LSU needed them Friday
I’m glad you agree the catching breaks are needed.

Mr2Bits

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Soooooo… we’re likely to see skenes bring the heat for 7-8 innings. Zoinks.
Sully and the boys need to be watching Arkansas and USCe tapes from this past season, whatever those teams did they had his number.

Born2beagator

Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
They can crow all the want about "7-8 innings of 100 mphs from skenes" But he's thrown a lot, and pitchers are creatures of habit. Short rest quite often goes very poorly. The bragging about Skenes to me smacks of a fanbase that's been embarrassed and is trying to cope.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member

Jurassic Park Hold Onto Your Butts GIF

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads