OKC extends Billy Donovan

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
There’s hundreds of iconic/great NBA coaches? What the hell are you talking about?
Sure there are. Guys like Karl, Carlisle, Rivers, Larry Brown, Thibodeau, Van Gundy, Collins.

And they all got fired.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Sure there are. Guys like Karl, Carlisle, Rivers, Larry Brown, Thibodeau, Van Gundy, Collins.

And they all got fired.

Of course they got fired! First of all – I wouldn’t say all those guys are great. Second off, coaching in the NBA is about 100 times harder than college. And you’re going against the best damn athletes on the planet every day. And you have to fight free agency.

There’s a reason these guys try it in the NBA. It doesn’t mean they’re not great coaches, but coaching in the NBA is a completely different animal. If you can be great in the NBA, you’ll be immortalized.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Of course they got fired! First of all – I wouldn’t say all those guys are great. Second off, coaching in the NBA is about 100 times harder than college. And you’re going against the best damn athletes on the planet every day. And you have to fight free agency.

There’s a reason these guys try it in the NBA. It doesn’t mean they’re not great coaches, but coaching in the NBA is a completely different animal. If you can be great in the NBA, you’ll be immortalized.
Go back to post #14. I think you just helped make my point.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
There’s hundreds of iconic/great NBA coaches? What the hell are you talking about?

Clearly we have different definitions of the word iconic.

That's what the hell I am talking about.

GatorMan5K

Gatorologist
Lifetime Member
Oct 9, 2014
I have a lot of respect for his decision. A great college coach is an icon. A great NBA coach is for a fleeting moment.

Money isn't the issue; there's an abundance of it either way. He's being true to himself.
I disagree. There are legends in the NBA ranks. They are just few and far between. Most often they are overshadowed by the star players, but a few still hold a spot in memories. But nothing like in college.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator