Orange & Blue Spring Game Thread

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Franks stares down his WR
2. Franks made a few throws, but the misses were the slants and seams he has to hit for us to move the ball as Gatorbait25 points out
This is usually a sign that a QB doesn't have good field vision....I noticed these as well. In all honestly Franks may progress into a decent QB but he still seems to be at least 1 more year away. The coaches really tried to hide his weaknesses imo....

Last edited:

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, the bigger kid, Franks is the QB 'freshman' to start the run. I don't get knocking the modulation on some throws who can chuck it without getting a hernia. A bit of a butterfly game, my thought or hope is situational touch is acquired as the kid settles in. Go Gators!

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
This is usually a sign that a QB doesn't have good field vision....I noticed these as well. In all honestly Franks may progress into a decent QB but he still seems to be at least 1 more year away. The coaches really tried to hide his weaknesses imo....

Decided to watch some of this game again. Franks really telegraphs where he is going to throw the ball. On almost all passing plays except the short dump offs he was staring down his receivers right after the snap. Didn't really see much at all that would suggest he can read a defense and hit 2nd options except for the short couple of yard dump off passes.

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
Decided to watch some of this game again. Franks really telegraphs where he is going to throw the ball. On almost all passing plays except the short dump offs he was staring down his receivers right after the snap. Didn't really see much at all that would suggest he can read a defense and hit 2nd options except for the short couple of yard dump off passes.
I don't think so...half of his passes were on delayed under crossing routes that were the 3rd or 4th option. Part of the few stare downs were the very basic plays and really only 1 option to throw to on them

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I don't think so...half of his passes were on delayed under crossing routes that were the 3rd or 4th option. Part of the few stare downs were the very basic plays and really only 1 option to throw to on them

It seemed almost every one I watched except the real short stuff he seemed to stare in the direction of where he was going with it after taking the snap. It really stuck out I thought. Just seems like he is really tipping his hand on some of them where he wants to go with it.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
It seemed almost every one I watched except the real short stuff he seemed to stare in the direction of where he was going with it after taking the snap. It really stuck out I thought. Just seems like he is really tipping his hand on some of them where he wants to go with it.

Is he staring at the receiver, or watching what the safety is doing?

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Is he staring at the receiver, or watching what the safety is doing?

Sometimes it was out of view but he definitely wasn't making it a point on those longer throws to make the defense think he might be going somewhere else with the ball. I just hope he gets better at not staring stuff stuff down as defenses will catch on to that quick. The TD pass and some others he stared at the guy the whole time but the guy was pretty open on the TD but that isn't a good habit to get into especially when you are going against SEC DBs.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Every guy who doesnt even understand the most basic football concepts swears he sees QBs "staring down receivers" somehow while looking at the back of the QBs helmet.

It's the internet forum staple after a loss.

Last edited:

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
@SDS: #SEC spring attendance (so far):
South Carolina: 12,345
Florida: 48,000
Ole Miss: 8,000
Auburn: 46,331
Texas A&M: 21,000
Miss State: 16,630

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
@SDS: #SEC spring attendance (so far):
South Carolina: 12,345
Florida: 48,000
Ole Miss: 8,000
Auburn: 46,331
Texas A&M: 21,000
Miss State: 16,630

Some sad numbers...really sad. A lot of bigger schools have not played yet

http://gridironnow.com/2017-college-football-spring-game-attendance-figures/

OVERALL (from highest to lowest)
1. Clemson: “over” 60,000 – a school record (April 8)
2. Florida: estimated 48,000 (April 7)
3. Auburn: 46,331 (April 8)
4. Oklahoma: 43,723 (April 8)
5. Florida State: 26,649 (April 8)
6. Michigan State: estimated 25,000 (April 1)
7. Texas A&M: nearly 21,000 (April 8)
8. Mississippi State: 16,630 (April 8)
9. Iowa State: estimated 15,000 (April 8)
10. South Carolina: estimated 12,345 (April 1)
11. Texas Tech: at least 12,000 (April 1)
12. Ole Miss: approximately 8,000 (April 8)
13. Colorado: estimated 6,250 (March 18)
14. Purdue: 6,006 (April 8)
15. BYU: estimated 6,000 (March 25)
16. Wake Forest: 3,154 (April 8)

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Every guy who doesnt even understand the most basic football concepts swears he sees QBs "staring down receivers" somehow while looking at the back of their helmet.

It's the internet forum staple after a loss.

Yep just like it was with Driskel :lol: He was actually staring at one of the safeties some of the time I guess and not his receiver who was triple covered.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Prediction:

When the game is over we will know very little about how good the team will be next year.

I watched the game and I think my prediction came true....

QB: Franks played good, but it was first team O vs. second team D. Del Rio looked better last year under the same circumstances.. Trask did not look good, but he was playing with the second team O vs. first team D for most of the game (until the scoring drive).

RB: Scarlett made some nice cuts and Perine looked solid. Thompson needs to hold on to the ball.

WR: Nothing new here

OL: Looked good, but is that a function of the D not doing much?

DL: Looked OK.. wasn't pressuring the QB, but this is a spring game and it is geared toward offensive success

LB: Didn't really see anything that stood out.

DB: The first team DBs did a good job covering our second team WRs. The second team DBs struggled with first team WRs... nothing surprising here.

It is always fun to see the guys suit up in the O&B and scrimmage, but we won't know what we got until Sept.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Watched Q2:

Franks to the flat on the right should never have been thrown, a real DB can get that.
Crossing route to Powell appeared to me as a checkdown, and it connected, kudos.
Under center for a long crossing pass to Powell out on the left was well thrown and patient
Checkdown to Scarlett in the left flat was overthrown badly for what should have been an easy play
From the 11 Franks did try to hit Powell across the middle (red zone pass) but it was dropped (idiot! but little gain if caught)
Franks pass to the endzone, could have maybe been caught? I dunno if it was too tight or a bad pass or good defense by the second string. I'll retract my earlier request for some throws in the redzone, they are being called, just not executed.
--------
Trask under center had time to wait for long throw down the middle, watched the route and never saw the DB from the other side that broke it up = limited field vision by QB
Thompson fumble :deadnanner:
-------
Franks TD again was focused only on the one route, but I'll credit play structure that had Giles (walk on?) at LB choosing between WR and getting burned
==============

Why does it seem Franks is always shotgun and Trask is always under center? I thought shotgun was primarily to buy time for the QB to read things (makes sense for Franks)....is Trask more natural under center? Just seemed odd and I'm looking for insight.

Franks is sticking with Powell and Callaway for his passing. The play calling and/or QB vision need to widen that list of options.

I did see Cleveland several times like high-fiving Callaway on the TD. I'm not sure why I've yet to see anything thrown his way unless he's not getting open or not option1 in the routes. Or did he just piss Franks off somehow? I dunno.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Mods, feel free to copy and paste this into the OP.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Also from Q2...since I'm watching the youtube replay with American announcers to include Chris Doering doing sideline duty....why TF am I seeing graphics in Spanish?

upload_2017-4-9_17-49-4.png

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
2. Florida: estimated 48,000 (April 7
Jeebus, we have to engage in liecraft now.

So, when the stadium is jam packed full there is 92k.

So, the stadium was absolutely empty about half way up on the sidelines and almost completely empty in the endzones. Then in the lower half you could see huge gaps even down to the swcond and third row.

Now I was surprised at how many wasted a few hours on this, but I would eat your shorts if we were at even one third capacity.

They have turnstiles. If they wanted a REAL number, theyd have it.

PLENTY of seats available for the season if you want to enjoy year three of Butters' shytshow.

Last edited:

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Franks is sticking with Powell and Callaway for his passing. The play calling and/or QB vision need to widen that list of options.

I did see Cleveland several times like high-fiving Callaway on the TD. I'm not sure why I've yet to see anything thrown his way unless he's not getting open or not option1 in the routes. Or did he just piss Franks off somehow? I dunno.

I thought before the game Mac might not want to throw too many long passes to Cleveland as to not give Michigan something to really think about but it sounds like Cleveland has been pretty dang good in practice going up and getting those passes even against the starting corners.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Jeebus, we have to engage in liecraft now.

So, when the stadium is jam packed full there is 92k.

So, the stadium was absolutely empty about half way up on the sidelines and almost completely empty in the endzones. Then in the lower half you ckuld see huge gaps even down to the swcond and third row.

I will eat your shorts if we were at even one third capacity.

They have turnstiles. If they wanted a REAL number, theyd have it.

PLENTY of seats available for the season if you want to enjoy year three of Butters' shytshow.

Yeah...I didn't get the "estimation" either. Sounds odd.

Himey

Founding Member
Super Important Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Honestly Franks did not look that much ahead of Trask to me. He had the entire first half with the 1st team O against the 2nd team D. Franks doesn't have great touch but has a rifle arm. Trask has better touch on the ball and to his credit engineered a scoring drive in his only opportunity with the 1st team offense. To have an apples to apples comparison, both QB's should have had equal time with the first team offense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.