Our biggest game since 2009 Bama

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Is the new staff still running the same offense and defense at MSU?
Of course, and probably about 1/3 of the playbook.

That being said, what staff is left at Cowbell?

Last edited:

Renard904

Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
So Mulkinz was the champions and Leyer was just riding his coattails?

Lulz.... ok.
That's not at all what I'm saying. Just pointing out that there was a substantial fall off when Mullen left. And that I never expected to win in '09, because of it. You see Mullen's name and instantly get put off by it. That's the danger of opinions. You're so committed to your disdain of Mullen, that you can't be objective.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
If you want to pull this recruiting class out of the basement, you damn well better be pulling for the above scenario.
I dont believe the data supports the idea that first year record affects the bump class.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Mehhhhhh..... a win versus the loss means what 8th versus 9th in the SEC?

I'm exactly the opposite. last week was the big game, especially when you have Dooley preparing us for 0- 8.

this year never really mattered. just looking for some improvement and an Elite recruiting class.

Hmmm. Are the dumpsters getting nervous? Down playing the significance of a win even before the game is played.
I've heard right here on this board that
Mullinz...Always...Loses...To...A...Higher...Ranked...Team

I'd say a win this week would be even more significant.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Hmmm. Are the dumpsters getting nervous? Down playing the significance of a win even before the game is played.
I've heard right here on this board that
Mullinz...Always...Loses...To...A...Higher...Ranked...Team

I'd say a win this week would be even more significant.

I disagree, though I think a win this week would be nice. Last week was significant it was Tennessee and an Eastern foe. South Carolina, LSU, UGA are significant if we pull wins. Vandy we shouldn't lose. FSU would be significant because of recruiting. Even in our best years, he have had trouble with the state of Mississippi both home and away. This is one of the few games before the season a loss was understandable. Now if we play like schit like we did against Kentucky, that would be significant. But if we play well and lose, the loss itself wouldn't be significant.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
I disagree, though I think a win this week would be nice. Last week was significant it was Tennessee and an Eastern foe. South Carolina, LSU, UGA are significant if we pull wins. Vandy we shouldn't lose. FSU would be significant because of recruiting. Even in our best years, he have had trouble with the state of Mississippi both home and away. This is one of the few games before the season a loss was understandable. Now if we play like schit like we did against Kentucky, that would be significant. But if we play well and lose, the loss itself wouldn't be significant.
Seven point dogs on the road and we all know our history in Mississippi. A loss is expected. Kinda hoping, just hoping, to see progress and not get blown out right?
But a win? Oh man a win would make a statement: We're ahead of schedule, Mullinz getting a monkey off his back, bowl game all but guaranteed. Granted MSU may turn out to be bums by the end of the season but as far as mid season mo' it will help a lot. Then we can worry about the next foe.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Not enough CAPLOCKS and name_dropping. I'm only partially moved. 6/10.
If I told you I was with AARON BLAND when I wrote the OP, would that get me a 10?

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
This is definitely a big game. Win this one, and the only other road game is Vandy which should be a win. As bizarre as it sounds, assuming UK loses to UGA then we technically control our own destiny. Yes we are probably going to lose a few, but I never count losses until they actually occur so they are all big games until we are technically eliminated.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Win or lose, as long as we show progress and fight until the finish I’ll be happy. I’m with Law in that our record isn’t as important as our improvement and recruiting are this year.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Silly notion all together - I’m not attaching any special meaning to this game because it isn’t. Rivalry games? Hell yea, make it feel special.

All this game will do is give us better idea of where this team is: are they an opportunist team that’s destroyed some bad teams or are they an above average team that got beat by another similar team early in the season before they were ready to play? A loss leans towards the former, win leans towards the latter. We shall see...

Durfish

Feed me!
Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2017
Just want to get this right..a loss would not be significant and a win would not be significant?
Tell that to the players.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Just want to get this right..a loss would not be significant and a win would not be significant?
Tell that to the players.
A loss won't be the end of the world. A win will be very nice.

You know Cowbell and Mullinz want it badly.

SavannahGator

Founding Member
Behind Enemy Lines
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
They're ranked (even if perhaps overrated) and we are not. They have the revenge motive, we don't. They will have an insane crowd (despite the small-ish stadium), and we will have to fight through that. They have the "history" of wins there (despite there being so few games there), such as: 1992 (yes, I remember it) and Shane's insane 6 picks in a 30-6 loss; SOS's 2000 loss where they tore the goalposts down and injured our team manager; 2004 the nail in the Zook's coffin; although our last game there was a win - Timmy throwing a pick-6 and still winning three games after his concussion in Addazio's decrepit offense in 2009.

Probably all of these angles will be played up on TV (and radio, and print) prior to, and perhaps during, the game. And at 3-1, a win there means LSU on CBS (with Timmy being inducted into the RoH), probable ranking between 25 and 20, and a BIG game at home.

So yes, this really does seem like a turning point kind of game. Win it, and instant "recognition" and "respect" all of a sudden come our team's way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator