Outlawing Tik Tok?

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I’d like to see it become much less part of our culture, but I’d prefer it be due to market forces.
Love that Biden would sign the bill. How’s Biden now da millennials and gen z dolts.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
I suspect this is more a topic for the PF?

The so-called TikTok ban is a trojan horse. The President will be given the power to ban WEB SITES, not just Apps. The person breaking the new law is deemed to be the U.S. (or offshore) INTERNET HOSTING SERVICE or App Store, not the “foreign adversary.”

Too much power for Exec branch here. Imagine all the conservative sites he'd ban as 'enemy of (his) state'?

With the way TT is run in China (educational feeds) vs US (mindless distractions), we can see the potential for good and evil with such a tool; and it is just that - a tool. Either we force TT to change content for the US for the better, or we block them specifically with a US based replacement for our betterment.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
This is the government deciding what is good or bad for the market... which I disagree with. Though I do not like tiktok the government should no be involved unless it is direct correlation to one of its run organizations and only ban it from that.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
This is the government deciding what is good or bad for the market... which I disagree with. Though I do not like tiktok the government should no be involved unless it is direct correlation to one of its run organizations and only ban it from that.
Huawei phones were banned over concerns that the Chinese were spying on Americans. I understand your concern above about the the government overstepping but do you have problems with Huawei being banned too?

Essentially China asked how they can best spy on citizens and then created Tik Tok as the medium to gain access and keep people engaged in the product. It was extremely successful.

I don’t doubt for a minute that there are other apps doing the same thing with an American name.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Huawei phones were banned over concerns that the Chinese were spying on Americans. I understand your concern above about the the government overstepping but do you have problems with Huawei being banned too?

Essentially China asked how they can best spy on citizens and then created Tik Tok as the medium to gain access and keep people engaged in the product. It was extremely successful.

I don’t doubt for a minute that there are other apps doing the same thing with an American name.
I do, because what phone isn't spying on you? Being that you know the government can track your location even with your phone off, is that really any different. And I'm fully aware of the dangers of Tiktok. We don't allow it in the office or on any device that is company owned. But if the average American wants to use something we all know is spying on us, who is to say they cannot.

I could some really off-color jokes about what is being found... but to be honest, they aren't really jokes with what the government and other organizations already see from what is being sent.

LaylaGator

Born to Hate Florida State
Lifetime Member
Feb 28, 2021
Like every other bill passed, this one would expand the government's powers beyond what's making the headlines.

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
I think that in the past, Congress would debate and pass bills that were related to basically one or two issues. That was good IMO.
Now it seems that every bill has many, MANY other issues tied to them that benefits people or locations that aren't really relevant to the majority.

Congress has become an organized crime syndicate where every member will vote on a bill as long as there is an angle whereby they get paid personally...

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Like every other bill passed, this one would expand the government's powers beyond what's making the headlines.
All other problems with the bill aside, you are 100% correct... here is my single biggest issue (Constitution/free market aside)...
  1. The words out of the politicians mouths (including Rubio) are "they just need to divest the government (CCP in this case) ownership"
  2. The words in the bill don't say that, at all, it's broad as fuk.

LaylaGator

Born to Hate Florida State
Lifetime Member
Feb 28, 2021
All other problems with the bill aside, you are 100% correct... here is my single biggest issue (Constitution/free market aside)...
  1. The words out of the politicians mouths (including Rubio) are "they just need to divest the government (CCP in this case) ownership"
  2. The words in the bill don't say that, at all, it's broad as fuk.
From what I understand, the government could shut down THIS site, it's so broad.

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017
This "ban" is a pretense. The uniparty/congresscriters want to allow their preferred administrative state to control information. This is just another step.

Getting Tik Tok out of control of a CCP company could have been done much easier - if that was the actual goal/endgame.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.