Phil Steele releases his pre-season top 25 (UF 13th)

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Phil Steele is legit...but all of his stuff is mostly based on a gambling angle. I like where UGA is, A&M is way too high (probably should be 10th), I think UF could have been a couple spots higher (anywhere from 9 to 11).

8 SEC teams in the top 25.

• 1. Ohio State
  • 2. Clemson
  • 3. Alabama
  • 4. Oklahoma
  • 5. Texas A&M
  • 6. LSU
  • 7. Georgia
  • 8. Notre Dame
  • 9. Oregon
  • 10. Penn State
  • 11. USC
  • 12. Texas
  • 13. Florida
  • 14. Wisconsin
  • 15. Michigan
  • 16. North Carolina
  • 17. Miami
  • 18. Virginia Tech
  • 19. Auburn
  • 20. Tennessee
  • 21. Kentucky
  • 22. UCF
  • 23. Iowa
  • 24. Oklahoma State
  • 25. Memphis

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
LSU, TA&M, Notre Dame, Oregon, Texas, Miami, and UCF all too high.

LSU lost all 11 starters on offense to the NFL and their two coordinators
TA&M annual overrating
Notre Dame who they gonna play this year, and they suck more balls than Injun on a regular basis
Oregon lost their qb who was a top 10 pick and were not that great otherwise
Texas annual overrating
Miami does this even need to be explained
UCF because they are a bunch of URGs.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I understand starting LSU at 6 but they won't finish there. I don't get the Texas A&M ranking. That seems way too high. Notre Dame is ranked too high also. I think Texas will improve from last year and should be in the top 10, and I think we're a legit top 10 team as well.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I think Texas will improve from last year and should be in the top 10, and I think we're a legit top 10 team as well.

Seems we have been saying that about Texas for a decade....

Alumni Guy

Lifetime Member
Nov 7, 2015
13th huh? That’s pathetic
I remember being angry when we were out of top 5 and apoplectic if out of top 10 in preseason rankings.

Now, through my Post-Muschamp and Post-Mac therapy, I am finally in the “acceptance” stage of grief.

We are better off having known And loved Preseason top 5 expectations, then having not known them at all.

RIP preseason optimism (1991-2010)*

*zooker years excluded

JDW

Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
The fact that we’re 13th after the two seasons we had and the returning starters is sad in itself and an indictment on our recruiting more than the coaches

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The fact that we’re 13th after the two seasons we had and the returning starters is sad in itself and an indictment on our recruiting more than the coaches

It's an indictment on both, our coaches are did got outcoached by Kirby last year. What has the staff shown us scheme-wise that makes you think they can truly compete against the elites. Now I think they are solid B/B+ coaches (x's and o's), but lets not start to pretend we have A/A+ coaches.

GR8 2B

A Florida Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2016
This is s a pre-season ranking list made in a year in which no team had spring practice or a spring game. It can't possibly be anything more than borderline fiction, at best.

RiverRat

Glass half full
Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2017
Whos Phil Steele?
Looks like a good starting point that is if theres a start.
With our schedule anything is on the table.
I just hope there is a start.

Last edited:

Gatorbreath

Founding Member
The original "Breath" of the GCMB.
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I disagree with having us behind A&M, LSU (too many gone from that offense, including the OC and we get them in the Swamp), ND, Penn State, USCw and Texas.

Aside from that, the top 13 is spot-on. :rolleyes:

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
I think A&M's schedule may play into a high pre-season ranking

vAbelineChristian
vNorthTexas
vARK
@MissSt
vFresnoState
@AU
@USCe
vMiss
vVAN
@ALA
vLSU

Only sure loss is ALA. LSU is a likely loss, AU is a toss up maybe? Other than that, cupcake city.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
His rankings are almost exclusively based on returning starters.

It is his thing.

BULLGATOR

In all kinds of weather...
Apr 27, 2020
His rankings are almost exclusively based on returning starters.

It is his thing.

That would not explain LSU, UGA, or Alabama. However, you are not wrong. I believe he looks at our returning offense of line and it raises a lot of questions.

I have heard Phil Steele interviewed. He’s not a fan of Kyle Trask. He does not believe in him.

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
Seems we have been saying that about Texas for a decade....

Ehlinger is a rising senior and a pretty good QB; and Steele always ranks teams with Sr QBs high.

Their problem last year was injury-related--they lost something like 2/3rds of their starting secondary in the first month of games. In the pass-happy Big 12, that's not a recipe for success.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Ehlinger is a rising senior and a pretty good QB; and Steele always ranks teams with Sr QBs high.

Their problem last year was injury-related--they lost something like 2/3rds of their starting secondary in the first month of games. In the pass-happy Big 12, that's not a recipe for success.

Ehlinger is a hell of a talent, but they have always had something go wrong. Has been that way since the last year of Mack Brown. Until they can prove they can get out of their own way (most of the issues being similar to ours, organizational further up than coaching), how can we trust an organization that can't seem to move forward.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.