Player Communication Skills and Football Ability

I was watching the videos from the last few days over at GatorVision and I couldn't help but notice

• Players who are articulate are less likely to be great football players.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A player's communication skills are not related to their ability / ceiling / potential.

• Players who are articulate are more likely to be great football players.

• It's no longer the offseason. Nobody cares.

• Total voters

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I was watching the videos from the last few days over at GatorVision and I couldn't help but notice how much more articulate many of the players from the last couple of classes are than many of the previous classes. I've heard comments before about how the top athletes will inevitably bring personal character issues. I know that may or may not relate to an individual's ability to communicate clearly and well. However, it made me curious about the opinions of people on this board. What do you think? Are players' communication skills related to their ability to perform well in college football?

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
It depends imo. It seems like there is definitely a correlation on offense in general but not nearly as much on defense.

Turk182

Founding Member
Just don't care anymore
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Every player should be required to take English and Speech Classes.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
If communication skills actually mattered the NFL and NBA would have gone under decades ago.

GatorSkin

Founding Member
Nord for President 2020
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I don't think anyone at FSUcks speaks english:nole:

sonomagator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Communications are important in so far as the necessity to be able to set plays, defenses , coverage etc. A quiet team generally isn't to successful. What I do think is more important than proper syntax is football smarts and the ability to get that across to ones teammates. Of course it's always nice to hear a player interviewed who is articulate. Living in the sf bay area I watch all the Warrriors games,It's always pretty cool when they interview David Lee or Curry or Thompson because you can understand them as opposed to Speikes ( damned good Gator ) but you can barely understand him.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Turk182 said:
I think every student is required.... ???? or have things changed greatly in this society where every kid is entitled to my tax dollars for a college education in some major that can best be described as a hobby?

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Perhaps I'm thinking more along the lines of communication skills being a proxy for measuring, not only intellect, but also a player's laziness and/or attention to detail. There are a myriad of reasons that someone might not be even average at communicating, but some of them may relate to how much they care to do things well / the right way. If the player simply doesn't care about those things - or have the ability to affect them - does that say anything about his probability of caring about or being able to execute the plays well or stay out of trouble?

I'm just curiously asking your opinions.

Turk182

Founding Member
Just don't care anymore
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Turk182 said:
I won't pretend to understand your comment.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Saban and his WIFE emphasize it. Good on them.

Turk182

Founding Member
Just don't care anymore
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Talking about good communication skills, how about that Kristi Malzahn?

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Stanford as of late Duke and occasionally Northwestern put some pretty decent football teams on the field with "articulate" players.....I think we can actually win a championship with similar type players. Screw the Bama's, LSU's and Clown State U's of CFB.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
You can't win a championship without a few boy's from the hood. I can guarantee just about every championship team has atleast one guy with a screw loose. I've seen where some of these kids come from they can't help it how they talk. And I'd much rather have some kid from the hood who don't give a **** to have my back . It's intimidating to guys who aren't used to it.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Turk182;n24616 said:
Talking about good communication skills, how about the Kristi Malzahn?
How does Gus put up with that moron?

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Concrete Helmet;n24628 said:
Stanford as of late Duke and occasionally Northwestern put some pretty decent football teams on the field with "articulate" players.....I think we can actually win a championship with similar type players. Screw the Bama's, LSU's and Clown State U's of CFB.
Bama's players are well spoken before they leave. Part of the "process".

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Turk182 said:
I guess they changed right about when Turk started.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.