POLL: What should happen with Gerald Willis?

In case you don't remember, he delivered a cheap shot to Winston on the sidelines early in the game.

• He learned his lesson, let him play in the bowl game

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Suspend him for part of or the entire bowl game

• Kick him off the team

• Total voters

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Bowl game suspension would be more than sufficient. Although Durkin could take the Jimbo route and say, "Hey Gerald, did you mean to hit Jameis, or was it an accident?" So when Gerald tells him, "Honest, Coach, it was an accident," Durkin can forgive and forget.

gatorfan81

Founding Member
Done
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
I think the rapeist was running at him with those rapey eyes and it scared him. I think he should have ripped off the rapeists helmet and beat the shi# out of him with it.

Leroy Jenkins

Founding Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
Willis really hurt our chances..woulda been third and medium and instead an automatic first down..still don't think you kick him off the team, freshman and all...now if he was a junior, it might be a little different.

KCgator

Superhero
Sep 7, 2014
Okeechobee Joe;n119485 said:
He acted in the heat of the moment. He should not be kicked off the team for this one incident. If the guy has character issues and there have been multiple incidents and this one was just icing on the cake then maybe he needs to be kicked off the team, but I thought Muschamp recruited only high character guys.

Heat of the moment??? He was riding the pine on the sideline.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Isn't he the one that stole someone's cleats? If so, I gotta agree with Mushchamp. Sounds like he has poor judgment and it's just a matter of time before he does something else stupid.

HogtownGator

It's Great to be a CCW
Aug 8, 2014
MJMGator;n119847 said:
Isn't he the one that stole someone's cleats? If so, I gotta agree with Mushchamp. Sounds like he has poor judgment and it's just a matter of time before he does something else stupid.

Yes, one and the same.

Swamp Queen

Founding Member
Mrs. Sasquatch
BANNED
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch;n119505 said:
Bowl game suspension would be more than sufficient. Although Durkin could take the Jimbo route and say, "Hey Gerald, did you mean to hit Jameis, or was it an accident?" So when Gerald tells him, "Honest, Coach, it was an accident," Durkin can forgive and forget.

Clearly it was just "incidental contact".

Reelgator1946

Sep 5, 2014
I thought it was appropriate. The Criminole was about to try to run over him under the pretense he couldn't stop as he ran out of bounds.....Hit him harder next time Willis.

PastyStoole

Founding Member
Man, there's no boundary line to art. ~Bird Parker
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
"Cheap shot" implies intent to injure, or hitting the guy while he wasn't looking. Prior to anything happening, Winston grabbed Willis' facemask and said something to him. Dumb to retaliate like that, but it's hardly a cheap shot. And for what it's worth, McGriff said the same thing on his radio commentary during the game. For all the hype about how Winston gets blamed for everything regardless of guilt, he sure got a free pass on this one.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Teach him to work on his uppercut.

I keed.....I keed...........not really.

QueenCityGator

University of Florida Alumnus
Aug 12, 2014
We're as divided about our next coach as we are about our punishment for Willis. No strong majority either way.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I've changed my mind after seeing what Rapies did right before Willis shoved him. Willis should be given a starting role.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
NavetG8r;n121694 said:
I've changed my mind after seeing what Rapies did right before Willis shoved him. Willis should be given a starting role.

I'd throw in a pair of cleats for good measure.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;n121700 said:
I'd throw in a pair of cleats for good measure.

Good idea. I hear he has trouble keeping up with his. An extra pair or two wouldn't be amiss.

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I would say either let it suffice with the partial gamed missed, suspend him for part of the bowl game that would complete a full games suspension, or suspend him for the entire bowl game (as a maximum penalty). I would also talk to him one-on-one or maybe some combo of head-coach, coordinator and position coach to explain and demonstrate that this behavior isn't acceptable and that it not only reflects poorly on the university and football program, but it also adversely affects the game. I would warn that the next punishment would be more severe for a similar incident and add any additional suspension (see above).

Being kicked off is overkill in my book. However, I don't know that Winston did anything wrong coming off the field - I think he was just trying to stop - but he should have put his hand out to Willis' chest, not his face-mask.

Also, I think he was innocent of stealing a team-member's cleats. I think Mornhinweg's cleats were on the dryer and Willis was borrowing Sherrit's cleats who wore the same number Mornhinweg's cleats were marked with. That's the story I remember Muschamp explaining. Here's a piece from an Orlando Sentinel article about it.

Willis told UFPD he merely grabbed a pair of cleats nearby and put them in his locker. Mornhinweg wore No. 17 last season, the same number as Gators' defensive lineman Jordan Sherrit.

Mornhinweg now wears No. 8, but has equipment that still bears his original number.

The jokes are funny, but somebody should say what was actually reported about the incident.
:peabody:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
NavetG8r;n121694 said:
I guess its from watching John Matuszak and Lyle Alzado as a kid, but I really like mean, nasty, antisocial football players.... especially defensive guys. If we filled our football teams up with nice, polite guys, we'd have soccer teams.

Making run some laps for costing us 15 yards and give him a chance to earn a starting spot next year.

And I agree with Div, teach him to uppercut...

As Mickey Andrews would say, get your money's worth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator