Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Looks like he would be a good pick up

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Looks like he would be a good pick up

He appears more skilled offensively than some bigs UF has brought in over the years. He has a little drop step and some other moves that at least work on the high school level.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Just curious. Shouldn't we have a coach that's youngish and 6'10"+ who can train our bigs properly ?
Also, that guy would be a more meaningful recruiter of Bigs.
If the NBA mistreats Noah, what a great Gator Bigs coach he'd make.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Just curious. Shouldn't we have a coach that's youngish and 6'10"+ who can train our bigs properly ?
Also, that guy would be a more meaningful recruiter of Bigs.
If the NBA mistreats Noah, what a great Gator Bigs coach he'd make.

Yes, Rog. This has been a big concern for me with the staff in that they are all former guards. But good coaches should be able to teach any position. Still having a former big man on staff would make me feel more comfortable.

But, White has been keen to focus on getting some bigs and there is mutual interest. So they likely know the right buttons to push.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Yes, Rog. This has been a big concern for me with the staff in that they are all former guards. But good coaches should be able to teach any position. Still having a former big man on staff would make me feel more comfortable.

But, White has been keen to focus on getting some bigs and there is mutual interest. So they likely know the right buttons to push.

True MidwestChomp. Still, in on-court practices, a shorty guard cannot impart the teachings on the butt-clearing bump & forceful positioning that a game experienced Big-coach can. And there has
to be "truth-passion" in recruiting statements so extra-convincing that only a veteran of years of real experience doing it for 20-30 minutes of the incessant bashing against 6'10"+ adversities.
I mean, like you alluded to, what is the ratio of a staff's guard-coaches to Big coaches ?
I think there is a shortage of Big-men coaching. We just need to be recruiting on a Bigs coach for our future. I'd be really excited with us getting such a coach.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
True MidwestChomp. Still, in on-court practices, a shorty guard cannot impart the teachings on the butt-clearing bump & forceful positioning that a game experienced Big-coach can. And there has
to be "truth-passion" in recruiting statements so extra-convincing that only a veteran of years of real experience doing it for 20-30 minutes of the incessant bashing against 6'10"+ adversities.
I mean, like you alluded to, what is the ratio of a staff's guard-coaches to Big coaches ?
I think there is a shortage of Big-men coaching. We just need to be recruiting on a Bigs coach for our future. I'd be really excited with us getting such a coach.
Funny thing is, I thought our bigs played way better than our guards.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Funny thing is, I thought our bigs played way better than our guards.

I agree, but I think the worry is more long term. UF's bigs in White's first year were just better players than UF's guards. Oddly Donovan often maybe usually had better bigs than guards at UF. Hopefully this factor will help this staff continue to recruit bigs and hopefully this staff does not fall into the mid-major 3 guard offense trap.

gators4224

Apr 30, 2016
Yea imo, it helps a ton to have two solidified starters with one 6'9+ and one 6'10/6'11 +. Go look at Kentuckys starting lineup every year, and you usually see this trend. Ideally, you have at minimum around 3-4 guys at least 6-9/6-10+ who you can count on to contribute meaningful minutes doing work in the post/rebounds and maybe one has a good shot to go along with that.

Last edited:

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Just one check on FG% and you'll see the team leader is always the Big. We need that efficiency,
especially when our guards aren't so accurate. Also, most of our opponents want to beat us with
their Big, so we need our athletic Big to thwart theirs with his defensive positioning and blocks, as well as
shot altering. But also, it is a thing of beauty to have great shooter outside.

gators4224

Apr 30, 2016
I just checked and I believe in the last two recruiting classes alone KU has signed 6 guys "6-9" or more. In comparison, we have signed two "6-9" or more... Hayes 6-9 (2015) and Gak 6-11 (2016). I understand most talented players leave KU after a year, so they have to take more guys while guys at UF generally stay longer, but if we go up against these teams with a significant disadvantage in frontcourt size and depth than we better have some really really good shooting/ offensive prowess which i'm sorry to say we just haven't had recently

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.