Purdue fans take on Appleby

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Found this on gatorcountry via volnation (posted by a Tenn fan/poster). I'll link it so there's no "copyright" issues. These are comments from a Purdue fan board that a Gator fan posted on asking about AA when he was at Purdue. Some good and bad comments:

http://www.gatorcountry.com/swampga...uss-their-for-their-former-qb-appleby.350731/

Originally Posted by :
Big arm, but will stare down his receivers and try to force ball into coverage. Has talent our coaches ruined any chance of him playing well here. Play good D and run the ball don't put the game in his hands.

Originally Posted by :
Florida isn't beating many in the SEC with him at QB.
He hasn't been on a winning team in all of his career including North Canton High School.
I am not sure Franks will get that redshirt if Luke is out for a long time.

Originally Posted by :
Yea you guys are in trouble. Etling and Appleby are too different cases. Appleby never had enough skill. Hard worker and a good guy for sure. But will stare at one receiver until their is a hole in his chest and then throw the ball. Either it will be picked or the receiver will get murdered. He might win a game just b/c of the unknown factor. Thats how we beat Ill on the road a couple years ago. People didn't know what to expect when they played him. Once the tape was out, teams shut him down no problem.

Originally Posted by :
Think Tebow with all of the stupid God stuff but none of the talent...

Originally Posted by :
don't feel he is as bad as some want to make him out. He does have a tendency to force the ball at times, but can help a team if is limited in the number of throws that he will need to make. He is also a good scrambler that can surprise you with his legs. If you allow him to manage the game, you should be alright in my opinion. There may be some questions as to whether he will allow that to happen.

Originally Posted by :
Trask played at the HS I coached at and he and Appleby have many similarities except in the game experience! Mainly pocket passers but can occasionally run the read option...my guess is with Florida's talent he won't be asked to win the game just don't lose it and Appleby can do that!

Originally Posted by :
Fine young man
Hard worker
Good leader
Smart young man
Not a long pass QB
You have talent he can play with
We did not
Austin Appleby will be very very good for you
Sorry that he left us but understandable
Our coach is the worst in Purdue's history
That's saying a lot

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
Mixed bag...

I won't judge any player till I see them for an extended time wearing the orange and blue. If he blows dickhole this weekend then we know he sucks dick....if not then we will be fine till LDR is back

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Play good D and run the ball don't put the game in his hands.
This seems to be what many of our posters have determined is our best chance for a successful outcome against UT where Appleby is concerned. Thus, the big keys sound like (1) Appleby and (1a) OL...or vice versa?

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I know this is a broken record from me, but he will now have UF coaching and UF talent to work with. I don't think AA is an All-SEC type but I do think he's serviceable....if he doesn't turn it over. I think he's ever bit as good as Grier was last year after 3 college games under his belt. Again, if he doesn't turn into a turnover machine I think he lead the offense to 3-5 scores (FGs/TDs)....and about 17-27 points.

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I like a comment on another site that said we are basically getting Driskel back for a couple of games.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I read the transcript of the podcast from the Gator Country guys (Andrew Spivey and Nick de la Torre). Here is what Nick said as he attended practice in Spring, Fall and first 2 weeks..

http://www.gatorcountry.com/feature...gators-football-win-over-north-texas-podcast/

The piece that really worries me is the accuracy. If he can't hit the open guy and that turns into incompletions or interceptions we are in trouble. We need to be able to move the ball and give our D some rest as well as score points.

Appleby discussion:

Andrew:Let’s talk Austin Appleby going forward. You and I are going to differ here. It’s cool. It’s completely cool. Now, here’s the thing I want to say though, Nick. This is what I want to say to everyone. Be careful of what you take from him from his Purdue time. ****ty team around a quarterback makes the quarterback even worse. A bad quarterback around the team makes the team worse. So be careful of that. I will say this, and, Nick, you heard the same thing, and we both laughed. Players, people around the program, liked Appleby in the fall. Not more than Del Rio, but it was constant. We like Appleby. We’re going to see it. I’m not saying I believe it. We’re going to see it. I will say this. It doesn’t take a rocket science to run Mac’s offense. It takes someone that can simply throw the ball. That’s why Treon Harris failed.
Nick:I think, and I’m going to write on Sunday, so check that out on Sunday night or Monday, I’m going to write that losing Del Rio, yesterday we didn’t know, today we think it might not be as serious as originally feared, but it’s kind of what we talked about before the year. Remember we say if you need a quarterback for a week, it’s probably Appleby. If you’re looking at something long term, probably going to look at one of the freshmen. Looking at you, Kyle Trask.
Andrew:Right.
Nick:To me, you can’t start a freshman next week. So Appleby’s your guy. A conversation I had in the fall was don’t sleep on Appleby. I respond, he’s not beating Del Rio for the starting job. Oh, no, of course not, but he’s not bad. He’s a good quarterback. If that’s buy or sell, I’m selling.
Andrew:Here’s the thing. Nick, you know I had this conversation with someone, and we’ll remain nameless on who this conversation was. I posed this question to said person. I said, Appleby just really isn’t that good; he’s just here for depth. Said person responds, is he the greatest quarterback? No. But he can knock that window out beside us that Treon Harris couldn’t. If we have to go to him, he’s better than Treon Harris.
Nick:To me that means nothing, because that was trash. So you’re better than one of the worst quarterbacks Florida’s had in history.
Andrew:Right. I respond to you with this, Nick. You look at the games last year. If Treon just was able to look and find the open receiver that was wide open in the games, he doesn’t do bad.
Nick:My problem with Appleby is accuracy. So even if you’re finding…
Andrew:I understand that.
Nick:So even if you’re finding that open guy.
Andrew:Can you hit him?
Nick:Can you hit him? I don’t think he consistently does. Then when does that turn into interceptions? When do incompletions turn to interceptions?

Andrew:Will you give me this? The jury’s still out.
Nick:I don’t have any confidence in Austin Appleby running Florida. I think the things we’ve talked about will help him. We talked about the running game and the running game being strong. We talked about the defense being stupid, and I think those things help him. We’ve also talked about you don’t need a quarterback to win you the game, but I think Appleby is a quarterback that could lose you a game. Whereas we talked about Del Rio, said he’s not going to be the reason you lose a game. He might not win it for you, but we don’t think that he can lose you a game. I think Appleby’s the kind of quarterback that can make those mistakes and can lose you a game.
Andrew:Nick, you know I love you, but do you really and truly believe Mac’s going to put him in the opportunity to lose the game? I’m just asking.
Nick:You’ve gotten past the easier part of your schedule.
Andrew:It’s not about the easy part of the schedule.
Nick:You can’t, and you know this, every football game doesn’t go exactly how you want it, so there will be times where the quarterback will have to make a play.
Andrew:Right. I am with you with that.
Nick:Especially if you get into the situation where, now what happened last year is Treon puts on film, guy can’t throw. Okay, so now we’re not going to let him run. Appleby can move a little bit.
Andrew:He has a rocket of an arm.
Nick:He’s not Lamar Jackson, but he can move a little bit. If teams are going to say, listen, we’re going to keep you in the pocket and make you throw, and he shows that he can’t do that, now you’re getting into a situation where the other defense is dictating the game. That’s what happened last year.
Andrew:I’m with you. We’ll see. That’s what I’ll say. We’ll see.
Nick:I think everyone keeps saying that this battle was so close.
Andrew:It wasn’t close.
Nick:It wasn’t close. That’s where in my mind that I’m kind of writing Appleby off. You’re telling me it’s close, then why did he not get any snaps? Last year with Grier and Treon they said it was close, and that was not close, but they said it was close, and you saw them share snaps. There were no shared snaps this year. So how close was it?
Andrew:Here’s the thing. I’m not arguing that it wasn’t close, because I don’t think it was close. My argument is this, and that is I saw how bad Treon Harris was, and I saw how close Florida was. We forget that the Florida State game was a one score game heading into the 4th quarter last year. We forget that. With a quarterback capable of adding two to two, we’ll see. My thing is this. This defense is so damn good that you’re just asking your quarterback not to be stupid.
Nick:Is Austin Appleby Treon Harris? Lord no. He is better than Treon Harris. There’s a reason he’s the backup quarterback. There’s a reason he’s a graduate transfer quarterback. Can you name a graduate transfer quarterback outside of Russell Wilson that had any kind of success? No, because those quarterbacks…
Andrew:Jake Coker disagrees.
Nick:We can’t compare.
Andrew:I’m just saying, you make a point. I’m making a point back. Jake Coker disagrees.
Nick:I think Alabama’s the exception to the rule.
Andrew:Davis Webb out of Cal does okay.
Nick:What’s Davis Webb doing?
Andrew:They beat a pretty good Texas team.
Nick:Graduate transfer quarterbacks are in their fifth year of school for a reason, and it’s because they’re not world beaters.
Andrew:Here’s the thing, and for everyone, Nick and I are just debating this. You and I, we say they’re game managers. Game managers don’t get drafted three years out of high school, or in college. I’m not saying Appleby’s that. I’m just saying, let’s see what he brings before we make a jury on this kid. Here’s the thing. Maybe, I mean, Nick, you’re a baseball guy like me. How many times have you seen a pitcher trade teams, go to a new pitching coach, and become a better player?
Nick:Yeah. I’m just selling it. I’m selling hard on Appleby.
Andrew:I’m just saying that the jury should still be out. People should not make a definite decision on Appleby until we see it. We have to see it. That is my point. We have to see it. Anybody, and this goes for you too Nick, that has a jury out on him that he’s going to fail simply is wrong. You don’t know. You haven’t seen it. You haven’t seen him. You haven’t seen him under McElwain. You haven’t seen it. You just haven’t. I’m not comparing this, but people said the same thing about Brady when he was in the NFL when Bledsoe was the guy. Brady couldn’t beat out Bledsoe, so he’s not that good. I’m not saying Appleby’s Brady. I’m just saying.
Nick:Here we go. I don’t think the jury’s out. I’m just selling.
Andrew:Okay.
Nick:Is there a big enough sample size to make a decision? No.
Andrew:Okay.
Nick:There isn’t, but I’m selling. I’ve seen him in the spring and in the fall, and I’ve made that point about him not being what Luke Del Rio is very clear, and you’ve seen what the offense is with Luke Del Rio, who’s in my opinion a better quarterback. So I don’t see the offense getting better with Austin Appleby.
Andrew:I don’t think it gets better, but…
Nick:I don’t think it stays the same.
Andrew:Okay. We’ll agree to disagree here.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I read the transcript of the podcast from the Gator Country guys (Andrew Spivey and Nick de la Torre). Here is what Nick said as he attended practice in Spring, Fall and first 2 weeks..

http://www.gatorcountry.com/feature...gators-football-win-over-north-texas-podcast/

The piece that really worries me is the accuracy. If he can't hit the open guy and that turns into incompletions or interceptions we are in trouble. We need to be able to move the ball and give our D some rest as well as score points.

Appleby discussion:

Thanks for posting. Reading through that transcript, like many posters here, Nick doesn't think much of our coaching staff. If they put Appleby in silly situations that's on them. They know what his limits are. Again, he has much better talent....and much better coaching. I think he'll do good enough. And that's about what LDR was doing in 2 of his 3 starts.

I Have No Friends :(

Founding Member
Gator Bait! It's only racist to dumb Fuchs
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Thanks for posting. Reading through that transcript, like many posters here, Nick doesn't think much of our coaching staff.

And he slobbered all over Muschamp and his staff. I like reading some stuff from Nick, but his opinions on coaching staffs aren't worth anything.

Sep 29, 2015
The one Purdue fan's post remarking that he is not a long ball passer is a little concerning. One of the bright spots thus far on O is that we've had some success throwing over the top to Callaway and others. That has kept defenses from stacking the box with the safeties. Those passes are high risk/high reward too. If they're not connecting they can be drive killers; but when they are, you usually get some points on the board and create space for the backs to operate. Hopefully that poster's opinion is an anomaly, since I've not read that anywhere else, yet we have heard about his rocket arm.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Thanks for posting. Reading through that transcript, like many posters here, Nick doesn't think much of our coaching staff. If they put Appleby in silly situations that's on them. They know what his limits are. Again, he has much better talent....and much better coaching. I think he'll do good enough. And that's about what LDR was doing in 2 of his 3 starts.

I've listened to a lot of their podcasts and I think Nick actually thinks highly of the coaching staff. I think he also realizes that in the course of a big game on the road it is likely that you are going to need your QB to make plays and from what he has seen Appleby is not accurate. You can find the right guy and he can be open, but if you can't get it there... it could cause problems. LDR was very accurate, even though I didn't think he played well last week before he got injured he was accurate.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
He was well on his way to losing to em twice. If he finishes his last 2 games against ut, this streak wouldn't still be alive.

Like I said, Driskel never lost to UT.....

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I know this is a broken record from me, but he will now have UF coaching and UF talent to work with.
I don't think we have an overwhelmingly great coaching staff on the offensive side of the ball. Nor are we very talented at the receiver position outside of Callaway.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I don't think we have an overwhelmingly great coaching staff on the offensive side of the ball. Nor are we very talented at the receiver position outside of Callaway.

So, we're Purdue South?

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I could post a comment about making a comment that you're not going to comment but I'll leave that till later as well.

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014

I agree with the staff; although I think Skipper does his job.

I highly disagree with receiver position assessment; I think we are really talented, just really young. Swain, Hammond, and yes even Cleveland will be great in the coming years

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.