QB Battle: Del Rio has the lead, gets extra year of eligibility

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
But I thought Trask was the guy? In 2017 once Allen joins, we'll have three Elite 11 QBs on roster. That's impressive.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I really hope he, or any of the other guys, are amazing. But at this point, I have no hope regarding quarterbacks. None.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Appleby and Del Rio are having an actual competition this year. With Appleby getting Driskeled at his former school, he's a bit of a head case. Del Rio should win this job while Appleby tries to get some confidence back.

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
Is anyone but me a little concerned about Del Rio and his eligibility? I mean we have Trask, Franks, Allen for 2017...if Del Rio has that much time left we could potentially lose all 3 to transfer.

Del Rio just seems like a band-aid rather than an actual fix

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Is anyone but me a little concerned about Del Rio and his eligibility? I mean we have Trask, Franks, Allen for 2017...if Del Rio has that much time left we could potentially lose all 3 to transfer.

With our recent history at QB I would like them all around as long as possible. Between injuries, suspensions for bad behavior or taking PEDs, or just being horrible... the more the merrier for as long as possible!

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
With our recent history at QB I would like them all around as long as possible. Between injuries, suspensions for bad behavior or taking PEDs, or just being horrible... the more the merrier for as long as possible!

I hear ya but does anyone really believe that Allen or Franks is going to want to sit for three years before taking over? I mean I guess you RS Franks this year which means he would take the reins in two more but then what about Allen?

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015

Would you rather be playing the best of the group and the others choose to move on, or be playing whomever you have left standing on the sideline (like we have the last 6 yrs)? I think ALL of them are unafraid of the competition and believe they can win the starting position. If I'm wrong on that, you'll see that individual be the first to transfer, and quite truthfully we wouldn't have wanted them anyway. Assuming those who stay are competing, then you have to like all aspects of that - the best man starts, the others are pushing him in practices, and we have depth for any injuries. No downside.

If JDR has 3 yrs instead of 2....bfd. ALL the QBs are coming here to be the starter, each and every year they are here. They could be QB1 and get unseated by someone better - tough titty, and yay for the Gators. Work harder and win back that spot. Yay for the Gators. Downside?

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
If Allen is better than Del Rio, why make him sit?

I'm thinking more along the lines of what if he isn't the greatest but also doesn't make mistakes or turn it over....

It's well known Del Rio has the weakest arm on the team outside of Treon Harris.....that concerns me and especially so with 3 years of elgibility

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
Would you rather be playing the best of the group and the others choose to move on, or be playing whomever you have left standing on the sideline (like we have the last 6 yrs)? I think ALL of them are unafraid of the competition and believe they can win the starting position. If I'm wrong on that, you'll see that individual be the first to transfer, and quite truthfully we wouldn't have wanted them anyway. Assuming those who stay are competing, then you have to like all aspects of that - the best man starts, the others are pushing him in practices, and we have depth for any injuries. No downside.

If JDR has 3 yrs instead of 2....bfd. ALL the QBs are coming here to be the starter, each and every year they are here. They could be QB1 and get unseated by someone better - tough titty, and yay for the Gators. Work harder and win back that spot. Yay for the Gators. Downside?

I'm not disagreeing with what you are saying; I do believe that I'm valid in my concern of ever getting back to the levels of depth that we experienced these last few years.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
I see where you're coming from, but take the worst case....JDR starts now and the next 2 yrs. Everyone on the roster doesn't want to ride behind him. It will open up new spots with better timing to be starters for their careers, while we have someone competent at the helm and they learn the system. Win!

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
If Allen is better than Del Rio, why make him sit?
The only concern I would have about Allen is whether he would re-open his recruitment if it looked too crowded at QB. But he seems to be all Gator so I'm not really worried about that. Allen could RS and have plenty of time to play after LDR leaves if LDR somehow stays healthy and holds the job as starter for 3 years, which seems like a long shot. But if that happens it would probably be Franks and Trask that are the odd men out.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014

If Del Rio becomes the starter and is similar to any of the Bama QBs that McElwain coached I'll gladly take him for three years. Hopefully a few of the other guys stay, but QB transfers are almost guaranteed. A "bird in the hand..."

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
I don't think anyone is too concerned about JDR having the lead right now. In fact, I'd expect it given his year under Nuss at AL, and his year under MacNuss at FLA. He knows more of what's expected and how to execute than anyone else in this system. I understand he has hardly any real game snaps - I wouldn't count that for much. I'd say the practice reps have put him way ahead of the freshmen, obviously, and will defer to seeing the Spring Game to guess how his 'experience' prepares him compared to a shell-shocked PUR transfer. But most of all, and this is key, it is only Spring. All QBs have several more months to wrap their heads around the playbook and prove to coaches they are ready to perform on the field. Nobody has been in the coaches' minds and eyes than JDR, now that WG is gone and TH is not the only option. The others have the spring and summer to compete and prove themselves.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
The other thing to keep in mind is that if JDR is so good and plays at a high level then that means the Gators will be winning and we will be having very good offensive numbers. He might not stay 3 years then... he might leave early because he has had so much success...

If he is mediocre then I think other QBs will have the chance to take the job away from him.

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Is it just me or does Del Rio seem to have an unusual throwing motion?

6_4370166.jpg

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member

The way I see it is it gives allen another year to develop

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The only concern I would have about Allen is whether he would re-open his recruitment if it looked too crowded at QB. But he seems to be all Gator so I'm not really worried about that. Allen could RS and have plenty of time to play after LDR leaves if LDR somehow stays healthy and holds the job as starter for 3 years, which seems like a long shot. But if that happens it would probably be Franks and Trask that are the odd men out.
Allen is on record saying that he will compete and win. I think he said that after Franks committed. After watching the Army game, I don't see Franks ready before his RS Jr year.

On LDR's arm strength, Montana and Wuerffel had below average strength. If LDR knows the offense and can read defenses, he'll work. The OLine should be much improved, which will help whoever is QB.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator