Random, sometimes funny, gif and post padding thread #5

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
All this aside...the original post said 3300 square feet per second. Area divided by time.
Not quite sure where you are going here. Feet per second is the standard for measuring muzzle velocity - though that number is specific to when the projectile first departs the barrel.

In @serendipity ’s response he questioned the meme’s claim of a bullet traveling at 3300 feet/second, commenting, “no bullet goes that fast, see this site.” The site he linked, when one dug deeper, showed, in fact, that a Remington .223 caliber, 45 grain jacketed hollow point fired from an 18” barrel will reach a velocity of 3354 ft/sec.

In the end, it’s all irrelevant. The meme clearly cherry picked a high, but accurate, number for effect, but let’s face it: even a 9mm round moving at 1300-1500 ft/sec is moving pretty damn fast; particularly so when headed in your direction!

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
Not quite sure where you are going here. Feet per second is the standard for measuring muzzle velocity - though that number is specific to when the projectile first departs the barrel.

In @serendipity ’s response he questioned the meme’s claim of a bullet traveling at 3300 feet/second, commenting, “no bullet goes that fast, see this site.” The site he linked, when one dug deeper, showed, in fact, that a Remington .223 caliber, 45 grain jacketed hollow point fired from an 18” barrel will reach a velocity of 3354 ft/sec.

In the end, it’s all irrelevant. The meme clearly cherry picked a high, but accurate, number for effect, but let’s face it: even a 9mm round moving at 1300-1500 ft/sec is moving pretty damn fast; particularly so when headed in your direction!
Go back and look at Nalts meme.

It's listing velocity as SQUARE feet per second.
As in length x width /time
Area/time
Area /time is not velocity.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
SQUARE feet per second.
Ok. Not sure how that matters on an object moving in a linear direction, but whatever.

Edit: Ok. I see your point that the meme said “square feet per second” vs “feet per second.” (Shame on me for not reading more closely; Mea culpa.) I suspect the meme’s author did not know the difference, as opposed to any attempt at an exaggeration for effect. And to Serendipity’s point, I don’t think that’s what he was focused on, though he’s fully capable to speak for himself.

Last edited:

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Please see my reply above. I edited it for clarity. Nalts meme is trashing the anti gunners for being dumb.
No disagreement there. But as I noted, in a post somewhere above, a bullet headed in your direction is moving crazy fast.

Talking about muzzle velocity is a dumb way to go for anti-gunners. As someone who has been shot at, I can assure you, in that moment, muzzle velocity is the furthest thing from your mind.

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
No disagreement there. But as I noted, in a post somewhere above, a bullet headed in your direction is moving crazy fast.

Talking about muzzle velocity is a dumb way to go for anti-gunners. As someone who has been shot at, I can assure you, in that moment, muzzle velocity is the furthest thing from your mind.
No arguments here. And I agree completely that 3300 fps is a very reasonable rifle velocity.

serendipity

Nov 26, 2022
Ummmm……on the link go over to the far right at the bottom and click on where it says .223 rifle. With a barrel length exceeding 16” and a Remington round 50 grains or less, they will exceed 3,000 ft/sec.

@Detroitgator and some of our other firearms experts should feel to correct me, but I seem to recall some rifles can fire a projectile as fast as 5K feet/sec.

Handgun rounds of course move much slower (no where near 3K ft/sec as your link correctly shows), but the round in the meme is clearly a rifle round.
Yes, what you and the others stated is correct. For the ,223 there are some rounds in some barrels that will achieve the 3300 FPS at the muzzle, so I stand corrected. As was also noted, that number was cherry picked for the sake of their "message". When it comes to the MSMedia, whatever they can do to create the most hysteria is what they will publish if they think it will generate revenue, regardless of any inconvenient facts.

This seems to be the MSM references for all firearms.
1712501036498.png

Attachments

• 1712501036637.png
    1712501036637.png
    118.7 KB · Views: 3

serendipity

Nov 26, 2022

I thank God I've not had that experience. But you are correct, muzzle velocity is a meaningless statistic when you're the target.

Spurffelbow833

Supporting Member
Jun 23, 2020
Square feet per second is a measure of velocity in a four dimensional space. It won't work here, although I nearly grasped it conceptually for a moment when I saw it in that post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.