Randy Shannon hired to be Co-DC, Associate HC, LB coach, recruiting coordinator - will help us more

jaywalker72

Founding Member
Current Status: Dumper
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Yes, I'll wait to be merged. Thank you!

Julie Quittner
@JQuittner

Randy Shannon to be Florida's recruiting coordinator and LB coach- that's a great get for McElwain

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Have I mentioned lately how much I LOVE Randy Storm Warning Shannon?

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
If true, I wonder 1) how long it will take for a reporter to bring up his famous quote and 2) who will it be? This should be fun.

randy_shannon.jpg

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
More confirmation.

@McMurphyESPN: Arkansas asst/former UM coach Randy Shannon will be Florida LB coach source told @ESPN. 1st reported by @Brody_IAKOW

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'm guessing the staff doesn't feel confident that TR is sticking around. Granted they coach different positions, but you'd think TR would be the recruiting coordinator.

Go Gata

Founding Member
aka Emersom Bigguns
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJ;n140167 said:
I'm guessing the staff doesn't feel confident that TR is sticking around. Granted they coach different positions, but you'd think TR would be the recruiting coordinator.

This is what I was thinking. Plan B if TRob were to leave for Auburn. I wonder if Shannon maintained his relationship with S FL recruits while at Arky State

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
Maybe being co-coordinator will take up more of his time and "coordinating" recruiting might not mean being in charge or having input. I would like them both to stay especially if Randy can perform the Gator way and forget whatever he might have gotten from the Miami way. We have to trust coach until we see evidence that he is not performing.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Hiring of Shannon should improve our chances on Coney, Holland, Smith, and Thomas

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
@FootballScoop: Interested to see how they addressed this MT @NWARobbie: Shannon's Arkansas contract has a $100k buyout today. Drops to $50,000 tomorrow.

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Spivey from gator country says t-rob told mcelwain he's gone.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
williston_gator;140176 said:
@FootballScoop: Interested to see how they addressed this MT @NWARobbie: Shannon's Arkansas contract has a $100k buyout today. Drops to $50,000 tomorrow.

Wait till tomorrow? :dunno:

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
alcoholica;140174 said:
Hiring of Shannon should improve our chances on Coney, Holland, Smith, and Thomas

I haven't heard of Holland being connected to Shannon.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
williston_gator;n140178 said:
Spivey from gator country says t-rob told mcelwain he's gone.

Looks like he deleted that tweet

biggator6

Oct 2, 2014
Can I say that, while he is a decent coach and a solid recruiter, I'm not really thrilled with this hire.

The guy was at Miami for a LONG time - through virtually every scummy scandal. Just doesn't feel right bringing in a guy with that much smoke around him.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
biggator6;n140185 said:
Can I say that, while he is a decent coach and a solid recruiter, I'm not really thrilled with this hire.

The guy was at Miami for a LONG time - through virtually every scummy scandal. Just doesn't feel right bringing in a guy with that much smoke around him.

Wasn't involved in the Shapiro scandal, literally everyone around the program has said that, and the NCAA didn't touch him after leaving scorched earth around that program.

He's a hell of a position coach and the #1 pipeline to south Florida recruiting, this is a HUGE hire for McElwain.

biggator6

Oct 2, 2014
Captain Sasquatch;n140186 said:
Wasn't involved in the Shapiro scandal, literally everyone around the program has said that, and the NCAA didn't touch him after leaving scorched earth around that program.

He's a hell of a position coach and the #1 pipeline to south Florida recruiting, this is a HUGE hire for McElwain.

He was the HEAD COACH! Even if he wasn't directly involved.. if he wasn't acutely aware of that much stuff going on, he's clueless.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
biggator6;n140187 said:
He was the HEAD COACH! Even if he wasn't directly involved.. if he wasn't acutely aware of that much stuff going on, he's clueless.

In his defense, his resume of clearing up the canes' off-the-field problems runs in stark contrast to those scandals. They actually became respectable in terms of behavior and image when he was there. What Shapiro was doing, which was even cool with Shalala at the time, was probably way over his head. It just wouldn't make sense for him to crack down on things like guns and arrests, all while endorsing major NCAA violations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.