Randy Shannon hired to be Co-DC, Associate HC, LB coach, recruiting coordinator - will help us more

westflgator

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n140278 said:
I'm a huge fan of the hire. But what position will Collins be coaching? He's a linebackers coach also

He has also coached the secondary in his coaching career as well. As far as I can tell he has never coached the D line unit as a position coach. So my guess would be, based on his past, would be that he may take over that roll if T Rob does in fact leave. It will be interesting to see in the days ahead how it plays out...

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
@AndrewSpiveyGC: GatorCountry has confirmed that Randy Shannon has been hired at Florida as linebacker coach.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
williston_gator;140284 said:
@DerekTysonESPN: Jeff Holland on Randy Shannon: "Oh that's my boy. We got a great relationship. That helps Florida out a lot with me." #Gators

Props to Alcolica for bringing this up earlier

NCOGator

Sep 5, 2014
I thin the state of "Miami" will now be called the State of "G'ville"! With Shannon and T-Rob. Great news for the Gator Nation!!!

KCgator

Superhero
Sep 7, 2014
oxrageous;n140268 said:
I personally think it's a good hire as a positional coach. I think the guy is a flake and really isn't much of a coach, but the recruits seem to like him. I'm glad that Mac has seen what everyone other than Muschamp saw - that we have to recapture Florida recruiting.

Seems like a bit of a contradiction. It's a good hire as a positional coach, yet he isn't much of a coach. And a flake? Based on what. In light of losing Robinson, this is a great pickup.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
KCgator;n140340 said:
Seems like a bit of a contradiction. It's a good hire as a positional coach, yet he isn't much of a coach. And a flake? Based on what. In light of losing Robinson, this is a great pickup.
Anyone who ever made the quote "it will help us more than you'll ever know" because you're butthurt a late FG was kicked in a game you were already down 3 TD's, is a flake.

I'm glad he's here for recruiting. I have my doubts he can coach a lick.

KCgator

Superhero
Sep 7, 2014
oxrageous;n140347 said:
Anyone who ever made the quote "it will help us more than you'll ever know" because you're butthurt a late FG was kicked in a game you were already down 3 TD's, is a flake.

Brandon Spikes loves the hire.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I think it's a good hire, especially if Robinson leaves. He did a very good job at Arkansas both coaching and recruiting imo, and I think he'll thrive recruiting the state of Florida while at UF.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n140347 said:

He was a douche as a head coach, and that statement still is humorous. You don't want a team to score late, stop them. But as a position coach, he is supposed to be pretty good.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJ;n140181 said:
I haven't heard of Holland being connected to Shannon.

Not a direct connection at all, but he is an established LB coach with a positive reputation on the defensive side of the ball. No offense to Hutzler, but who knows who he is? Similar scheme to Muschamp with an upgrade as a position coach. It should definitely help with the LB's, even if it's only from reputation. If someone does some research, I'm sure it will show some highly touted LB's that he's coached.

Scott512

Sep 1, 2014
I hope Shannon helps short and long term. I think he will help especially with South Florida where he recruited for Miami.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
My first reaction is "good hire"!

Too bad about losing TRob, I think he would have been a good co-DC.

I Have No Friends :(

Founding Member
Gator Bait! It's only racist to dumb Fuchs
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I'm having a hard time believing that if I told people at the beginning of this season that we were going to fire Muschamp and replace his staff with the architect of the 115th ranked offense at Michigan, a DC who drinks out of a homemade 'Swag Cup' and awards 'Juice points' to his players, and Randy Shannon that I would get a standing ovation.

Then again, people thought Saban was crazy for hiring Lane Kiffin, so I'm just going to wait and see what comes of all this.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I Have No Friends :(;n140396 said:
I'm having a hard time believing that if I told people at the beginning of this season that we were going to fire Muschamp and replace his staff with the architect of the 115th ranked offense at Michigan, a DC who drinks out of a homemade 'Swag Cup' and awards 'Juice points' to his players, and Randy Shannon that I would get a standing ovation.
Just the firing of Muschamp alone warranted the standing ovation. We're already a better team.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I Have No Friends :(;n140396 said:

Then again, people thought Saban was crazy for hiring Lane Kiffin, so I'm just going to wait and see what comes of all this.

Don't hate on the Swag Cup, you'll lose all your Juice Points.

GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
Great hire! All the ladies in south fla know this playa is who they want their boys recruited by!!! Besides, did anyone notice Arkansas lb play??? It was lights out!

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.