Rays New Stadium

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
The Tampa Bay Rays announce their new stadium plan:

To recap: Having the worst attendance in MLB, their plan is to build a $1.3b, 30,000-seat bandbox that will be the smallest stadium in MLB and right next to their historically lousy, isolated location. People don’t want to fight through Tampa and cross bridges to get there. It’s being packaged with some urban redevelopment plans. Fine if that sells the public piece of it, but that won’t increase attendance.

Metro Tampa is booming as are points north, south and east of Tampa. St. Pete is improving but was built out decades ago has no room to grow like that.

The Trop should have never been built and this is quadrupling down on their mistake. Dumb.

Alumni Guy

Lifetime Member
Nov 7, 2015
The Tampa Bay Rays announce their new stadium plan:

To recap: Having the worst attendance in MLB, their plan is to build a $1.3b, 30,000-seat bandbox that will be the smallest stadium in MLB and right next to their historically lousy, isolated location. People don’t want to fight through Tampa and cross bridges to get there. It’s being packaged with some urban redevelopment plans. Fine if that sells the public piece of it, but that won’t increase attendance.

Metro Tampa is booming as are points north, south and east of Tampa. St. Pete is improving but was built out decades ago has no room to grow like that.

The Trop should have never been built and this is quadrupling down on their mistake. Dumb.
Couldn’t agree more: that part of St Pete is not only a pain to get to, but it’s basically in a deadzone away from gulf and bay,

Then, they aren’t going retracting roof. 2nd verse, same as the first. It’s gonna fail.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Actually, their reasoning was how much of the total bill they would have to foot in Tampa (all) vs. St. Petersburg (55%). Twice the Tampa group approached them. Twice they got ghosted for the same reason. Tampa was all about protecting the taxpayer. Good for them. They lost out on an MLB team.

Before we go further down the path of location logic, downtown St. Pete is only about 40 years removed from being seen as an overgrown ACLF. It's younger, it's got a vibrant waterfront, lots of cool restaurants and downtown parks and it has its own Grand Prix. It's got the Vinoy and the Dali Museum. The beach and the Don Cesar are nearby. The stadium project will bring with it an expansive new shopping element that fits well with the background. I'd rather spend an afternoon there than sterile downtown Tampa.

81 x 30,000 = 2,430,000. The Rays think they can get in that vicinity. They'll make the money they need and want. Personally, I'm glad they're staying. I like going to Rays games. I wouldn't if they were in Ybor.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
Actually, their reasoning was how much of the total bill they would have to foot in Tampa (all) vs. St. Petersburg (55%). Twice the Tampa group approached them. Twice they got ghosted for the same reason. Tampa was all about protecting the taxpayer. Good for them. They lost out on an MLB team.

Before we go further down the path of location logic, downtown St. Pete is only about 40 years removed from being seen as an overgrown ACLF. It's younger, it's got a vibrant waterfront, lots of cool restaurants and downtown parks and it has its own Grand Prix. It's got the Vinoy and the Dali Museum. The beach and the Don Cesar are nearby. The stadium project will bring with it an expansive new shopping element that fits well with the background. I'd rather spend an afternoon there than sterile downtown Tampa.

81 x 30,000 = 2,430,000. The Rays think they can get in that vicinity. They'll make the money they need and want. Personally, I'm glad they're staying. I like going to Rays games. I wouldn't if they were in Ybor.
This

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
People still won’t drive the Frankenstein in rush hour traffic to get to weeknight games. Oldsmar or Citrus Park areas would have made more sense.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
People still won’t drive the Frankenstein in rush hour traffic to get to weeknight games. Oldsmar or Citrus Park areas would have made more sense.
Nobody wants to fight that traffic. It should’ve been put out by the fairgrounds.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015

They aren’t going to nearly double attendance because of a new stadium. But there are positives for St. Pete & Pinellas County. If it’s good for you, then :swampqueen:

Schwifty

Sep 4, 2016
I’m thinking the attendance will improve temporarily due to the novelty, but what happens when that novelty wears off?

The traffic issue is no joke. I live in New Tampa, and it took me a good 2 hours+ getting back home after a matinee game (hell it takes me less time to go to Gainesville). Can’t go to as many games as I’d like, but if the alternative is the team moving to Montreal, then keep them in St Pete. Whatevs.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Will they keep the Rays name despite being an hour and a half from the coast? Or do they switch it up and go with something more local like the “Aquatica’s” or “Neck Tats”?
I hear they are considering "soflagator is a closeted homosexual" it's long and tedious to say but it has work shopped really well :dunno:

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Can’t go to as many games as I’d like, but if the alternative is the team moving to Montreal, then keep them in St Pete. Whatevs.
Depending on the time of day, getting to Montreal could be quicker, even factoring in the customs process.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
They aren’t going to nearly double attendance because of a new stadium. But there are positives for St. Pete & Pinellas County. If it’s good for you, then :swampqueen:

They don't need to double and the current trajectory favors it. According to Sports Journal Business, the Rays are already averaging 18,255 and have experienced a YOY increase of 29.1%, which is among the top half-dozen of teams in MLB. At their current pace, they'll finish with their best annual attendance in a decade.

I don't think it's a major stretch to imagine an average figure around 30k with a new park.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator