RBs say UF offense will open up more with new QB

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I would hope so...

http://florida.247sports.com/Bolt/RBs-say-UF-offense-will-open-up-more-with-new-QBs-46712550

GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- It's no secret that Florida's passing game was abysmal by the end of the 2015 season. When the head coach is joking in the spring about actually having quarterbacks that can complete a pass now, you know things were pretty grim.

And while there were certainly other issues -- Florida's offensive line was and remains a bit of a question mark -- the improvement at the quarterback position alone is reason for a lot of optimism inside the locker room.

"We have different quarterbacks now this year, so we’ll definitely be able to open up the playbook more with more deep shots and things like that," running back Jordan Cronkrite said. "Be able to read defenses and not being one-dimensional and stick to certain plays that we feel comfortable with. We’re able to open up the playbook more now this year."

What's next for the Gators? Make sure you're in the loop -- take five seconds to sign up for our FREE Gators newsletter now!

That was a topic touched on by multiple running backs on Thursday. They're more than ready to carry the load if needed, but all indications in far camp are that this will be a much more balanced Florida team.

With Treon Harris gone and Luke Del Rio (presumably) in, the passing attack figures to be back this fall.

"It helps a lot because it put a lot of pressure on the run game last year knowing we didn’t have the best quarterback and the best throwing game," running back Jordan Scarlett said. "Defenses will stack the box and put a lot of pressure on the run game. Now that we have a quarterback they have to respect the pass. It will open up a lot more things."

Florida's defense should remain elite, with several future NFL players still suiting up across the board. How much help they get could well determine whether the Gators can build on last year's SEC East title and take things one step further.

The quarterbacks don't necessarily have to be game-changers, but they need to be far better than Harris was by season's end. The offense knows it.

"It’s a lot more pressure coming to us because last year the offense didn’t pull through in situations where we needed them toward the end of the season," Scarlett said. "So, I think that, yeah, we have lot of pressure on us coming back to us, especially coach (Jim McElwain). People are trying to see what he’s going to do in his second year and how he brought the offense together on his time."

Last edited:

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Our annual "the offense is going to open up more" thread. I'll believe it when I see it.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
ATX, post the link. Copying and pasting without the link is a no-no.

heversle

Founding Member
Baba Booey Tata Toothy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I believe it. The moment Treon Harris transferred, the offense already opened up. Simple case of addition by subtraction. Mark Thompson also said that he expects to surpass 1,000 yards rushing by the BYE week. That seems a little unrealistic, but I like his confidence. The offense may not be prolific right away, but I do think it will be vastly improved.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Absolutely no where to go but up with Freon gone. And yes that does mean the Offense will open it up. We saw what it could do with Grier. Should be something we can do.

heversle

Founding Member
Baba Booey Tata Toothy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I like this kid's demeanor and mentality. Seems very grounded and focused. I really think he's gonna be a great back for us.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I like this kid's demeanor and mentality. Seems very grounded and focused. I really think he's gonna be a great back for us.

You need to post more. You were one of my favorite posters on GSMB and you've been a ghost on here.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Mark Thompson has the right idea. Repeatedly put that 1,000 yard "want-it" inside
your mind. I think that'll keep him thinking where the hole will open up and keep
him reflex-reactive to cut to daylight when the OL fails on blocks. Our RBs have
solid backups to rest each teammate any time needed. Plus, when the passing
game earns 50% of the plays then RBs won't get whacked by the head-on speed
of a defensive slammer.

Nobody has a definite stack of evidence that LDR can't be one of the top effective,
productive QBs in the SEC ? But Good Lord, if one QB gets dinged or fails, this
year we have workable solution backups, not a play dilution QB like last year.

Mostly, I think the whole team being "believers" with the concomitant enthusiasm,
will keep the "gator-stomp-azz" at the forefront. We're gonna like our speed of the
game. I can't wait to see us in action.>>> Begone offseason, I say begone.

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I believe we will open up the playbook of the offensive line is improved. I have serious doubts that they will be better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator