Reason Grier transferred

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Several of you continue to say it was a simple mistake by Grier and blame the NCAA. I'd like some proof that he simply tested positive for an over the counter supplement. My money says he was taking something much worse and that's why we have never heard definitively what the substance was. Steroids, HGH, cocaine? Who knows? After all we've seen from him and his dad, he doesn't get the benefit of the doubt from me.

Obviously he was taking some kind of female hormones the way he cried at the
press conference … he walked off like a "post 'parture" syndrome victim.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
and yet, when i made this very same statement 2 weeks ago everyone disagreed.
Well, on one hand even a person with a Concrete Head cant be this dumb, but on the other hand he is very consistent about it.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
All this GNC conspiracy theory is beyond asinine but it did bring up one good point, Mac did throw Grier under the bus with his statements strongly suggesting Grier demanded a promise to be the starter. No reason at all to air this publicly and it does nothing to help either party.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
It may be a matter of HIPAA law so speculate all you want, you don't have a right to know.

When that law came out, all Dentistry got "sky-is-falling" messages on how harsh the
Fed-Gov would swiftly be cracking down on offices. Like a sheep along with all other
office owners, I paid an excessive amount$ for a 1 day compliance seminar with thick
manual guide. The resultant form they prescribed for me to give for my patients to sign
was so "red-tape" frustratingly long that I decided to actually pull up the actual writ of the
HIPPA Law. After I read it read it carefully, this is the HIPPA patient-form every patient in
my office signed:

……….. "I understand and believe that Dr. Harrison and his staff will protect my privacy
much, much better than all the Congressmen who voted for this law." …………

My patients loved signing it.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
All this GNC conspiracy theory is beyond asinine but it did bring up one good point, Mac did throw Grier under the bus with his statements strongly suggesting Grier demanded a promise to be the starter. No reason at all to air this publicly and it does nothing to help either party.

I dont blame him in a way. I know some claim a coach should always stay above that but if you got some player and his dad with an entitlement attitude like that and have many fans wanting the kid to stay at UF it might make sense to kind of let the truth get out there.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
I dont blame him in a way. I know some claim a coach should always stay above that but if you got some player and his dad with an entitlement attitude like that and have many fans wanting the kid to stay at UF it might make sense to kind of let the truth get out there.
I see your point and agree they earned it, and it placates any fans who might see it as a failure on the coaches part by not being able to keep our best QB in years. But every move the coaches make need to be about developing and improving the current team and maximizing your potential to recruit the best players possible. Bagging on a player or family, no matter how much they deserve it, doesn't help you with future recruits.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I disagree. I think JMac had to make a stand publicly that no player will ever make demands of him. It's JMac's way, or the highway and I like that.

EyeDocGator

Politically Incorrect
Lifetime Member
Oct 26, 2015
With multiple arrests, I can't say he's been a "great Gator". You could also have me join the team and give 100% effort. That wouldn't keep it from being embarrassing.

Embarrassing or not, if you joined the team Ox, I'd root for you. Though, I really doubt I could be more embarrassed than I am by our pitiful Citrus Bowl effort.

Scott512

Sep 1, 2014
Grier is gone, bye bye...Next up....that being said, he was being judged on his first year in the SEC and if you know anything at all about football you know he was beginning to progress and had the tools to become a star. Was he great? Nope but he likely could have been. None of it matters now anyhow. We are gonna be just fine going forward...
I agree with everything you wrote. Except your last sentence. Who the hell is Mac going to get to play as well as Grier in the next year or 2? I'll have to see it to believe it.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
With multiple arrests, I can't say he's been a "great Gator". You could also have me join the team and give 100% effort. That wouldn't keep it from being embarrassing.

Ox, I don't doubt your physical prowess, but don't you think that you'd never
leave the bench due to your football IQ ?

Scott512

Sep 1, 2014
Everyone can agree that Mac did the right thing by letting him go. If Mac was given an ultimatum he didn't really even have a choice, he was gone.

However, make no mistake, he is really really good. He was a freshman with minimal experience, and yet all you had to do was use your eyes to see the kid is a special talent. Screw what stats he had against which teams. If you were paying attention and have even a little ability to scout talent then you know he was a baller and would have been the best QB on our team as long as he was on our team.

He also looks like he has next level talent, and will fit right in since he already has the ego, dooshbag attitude and PED connections.
Why the hell couldn't Gator greats like Leak, Danny and Timmy get in Grier's ear and his dad's ear and say chill hang in there you didn't assault, rob etc. anyone you just took the wrong meds you can still be a Gator great and champion QB! Maybe they did they were rebuffed. It may be best that Will is gone but he was their best QB since Tebow and that will be hard to replace.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Why the hell couldn't Gator greats like Leak, Danny and Timmy get in Grier's ear and his dad's ear and say chill hang in there you didn't assault, rob etc. anyone you just took the wrong meds you can still be a Gator great and champion QB! Maybe they did they were rebuffed. It may be best that Will is gone but he was their best QB since Tebow and that will be hard to replace.
And what exactly could Mac have done to salvage Grier?

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
The only problem I have is watching "smaller" programs and seeing far better QBs
perform much,much better than ours, even if they're using their 2nd stringer. ??
The way Mac allowed the end of season to deteriorate, like he had no clue how to
improve his team even 10% seems that hurts recruiting more than anything.
Hope for the OL next year again will have to rely on newcomer-freshmen. ?

Scott512

Sep 1, 2014
And what exactly could Mac have done to salvage Grier?
It's hard to say. I am not on the inside. Who knows maybe explain to the kid he would be making a worse move transferring than staying and coming back mid season for the Gators. Or maybe there was nothing Mac could have done. I just hate seeing Florida QB's leave then "improve" elsewhere. I do know seeing Grier cry at his press conference after being suspended for a year and then learn he is jumping ship has ticked me off. I know his dad is an issue but still he was really good so early in his career so to think of what he would be like as a junior and senior was exciting. Now it's back to square one for Gator QB's.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
The only problem I have is watching "smaller" programs and seeing far better QBs
perform much,much better than ours, even if they're using their 2nd stringer. ??
The way Mac allowed the end of season to deteriorate, like he had no clue how to
Spot on, rog. Probably deserves a thread of its own. I may start one.

Scott512

Sep 1, 2014
Mac allowing the slide to continue with no upswing for a half let alone a game is indeed a concern as was his work with Treon who was much better last year under Muschamp and a worse team. I don't get it. A good recruiting class would help as would depth and a capable QB for next season. Reality says that's asking for a lot. Mac has his hands full. I still have faith but am also very concerned as the Gators will be playing tougher teams next season and the east will be better.

Last edited:

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Treon who was much better last year under Muschamp and a worse team.
Did you get into Bart's stash? The only thing better about last year's team was the O-Line. And it was significantly better. Everything else stayed about the same. Treon got worse this year because his O-Line was much worse. A half way decent O-Line can make a bad QB look half way decent. That's kinda what happened in 2012 and again last year. Only last year's O-Line wasn't as good as the line we had in 2012. Now, a REALLY good QB can help hide a bad O-Line's deficiencies, but a bad O-Line AND a bad QB exposes all the weaknesses and leaves very little chance to scheme around them. That's what happened to JMac and our Gators this year. Once Grier was out of the picture, we no longer had a QB that could read defenses, and make decisions quickly enough to help work around the O-Line's weaknesses. It's as simple as that.

EyeDocGator

Politically Incorrect
Lifetime Member
Oct 26, 2015
Mac allowing the slide to continue with no upswing for a half let alone a game is indeed a concern as was his work with Treon who was much better last year under Muschamp and a worse team. I don't get it. A good recruiting class would help as would depth and a capable QB for next season. Reality says that's asking for a lot. Mac has his hands full. I still have faith but am also very concerned as the Gators will be playing tougher teams next season and the east will be better.

Treon played pretty well. Several well thrown passes were dropped, and that probably cost 2 touchdowns. I'm sorry we didn't see more Cronkrite; I think our run game would have been better. Did the defense made a choice? They sure didn't show up to play. I don't know whether this is on Mac or Collins. I blame Grier for everything. Starting with Spring Practice I promise never to mention Grier's name again.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
I disagree. I think JMac had to make a stand publicly that no player will ever make demands of him. It's JMac's way, or the highway and I like that.
You got it almost right. The public part is the mistake. Look at the best coaches in the game and you'll see they keep everything in the family always no matter how much a player deserves public criticism.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
You got it almost right. The public part is the mistake. Look at the best coaches in the game and you'll see they keep everything in the family always no matter how much a player deserves public criticism.
Grier was never part of any family other than his own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator