Recruiting Update, 3/22

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
http://campusinsiders.com/news/florida-gators-football-recruiting-update-03-22-2016

Florida didn't pick up any commits in the past seven days, even dropping one spot in the class rankings from No. 24 to No. 25. Nonetheless, the Gators did make some moves in the way of scholarship offers.

Four of the offers made were to prospects in the 2018 class -- including one whose father is a former Gator. Judge Culpepper, whose dad Brad played defensive tackle for Florida from 1988 to 1991, is nothing short of an all-around athlete on the football field. Judge is listed as a tight end, and has played quarterback and defensive end at Plant Senior High School. His route running is impressive for a sophomore, and he has dependable hands. There's still a lot of work needed, but Culpepper's versatility makes him intriguing -- plus the fact he's a Gator legacy.

http%3A%2F%2Fstatic.silverchalice.co%2Fci-prod%2F2016%2F03%2F22%2F20160322210415_mac_jpg
The three other 2018 offers were made to defensive end Jonathan King, cornerback Brendan Radley-Hiles and cornerback Verone McKinley III.

King has great size at 6-foot-3, 230 lbs but is rough around the edges as a pass rusher. He fires off the ball and plays with intensity, but he needs to work on keeping his pad level down.

Radley-Hiles is undersized at 5-foot-10, 175 lbs, so he'll need to add at least 10 lbs by the end of his senior season. He flips his hips relatively easily and keeps pace with receivers while always looking to make a play on the ball.

McKinley has the same problem with his size (5-foot-10, 165 lbs), but he has a knack for ending up with the ball in his hands. He's instinctive and diagnoses routes and plays quickly, but he needs to work on his hips and footwork to round out his game.

Florida also made three offers in the 2017 class: cornerback Kary Vincent Jr., defensive tackle Greg Rogers and cornerback Elijah Blades.

Vincent needs to put on weight badly (5-foot-11, 160 lbs), but he flips his hips seamlessly and has great anticipation.

Blades fits into the category of tall, lengthy cornerbacks that are becoming more popular. He uses his length well in swatting away passes and attacking the ball at its highest point, but he needs to refine his technique as a corner otherwise he may be staring down a switch to safety.

At 6-foot-4, 298 lbs Rogers has great size for a defensive tackle, but the key to his game is his ability to fire off the ball and wreak havoc in the backfield.

Below is a sketch of how Florida's 2017 recruiting class currently looks.

Note: Scout rankings and ratings used in this article.
Florida Gators Football Recruiting Update
Complete Class
  • No. 25 Overall Class
  • Total Commits: 3
  • 5-Star Commits: 0
  • 4-Star Commits: 2
  • 3-Star Commits: 1

• Jake Allen: 4-Star, No. 16 QB, No. 201 Overall
  • Daquon Green: 4-Star, No. 20 WR, No. 151 Overall
  • Kadeem Telfort: unranked 3-Star OT
Top Targets
  • Dylan Moses: 5-Star, No. 1 ATH, No. 2 Overall
  • Trevon Grimes: 5-Star, No. 1 WR, No. 5 Overall
  • James Robinson: 4-Star, No. 18 WR, No. 118 Overall
  • Jarez Parks: 4-Star, No. 3 DE, No. 42 Overall
  • Tee Higgins: 4-Star, No. 7 WR, No. 40 Overall

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
We really need to pick up the pace. FSU with 7 commits with 6 of them 4 stars. Miami has a bunch of commits - can't figure that out either.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
We really need to pick up the pace. FSU with 7 commits with 6 of them 4 stars. Miami has a bunch of commits - can't figure that out either.

Because their coaches recruit better than ours maybe? The sunshine pumpers will say "bagman" or some narrow minded comment, but the reality is what it is.... But I agree w/ you, we need to pick it up. I'd like to see at least 9-10 committed before the season starts. We're only going to take 18-22 in this class, so it's not going to be very big.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'm hoping for 2 or 3 more commits before FNL - and then about 4 or 5 from FNL. That will put us in the 9-11 range. We're expecting around 17-19 spots. With such a low amount of schollies we should be taking no projects.

It's frustrating though. We should be 6-8 deep at this point in this class.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Because their coaches recruit better than ours maybe? The sunshine pumpers will say "bagman" or some narrow minded comment, but the reality is what it is.... But I agree w/ you, we need to pick it up. I'd like to see at least 9-10 committed before the season starts. We're only going to take 18-22 in this class, so it's not going to be very big.

I agree completely.
It is naive to believe that everybody else is cheating and that we are the one righteous program that does not play the game.
Clearly we just aren't very good at closing the deal. Like it or not, Urban could close, Spurrier could close. They had crappy facilities but yet they could close.
I assume whatever other schools are doing now they were doing then so...........

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

I see that 18-22 number from other sources as well. 22 seems like a pretty big number. But you never know.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I agree completely.
It is naive to believe that everybody else is cheating and that we are the one righteous program that does not play the game.
Clearly we just aren't very good at closing the deal. Like it or not, Urban could close, Spurrier could close. They had crappy facilities but yet they could close.
I assume whatever other schools are doing now they were doing then so...........
maybe we're just bad at cheating.

I think we got some second rate recruiters, but Mac has upgraded with his replacement hires (Rumph and Gray). Either the other guys can really coach or Mac has a loyalty problem.

MissouriGator

Aug 30, 2014

Well, you have to consider that F$U pays considerably well; ironically, their grads get paid considerably less.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I see that 18-22 number from other sources as well. 22 seems like a pretty big number. But you never know.

Well, I doubt we take less than 18....but 22 is on the high end. I think we'll see usual attrition and a few early NFL departures (Tabor for sure, maybe 1 or 2 more?). We hoped to sign close to 28-30 this year and landed 24. So I suspect the class will be over 20 (22 is my guess).

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Here's the great news. We lead or are in the Top 2 for the following (Rivals rankings):

#1, 2, AND #3 WRs in the country.

#2 WDE
#4 SDE

#3 AND #4 CB

I'm a bit worried that we are not in the lead for any elite DTs. But it seems like we're getting back in the mix for the boys from Newberry. Although it will be an uphill battle.

I don't really care about OL rankings. I care more about size and offers with them.

GatorTom85

Mar 22, 2016

Or maybe it might be because our staff has only been in place for a little over a year and so higher rated recruits are waiting for next year's season to start to see how much of an anomaly our post Grier dumpster fire was. Recruiting comparisons to FSU at this juncture are not wholly apples to apples yet either since their staff has been in place a good bit longer than ours. We are definitely catching up but we need a strong showing next season to really solidify our position again. Coach Mac is definitely working to lay the groundwork for a more solid approach to recruiting but I think it is a bit premature to start labeling his staff as inferior.

In other words, there is no need for poop pumping either at this point. :)

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Or maybe it might be because our staff has only been in place for a little over a year and so higher rated recruits are waiting for next year's season to start to see how much of an anomaly our post Grier dumpster fire was. Recruiting comparisons to FSU at this juncture are not wholly apples to apples yet either since their staff has been in place a good bit longer than ours. We are definitely catching up but we need a strong showing next season to really solidify our position again. Coach Mac is definitely working to lay the groundwork for a more solid approach to recruiting but I think it is a bit premature to start labeling his staff as inferior.

Here we go....

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member

I know I am Mr. Negative but at some point the future is NOW. Not slamming anyone but this is his third class for god's sake.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
If we don't win this year and finish impressively, as much as I like Mac and his style, I think it'll be over for him. He's just not a great recruiter, it's pretty clear at this point. We need to look better to recruits to compensate for his laid back efforts on the trail. I know it's only year two but, yea it's critical at this point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator