Redshirt Freshman S Kylan Johnson moved to LB

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
This is a great move. I'm not sure how much it impacts our depth at Safety, but at his size moving to LB now is a good decision. This should have been done w/ Harris 3 years ago.

From the Gainesville Sun today:

Redshirt freshman safety Kylan Johnson has been moved to linebacker, where depth is an issue. He was listed as 6-foot-1, 220 pounds on last fall’s roster and has gotten bigger, McElwain said.

“He'll be down with the linebackers. He's gonna roll into that and then I think you guys will see that when he's out there doing drills,” McElwain said. “He's grown up a little bit."

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Good news indeed. Anzalone also being available this spring (even in non contact) is also a good sign.
We signed 6 guys in the secondary, and two of them are safeties. Depth at safety isn't a concern.

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
This was reported last year in this very chatroom. It's about time they listen to us.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
This was reported last year in this very chatroom. It's about time they listen to us.

Reported....or suggested?

McElwain also says the numbers are low in the secondary (as well as LB, which we all know):

Depth issues at LB, DB

Last spring, the biggest lack of depth was on the offensive line. That’s not a problem anymore with 16 healthy linemen set to practice. But the numbers are low at linebacker and in the secondary.

"Our sheer numbers at DB, we won't have the numbers we'd like in that position. Linebackers, the same thing,” McElwain said. “We're better at numbers in the O-line, but we need to get better at that position for us to be successful. So, I will say this and I think you guys will take note too when you go out there and go through stretch. I think you'll see that we've got really good numbers to be able to practice."

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
He's got a bunch of 3* DB's coming this summer, so numbers (not sure about talent) won't be bad at that position this fall. LB on the other hand will be a problem for the next 2-3 years.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
This is a great move. I'm not sure how much it impacts our depth at Safety, but at his size moving to LB now is a good decision. This should have been done w/ Harris 3 years ago.

From the Gainesville Sun today:

Redshirt freshman safety Kylan Johnson has been moved to linebacker, where depth is an issue. He was listed as 6-foot-1, 220 pounds on last fall’s roster and has gotten bigger, McElwain said.

“He'll be down with the linebackers. He's gonna roll into that and then I think you guys will see that when he's out there doing drills,” McElwain said. “He's grown up a little bit."

You can listen to his exact words and demeanor by clicking on the link in the STICKY on this very board in the main sports forum on this and many other spring practice topics of interest.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
He was listed as 6-foot-1, 220 pounds on last fall’s roster and has gotten bigger, McElwain said.

I freaked when I misread that. I thought it was saying he was 6'1 and 1,220 pounds. That's one fat mofo. And he's gotten bigger?!?!?!?!

NCOGator

Sep 5, 2014
I freaked when I misread that. I thought it was saying he was 6'1 and 1,220 pounds. That's one fat mofo. And he's gotten bigger?!?!?!?!
If that is the case our O-Line would be awesome..... He can take up three positions and give us the ability to put Fulwood and Harris on the field at the same time!!! How awesome would that be.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
He's got a bunch of 3* DB's coming this summer, so numbers (not sure about talent) won't be bad at that position this fall. LB on the other hand will be a problem for the next 2-3 years.
LB is a lot better numbers wise, I think we'll have 9 scholarship LBs in the fall. Talent and experience will be thin though, unless some kids impress.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
LB is a lot better numbers wise, I think we'll have 9 scholarship LBs in the fall. Talent and experience will be thin though, unless some kids impress.
Numbers look OK but we're still outgunned by lack of mass at LB. When are we going to have more guys in the 240-250# range. I loved Morisson and Davis for their effort the last 2 years but our lack of size at the position has been obvious whenever we play the Bama's, LSU's and Michigans of the world.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Love the move. Kid is a tad slow at safety will be fast at linebacker. Hopefully he transitions smoothly.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Numbers look OK but we're still outgunned by lack of mass at LB. When are we going to have more guys in the 240-250# range. I loved Morisson and Davis for their effort the last 2 years but our lack of size at the position has been obvious whenever we play the Bama's, LSU's and Michigans of the world.
I agree, Reese and Anzalone are our only guys in that range, but Reese is a Fr and Anzalone is like Glass Joe

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
If he was a RS-freshman as safety, then isn't he (readiness-wise) a true freshman as LB??

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Love this move.

Now all we gotta do is name Trask the starter and we are golden.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
If he was a RS-freshman as safety, then isn't he (readiness-wise) a true freshman as LB??
No. There's a huge difference in the amount of strength needed to play LB. The only reason Morisson made it at LB was because he was a weightroom freak. He squatted 600# coming out of HS....

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I agree, Reese and Anzalone are our only guys in that range, but Reese is a Fr and Anzalone is like Glass Joe
I think Reese will take a year or 2 but is going to be a freakin' animal at LB for us. He plays nasty in his HS tapes....

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator