Replacement candidates for Billy?

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
So now you want another 2 years at minimum and if he still sucks you want him elevated to a upper level position and involved in who the next guy is? You make some embarrassing posts but this might be the worst. :facepalm:
Want? Hell no. Maybe need is a better word, before we dump another 35 million on another failure. Instead we get a clearer picture of what works in this new world. Where in the world did I say I want Billy making the decision. Why would I want that if he fails. What I think doesn't really mater. We'll probably fire him season after next and the same administration will strike out again.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Urban should be the 1st call

Deboar and/or Lanning should be the 2nd.

Then I'm at Brian Hartline or Brian Johnson

Then Jeff lebby
With their moves to the Big 18 or whatever it will be, I can't seen Deboar or Lanning leaving.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
This is spot on and where Billy can distance himself from his last 3 predecessors, to not just save his job but also be successful here. The last 3 coaches had glaring issues that they refused to correct after the second year. All three of them had roster/recruiting mismanagement issues and poor assistant hires, but also there were embarrassing off the field issues, poor attitude, and other factors that were pulling down the program besides just wins and losses. Because they doubled-down on their mistakes and had too big of egos to recognize them, there were few short-term solutions to the problems they created.

Because Billy has done a good job January through mid-August, he has a better foundation to work with for a faster turnaround. Not all of this team's problems can be solved mid-season, but some can so they can at least get a winning season. Where Billy can make the biggest turnaround for the future is what he does between year 2 and 3. Will he double-down on his mistakes like the previous 3? Or will he make the structural changes needed (i.e., new OC, different playcaller, special teams coach, etc.)? If he makes those changes for next year, then he could have a long career here. If not, then we likely have a new coach in 2025.

I know people assume he will stubbornly double-down cause that's what the other 3 did, but Billy strikes me as a more humble person that isn't fueled by ego. I'm not predicting that he'll make those large changes, but I also think it's too soon to write him off right now.

I’m still somewhat hopeful. My biggest concern in that regard is that in three games out of five this year he has essentially spotted with reporters, twice just on special teams alone. I even enjoy arguing, but I certainly have no desire to take a losing argument to the mat. A simple “we’re evaluating everything” type of generic response would be better than trying to convince people they aren’t seeing what they’re seeing.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
With their moves to the Big 18 or whatever it will be, I can't seen Deboar or Lanning leaving.
I don't really see Washington being a better job than Florida regardless of conference but I think him or his wife is from there. So that may be home for them anyhow

MidwestChomp

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Jake Dickert and Johnathan Smith will end up elsewhere quickly after the PAC 12 dissolves. Just an observation, not saying either belong at UF.
The Pac 2 will join with Mountain West. But that's beside the point. Dickert is very new coach, but doing a heck of a job. He's a WI guy and will probably end up at WI when Fickell leaves for the Ohio State job when they finally fire Day when he loses to khaki pants too many times.

GR8 2B

A Florida Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2016
I am a gator and I still wouldn't encourage my son to play football for them if he was offered. Poor development, poor program MGMT, coaching carousels comprised of guys that either shouldn't be anywhere above d2 programs or worse, shouldn't even be around kids period. And working hard only to get your ass kicked and be embarrassed week in and week out. Hard pass.
Damn. YOU reproduced a son?! God help him, your family, and everyone he ever comes in contact with. :lol2:

Last edited:

GR8 2B

A Florida Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2016
Let me get this straight...not only do you think it premature to banter about names that might excite fans to replace this goober, but you think he should be given this year AND next year regardless of outcomes and only then, after three losing seasons where the team looks inept on GameDay against even lesser talented teams, we let him coach a fourth season to see how he does?

That is some seriously delusional patience and :nutswinger:.
You did not get it straight, Hoss. Try reading my post again when you're sober, but leave me out of the hen party you ladies seem to be pushing. Not interested in debating the assumptions you've built into your "analysis". Why the quotation marks? Check your sarcasm meter. :lol2:

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Bill BelleCHECK
Bill Obrien

Hartline - WR / OC for OSU

Cheeseburger Charlie isn't doing much these days

MidwestChomp

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Cheeseburger Charlie isn't doing much these days
Golden Girls Lol GIF by HULU

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Damn. YOU reproduced a son?! God help him, your family, and everyone he ever comes in contact with. :lol2:
My son is an honor student and a standout 3 sport athlete that plays all 3 two years up in age b/c of his talent level. He's also a boy of impeccable character and one that everyone knows and looks up to, even when he is the youngest in the group.

You think Im demanding and a dck just because, but the reason is I have very high standards for my family and the things I care about. If our AD was like that we wouldn't even be having these discussions.

Bait'n Gator

Go away..... bait'n
Lifetime Member
Mar 14, 2015
My son is an honor student and a standout 3 sport athlete that plays all 3 two years up in age b/c of his talent level. He's also a boy of impeccable character and one that everyone knows and looks up to, even when he is the youngest in the group.

You think Im demanding and a dck just because, but the reason is I have very high standards for my family and the things I care about. If our AD was like that we wouldn't even be having these discussions.
I knew my genetics would eventually outrun your piss poor parenting.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
I’m still somewhat hopeful. My biggest concern in that regard is that in three games out of five this year he has essentially spotted with reporters, twice just on special teams alone. I even enjoy arguing, but I certainly have no desire to take a losing argument to the mat. A simple “we’re evaluating everything” type of generic response would be better than trying to convince people they aren’t seeing what they’re seeing.
He’s not willing to call his team out publicly. But I think he could have addressed issues of focus and toughness instead of homecoming and Gator Made in his latest presser. Sounded like he was talking to recruits’ parents.

They were mushed, squashed and rolled on both sides of the ball in the trenches and on the edges. Missed tackles. Missed blocks. Lost 1:1 battles all over the place. Getting them to run the plays better is part of it. Play design is part of it. But the biggest issue Saturday was one team playing with fire & without thinking and the other trying to get their assignments right.

We’ve played one really good half on offense (1st half Ut) while Ut wasn’t ready The OL has to improve a lot, I don’t see how unless plugging in a current reserve who is physically tougher has a domino effect or something. Without that, play design won’t work. Play calling won’t work.

We have had one really bad game on defense. That’s much more fixable. Our DL is better, SEC sized but not elite quick. Set the edge and there’s hope.

Soft can’t continue on either side of the ball.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
You realize everything we complained about with Muschamp, then McElwain, then Mullen have all turned out to be absolutely correct, right? There’s been articles written after the fact detailing those missteps and how they ultimately led to their demise. Everyone here, and practically everywhere, called them well before they came to fruition. And where are all these guys now? Killing it elsewhere, proving us all wrong?

Those same people have been supportive of much of what Napier has done here, yet have said since day one that he needs an OC, QB coach and STs coach. The national media is saying the same thing. Palmer himself(does he have any cred in your eyes?) openly questioned the 2 point try when we lined up for it. At some point, we have to stop with the whole “keyboard coaches” thing. It’s tired and has been proven to be false. And it’s not because we’re just so smart. It’s that the decisions that we’re questioning are just that dumb.
I agree with you COMPLETELY!!!

(but only because I'm hoping for free booze or beer from you on Saturday)

GR8 2B

A Florida Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2016

I was kidding, Durty. Congratulations on your success in raising your son so well. His success is a reflection of yours as his father.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.