Replay officials

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
OK... so I have watched the Powell catch and the Sherrit this about 15 times each.

I have no idea if Powell caught the ball or not. It looked like he had his arm under it, but it may have hit the ground. It was called a TD on the field and they needed clear evidence to overturn.. no way that was clear.

The Sherrit hit seemed to be a clean hit to me. I'll admit I am biased, but he was coming in at shoulder height and the QB lowered his head down. The hit looked very nasty and I could see why targeting was initialy called, but if you watch the replay and see that the QB lowered down into the hit... then it wasn't targeting... if it was.. then Sherritt was surely going to miss his target until the QB lowered into the hit!

It seems to me that the replay officials this year have been especially horrible. It is one thing to miss it on the field.. it is another to miss it from the booth when you are looking at replay.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'm pretty sure the replay official for our games got rejected by UF. There have been a number of head scratchers all season.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Sherit didn't even hit the QB in the head, he hit him in the shoulder. Just like Cronk did against UGA. Powell play definitely shouldn't have been overturned simply based on lack of evidence.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
It's been a long season in regards to the ref's calls and video reviews. I wonder, has Mac challenged anything this season? I don't think so. He may no be able to 'challenge' penalty calls, but there have been plenty of other times we've had a catch or play that was review able and we've done nothing. It's as if he doesn't care how they call it, his focus is on winning with the next play, not the last one.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
TLB;n310315 said:
It's been a long season in regards to the ref's calls and video reviews. I wonder, has Mac challenged anything this season? I don't think so. He may no be able to 'challenge' penalty calls, but there have been plenty of other times we've had a catch or play that was review able and we've done nothing. It's as if he doesn't care how they call it, his focus is on winning with the next play, not the last one.

I've said it before, I'll say it again, JMac strikes me as the type that's keeping a file of all these and is waiting till the end of the season to send a "package" to the SEC offices with one landscape oriented page of a giant "WTF?".

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Captain Sasquatch;n310311 said:
Sherit didn't even hit the QB in the head, he hit him in the shoulder. Just like Cronk did against UGA. Powell play definitely shouldn't have been overturned simply based on lack of evidence.
Don't forget the terrible spots as well. That's what really pissed me off about Mason whining and riding the officials the whole game. They're just about giving you the effing game so can you quit bit*hing for 30 seconds? He's one of my new least favorites purely based on that.

Mac is so cool on the sideline, maybe to the point of too passive when we get jobbed on a bad spot, but I respect him for that. Let the refs do their job (no matter how bad they seem to do it at our expense) and move on and win the next play.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
TLB;n310315 said:

I don't think that "calls" can be challenged during the game, they can be sent to the SEC office for review. I hope that he is at least getting an review.

I like that he makes no excuses since such would mean nothing.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
In one of his pressers Mac said that he never talks about complaints he sends to the conference on the officiating. So I wouldn't expect to hear anything about it.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The problem i see with the targeting calls is that is being called for big hits regardless if it's actually targeting. These players move so fast i have no problem worth either call on the field we've had the last 2 games i have a problem that they uphold it after review. Targeting is a great rule that's is being butchered by bad refs

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
-THE DUDE-;n310333 said:
The problem i see with the targeting calls is that is being called for big hits regardless if it's actually targeting. These players move so fast i have no problem worth either call on the field we've had the last 2 games i have a problem that they uphold it after review. Targeting is a great rule that's is being butchered by bad refs

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

It should be called exclusively on plays where there is an intent to "target" or spear another player. The fact that an offensive player can drop his posture a few inches at the last second and get hit above the shoulder pads, resulting in a disqualification, is ridiculous. Helmets hit all the time in football, and always have. That's never going to change. It's part of a fast, physical game played voluntarily by those who knowingly assume some measure of risk. Unless a player blatantly leads with his helmet and truly targets another player, throwing a flag there is wrong. Adding a disqualification is almost criminal.

They still use judgement on things like roughing vs running into the kicker. And that's at full speed. If they can't--with the aid of slow-mo replay--see that Sherrit was simply tackling his opponent, then they should have their qualifications revoked.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
lagator;n310320 said:
Don't forget the terrible spots as well. That's what really pissed me off about Mason whining and riding the officials the whole game. They're just about giving you the effing game so can you quit bit*hing for 30 seconds? He's one of my new least favorites purely based on that.

Mac is so cool on the sideline, maybe to the point of too passive when we get jobbed on a bad spot, but I respect him for that. Let the refs do their job (no matter how bad they seem to do it at our expense) and move on and win the next play.
The ball spots were ridiculous. Sometimes sorted the ball a full yard ahead for Vandy, almost that far behind for gators.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
I thought Cronk had the better case, as I could never see the Helmut's touch even in slo mo. I just thought that his crack back block was so violent they called it on general principles.

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
ATXGator;n310298 said:
OK... so I have watched the Powell catch and the Sherrit this about 15 times each.

I have no idea if Powell caught the ball or not. It looked like he had his arm under it, but it may have hit the ground. It was called a TD on the field and they needed clear evidence to overturn.. no way that was clear.

The Sherrit hit seemed to be a clean hit to me. I'll admit I am biased, but he was coming in at shoulder height and the QB lowered his head down. The hit looked very nasty and I could see why targeting was initialy called, but if you watch the replay and see that the QB lowered down into the hit... then it wasn't targeting... if it was.. then Sherritt was surely going to miss his target until the QB lowered into the hit!

It seems to me that the replay officials this year have been especially horrible. It is one thing to miss it on the field.. it is another to miss it from the booth when you are looking at replay.

I couldn't agree more. Additionally, this is all such common sense! I don't know how a replay official can't see exactly what happened.

:gah:

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
lagator;n310320 said:

lagator;n310320 said:

Could he have called time and asked to review the spot like the NFL?

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Like everyone, I thought the reviews were bogus. How they could overturn the Powell catch is beyond me. I thought that you could see the ball begin to move after CeCe's butt had hit the ground on that fake as well. What I've heard though is that the refs have other views available that don't necessarily make it to the TV broadcast, but I don't know if that's true. I've heard announcers say it more than once though.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Zambo;n310373 said:
What I've heard though is that the refs have other views available that don't necessarily make it to the TV broadcast, but I don't know if that's true. I've heard announcers say it more than once though.

If that's true, then they should show those too. It would stop this type of controversies.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Ancient Reptile;n310353 said:
Could he have called time and asked to review the spot like the NFL?
I think so. Each play is supposed to be reviewed but you can call timeout and ask for the spot to be reviewed.

ockgator

Sep 17, 2014
Maybe they should review like the Arena League..... You see exactly what they see and you hear the conversation between ref and replay booth.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
ockgator;n310451 said:
Maybe they should review like the Arena League..... You see exactly what they see and you hear the conversation between ref and replay booth.

Great idea but since it is so great the NCAA would never even think of it. If the fans revolt over officials then perhaps changes will occur.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Zambo;n310373 said:
Like everyone, I thought the reviews were bogus. How they could overturn the Powell catch is beyond me. I thought that you could see the ball begin to move after CeCe's butt had hit the ground on that fake as well. What I've heard though is that the refs have other views available that don't necessarily make it to the TV broadcast, but I don't know if that's true. I've heard announcers say it more than once though.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that refs only have the replays that the broadcast has. Many reasons, but I don't think the SEC Officials office goes thru the expensive of setting up separate cameras and crews when the broadcaster generally has better equipment and crews for free. So the replays are limited to essentially how big the game is who is televising it. But every game is televised in some way. Plus just from the conversations in the announcer booth it seems like they never mention that the replay official is looking at something they don't have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator