Revive dead fish?

Instigator

Sep 6, 2014
Any fisherman knows it can be done. First step is put him back in the water, then let him get comfortable with slow movement, and when he's ready- let him go swim away fast.

Mac says Gators Oline has looked dead in past weeks. I think it has to do with 3 things :

1. They are playing with injuries. Sharpe especially looks to be in pain and it takes him considerable time and effort to get up after a play. The other guys looked tired all day against FAU. I think the key in practice this weeks is to let them rest. Mental reps but they need rest and therapy. It has been a long season and we are playing worse now than before because they are banged up.

2. Weakest link is breaking them. You can sense their frustration when several players make their blocks only to see that the guy next to him got beat and play broke down. They have to be tougher mentally to not let that effect their own play. It's like when a coworker is allowed to surf the Internet all day, you say, why the hell am I'm working so hard. All of them need to be accountable. We don't have depth but we have bodies and those who give up multiple sacks should be on the bench to hold the standard. Ivey should have been wearing a tshirt after half time against FAU

3. And for what? Even more disheartening is when they all hold their blocks and the play still doesn't work. Treon is used to getting pressure so even when it doesn't come he gets flustered. Treon needs to settle down and make the easy plays. I have no idea why we don't throw flank passes to the RB more often. It works for us when we do. Coaches have to call quick passes to build up the confidence for the fish to relax and "swim away".

Here's hoping they come out with a chip on their shoulder and a great gameplan.

Gators Always!

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I think #3 is the real killer, even if they do all do their job, they are pretty sure it's not going to matter because harris will just screw the pooch anyway. We all use that saying "he makes people around him better" but many probably dont really understand the reason or logic behind it. Grier made guys around him better for the same reason harris makes them worse. One of them has an uncanny knack of making plays and overcoming shortcomings to the point where the guys around start feeling like they are gonna succeed and it gives them that mental edge to push themselves a little bit harder. On the flip side, guys that routinely blow it, even when its set up nice and neat for them have the opposite effect on the mentality of the guys around them; instead of giving that extra bit, they dont, and even sometimes less than 100% because what does it really matter? At this point, he is what he is and i doubt he changes facing better opponents... would love to eat a giant helping of crow... would love to...

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
That damn 'IT' keeps coming back to haunt us or 'knack' as you call it. The character of the O is more ad lib rather than purposeful. The QB position more helter-skelter than field commander like. Thanks Mac for the quick re-taste of some prime time, knowing we have a boat load of recruiting and developing to do before any dynasty talk. What a nice season evolved though, 10-1 and counting, have coach, teacher, and paternal approach... pretty sweet, Go Gators!!

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
We're Screwed!

Go Gata

Founding Member
aka Emersom Bigguns
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Because of our offensive (and kicking) woes, I've read that we are the worst 10-1 team ever.

Given where this program has been lately, it'll take more than that to offend me. :proud: These guys are winners, no matter how you look at them.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Because of our offensive (and kicking) woes, I've read that we are the worst 10-1 team ever.

Given where this program has been lately, it'll take more than that to offend me. :proud: These guys are winners, no matter how you look at them.
I disagree. 2012 was easily worse. In 2012, they didnt bother to try to move the ball at all despite a relatively much stronger line. Also, now, we arent having to come from behind in every game after forcing a turnover or wearing them out while playing seven OL playing the goalline offense all the time.

Last edited:

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
We don't throw flank passes to the running backs because Treon can't consistently make a good throw.

MissouriGator

Aug 30, 2014
Yeah, Grier gets suspended and suddenly our O-line sucks, we can't run the ball, receivers aren't making plays--pretty much the whole offense sucks. What a coincidence. And right, the offense wasn't exactly lighting the world on fire but Grier's ability to make quick decisions and get the ball out quickly compensated for a lot of other weaknesses.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, Grier gets suspended and suddenly our O-line sucks, we can't run the ball, receivers aren't making plays--pretty much the whole offense sucks. What a coincidence. And right, the offense wasn't exactly lighting the world on fire but Grier's ability to make quick decisions and get the ball out quickly compensated for a lot of other weaknesses.
:exactly: Grier, while far from perfect, helped hide some of our flaws by getting the ball out quickly. Harris just exacerbates our Oline issues.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, Grier gets suspended and suddenly our O-line sucks, we can't run the ball,
No, the O Line sucked all year, it just sucks more now with multiple injuries. We couldn't score vs Kintucky, MIzzu or most of the game vs. Tinerc either.

However, if you are so sure of yourself, give Mac a call and let him know. We wouldn't want him missing out on your expertise.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Law still thinks Treon has absolutely no fault in anything. Dude, you have to be a relative.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Dear Law: ball out quicker and before breaks mitigates turnstiles and marshmallow blocks. :deadhorse:

TheBigClaw

Founding Member
Proud to be a Gator
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Well, as many know I was a Treon supporter from the start. Now, even though I like the kid and think he can improve, he's just not cutting it. True, all is not his fault considering the O line is poor, but Grier played behind this same OL and did considerably better. I'm hoping Treon can go out this week and prove me wrong, but so far looks like he isn't going to get it done if we have to rely on him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
The only excuse I can express is that Treon is not being allowed to run
his offense like he did to win H.S. championships. Just maybe, Treon freely
taking off on QB runs gets him in the zone-rhythm to get defenses reeling ?
Maybe, from that scheme he does better passing?

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
The only excuse I can express is that Treon is not being allowed to run
his offense like he did to win H.S. championships. Just maybe, Treon freely
taking off on QB runs gets him in the zone-rhythm to get defenses reeling ?
Maybe, from that scheme he does better passing?

I desperately want Treon to succeed just like I hoped Driskel and Brantley would. Treon seems lost. Even the easiest throws seem to be hard and even when his receivers are 5 yds away but directly in front of him, he is either afraid to throw it or he just doesnt see them. His decisions are 3-4 seconds late on a regular basis. What I dont understand is his regression. You expect players to improve as they go along but its just not happening. Im not sure a decent oline fixes the problem.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
What I dont understand is his regression.
Pressure. Pressure from opposing pass rushes and pressure from the coaching staff. We don't have a run game at all. We can't get a pass game going either so he's under great pressure not to make a mistake and throw an INT.... so he looks a little closer hoping to avoid mistakes.... causing him to make mistakes.

He had only a small portion of a tiny playbook last year. That, the better OL last year, and the fact that he was allowed to be a gunslinger earlier in the year explains his ability to score with remarkable efficiency last season before he got hurt.

He isn't a fit for this system but he is what we have.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Swag....

McElwain_No_Socks_Prez.0.0.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays