gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member

FatCatG8r

Aug 10, 2014
Man, you beat by less than 10 minutes, And you are correct. Both Mizell and McEwen were razor sharp writers who had the kinds of insights and analysis that Dooley only dreams about. Here in Gainesville, we had Jack Hairston, who, maybe didn't have the quality of style, was still pretty sharp. And an early pioneer in recruiting rankings.

CU-UF

Meh
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Mizell was a Gator through, and lived his last years here in Gainesville. He would occasionally call Steve Russell. Tom McEwen was great, always remember his breakfast lol

Since65

Oct 5, 2014
Agree with all you're saying about the old days when print journalism was king. Mizell and McEwen were two of the best. Thankful I got to read the Tribune every day, the St. Pete paper not as often. McEwen's book on the Gators, while it is dated, is still a good read.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I wondered how he'd been doing. Sad to hear he's passed. I somehow got his email address after he'd retired to Gainesville and we shared a few emails. I was with the Times for some of the time he was, though not in the same building. The guy was a terrific columnist and (no pun) a larger-than-life figure. He covered just about every important sporting event of the modern era, including the Munich Massacre (the '72 Olympics) and the 1980 Miracle on Ice. He lived for the big event and loved the golf majors, typically traveling overseas to cover the Open. He was famous for punctuating his columns with four-word graphs and italics. We used to joke at the Tribune that every other word in his columns was in ital, but everyone respected the hell out of him. RIP.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
The St. Pete Times was my favorite Florida paper, but I remember McEwen very well and Mizell not at all. Can't think why? Anyone know if the St. Pete Times was readily available in Gainesville in the 1960s?

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The St. Pete Times was my favorite Florida paper, but I remember McEwen very well and Mizell not at all. Can't think why? Anyone know if the St. Pete Times was readily available in Gainesville in the 1960s?

McEwen was with the Tribune longer and without interruption. What he lacked as a writer he more than made up in influence. He hobnobbed with the rich and powerful and could have run for mayor of Tampa if he'd wanted. We rode together to G'ville for the FSU game in '87 and I couldn't get over how connected with the elite he was as we walked from a reserved lot to the stadium. McEwen knew everyone.

Mizell left the Times briefly for the Atlanta Constitution in the late '80s and returned, whereupon he dropped the sports editor title for columnist.

Jenny On The Railroad

Founding Member
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
[

I wondered how he'd been doing. Sad to hear he's passed. I somehow got his email address after he'd retired to Gainesville and we shared a few emails. I was with the Times for some of the time he was, though not in the same building. The guy was a terrific columnist and (no pun) a larger-than-life figure. He covered just about every important sporting event of the modern era, including the Munich Massacre (the '72 Olympics) and the 1980 Miracle on Ice. He lived for the big event and loved the golf majors, typically traveling overseas to cover the Open. He was famous for punctuating his columns with four-word graphs and italics. We used to joke at the Tribune that every other word in his columns was in ital, but everyone respected the hell out of him. RIP.

He used to have a short spot on local Gainesville TV network after the regular sports spot at one time. He used the short time he had well and was fun to listen to and watch. I really liked his commentary. Wasn't afraid to call out someone for their decisions either.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
McEwen was with the Tribune longer and without interruption. What he lacked as a writer he more than made up in influence. He hobnobbed with the rich and powerful and could have run for mayor of Tampa if he'd wanted. We rode together to G'ville for the FSU game in '87 and I couldn't get over how connected with the elite he was as we walked from a reserved lot to the stadium. McEwen knew everyone.

Mizell left the Times briefly for the Atlanta Constitution in the late '80s and returned, whereupon he dropped the sports editor title for columnist.
Thanks. I knew that McEwen was influential in the day, and even outside the State of Florida, as I remember.

Chomper

Lifetime Member
Aug 5, 2014
I never met Mizell, but I when I was UF student I was Gator stringer for Tampa Tribune and worked elbow to elbow with Tom McEwen in the press box at Gator games. He was a gem, quick witted and always had the ability to look past the obvious. And Jack Hairston, always chomping on a stinky cigar, was a stand-up guy never afraid to ask the tough question and always willing to help a budding journalist. I only knew Mizell through his columns. Yes, these three were great sports journalists. Guys like these just don't come along any more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.