RIP Morgan Wootten; HS Basketball Coaching Legend

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Somehow I missed this last week, but, on January 21st, DC area basketball coaching legend Morgan Wootten passed away at the age of 88. Most of our board members grew up in Florida and may not know much about him, but when I was growing up in DC, everyone knew who Coach Wootten was. During his run at St. John DeMatha ("DeMatha") High School, from 1956 to 2002, his teams won 1274 games, 5 "National Titles", 33 league titles and 22 DC championships. A dozen of his former players later played in the NBA and over 150 played college basketball. (When I was in HS, he was on streak that lasted for many years of every graduating senior on the team having been offered a scholarship to play college ball.) John Wooden once said of Wootten; "I know of no finer coach at any level -- high school, college, or pro. I've said it elsewhere and I'll say it here: I stand in awe of him." Pretty high praise for a high school coach.
My cousin went to DeMatha and had the privilege of being in Coach Wootten's Freshman World History Class. He once told me Coach Wootten may have been best known for his coaching prowess, but to him, Coach Wootten would be remembered first as one of the finest teachers he ever had. RIP Coach.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Thanx for posting. I saw this a week or so ago and I am guilty also of letting it go by. As someone who played and coached basketball Wooten was one of the names that we admired. I find it so ironic that he might be considered the best HS bball coach of all time and the Wizard of Westwood named Wooden is considered one of the greatest college bball coaches of all time. Similar last names, similar results. Wooten turned down college HC offers numerous times and always said he liked what he was doing.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
He is spoken about in the 30 for 30 about NC State’s run in the early ‘80’s. Was offered the job before Valvano got it.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
The local sports radio show that comes on in the morning, The Sports Junkies, in DC have four guys that do the show and one of them played for Wootten. They were talking about the funeral today and said it was well attended and several of his former players were there including Adrian Dantley and Danny Ferry.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
He is spoken about in the 30 for 30 about NC State’s run in the early ‘80’s. Was offered the job before Valvano got it.
He was only interested in one job: Maryland.
The starting guards on that NC State team, Derek Whittenburg and Sidney Lowe, played for Wootten at DeMatha.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Didn't one of those DeMatha teams have Reggie Lewis, Reggie Williams and Mugsy Bogues on the same team? Maybe I am thinking of another HS

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
He was only interested in one job: Maryland.
The starting guards on that NC State team, Derek Whittenburg and Sidney Lowe, played for Wootten at DeMatha.

And didn;t Maryland end up hiring another high school coach in Wade? How did that work out?:crazy:

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
That's correct. My bad. Right group wrong school. That is what old age will do. But they both started with a D. Just like Dumbass, me, LOL
It also gets confusing because there is a Dunbar HS in DC that was a local power at the same time. DeMatha and Dunbar (DC) played for several city titles.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Yes. And Wade was the coach at Dunbar (Baltimore).
Lefty Driesell was who they picked instead of Wootten.

Lefty was a character and has some darn good teams at Maryland. In fact maybe the greatest college basketball game ever played was the ACC tourney championship in 1974 when NC State edged Maryland 103-100 in OT. Back then only the conference champs went to the NCAA tourney and that was the year the David Thompson, Tom Burleson, Monte Towe. Mo Rivers and Tim Stoddard (yes the Orioles pitcher) NC State team bested Maryland led by John Luca, Len Elmore, Tom McMillan, Mo Howard, et al. NC State went on to win the Nat'l Championship and Maryland might have been the second best team at that time and they were on the outside looking in.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Lefty was a character and has some darn good teams at Maryland. In fact maybe the greatest college basketball game ever played was the ACC tourney championship in 1974 when NC State edged Maryland 103-100 in OT. Back then only the conference champs went to the NCAA tourney and that was the year the David Thompson, Tom Burleson, Monte Towe. Mo Rivers and Tim Stoddard (yes the Orioles pitcher) NC State team bested Maryland led by John Luca, Len Elmore, Tom McMillan, Mo Howard, et al. NC State went on to win the Nat'l Championship and Maryland might have been the second best team at that time and they were on the outside looking in.
The Terps actually turned down an invitation to play in the NIT that year. Lefty left it up to the players and they voted no.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator