Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
b2ab3788fc645fd234826f67a1f7ad1d.jpg

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Couldn’t read the article. What’s it say?

Spurffelbow833

Supporting Member
Jun 23, 2020
The 20th century was a golden era of sports, ending in style with the golden era of college football in Florida. We were blessed with the greatest encore of them all, multiple titles in football and basketball and another Heisman winner. It's over. Keep the memories. Let it go.

History will record that the four major American team sports were a phenomenon of the 20th century.

Last edited:

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
I probably have most of those magazines in my collection. File cabinet in garage and others in my Gator Room. I discovered SI around 1971 maybe. In our school library. Thank GOD the quiet little lady ordered it. I discovered UCLA basketball , John WOoden and Bill Walton. I had a subscription up till a few months ago. Like my Gainesville Sun it was just a shell of its self. All the good writers and good writing was gone. CHanged format. Wrote shttt NOBODY cared about or maybe a tiny fraction did. I loved SI. I swear back in the Spurrier years when we were killing it and SI wrote about us a lot my damned mail man would snag it and read it before delivering it to me. It should have been there a certain day but came much later when SI had a good UF story. I thought "you SOB you make more as a mailman than I do as a teacher. Get your own fckikkn subscription.' I used to LOVE reading the morning paper and SI cover to cover each week. All that shttt has gone the way of college football, uncluttered Florida roads, easy access to small lakes in Fla. (all bought up), affordable college and health care and civility in general. But I got to enjoy it for many decades. The world has bowed down to the almighty dollar and the bottom line has ended the Golden age of a life of quality at least in my realm. But now my real enjoyment comes from reading history and some fiction and talking to and spending time with friends. Even this place seems much less fun. I guess the demise of UF football and basketball has accelerated the negativity and that doesnt appeal to me.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I probably have most of those magazines in my collection. File cabinet in garage and others in my Gator Room. I discovered SI around 1971 maybe. In our school library. Thank GOD the quiet little lady ordered it. I discovered UCLA basketball , John WOoden and Bill Walton. I had a subscription up till a few months ago. Like my Gainesville Sun it was just a shell of its self. All the good writers and good writing was gone. CHanged format. Wrote shttt NOBODY cared about or maybe a tiny fraction did. I loved SI. I swear back in the Spurrier years when we were killing it and SI wrote about us a lot my damned mail man would snag it and read it before delivering it to me. It should have been there a certain day but came much later when SI had a good UF story. I thought "you SOB you make more as a mailman than I do as a teacher. Get your own fckikkn subscription.' I used to LOVE reading the morning paper and SI cover to cover each week. All that shttt has gone the way of college football, uncluttered Florida roads, easy access to small lakes in Fla. (all bought up), affordable college and health care and civility in general. But I got to enjoy it for many decades. The world has bowed down to the almighty dollar and the bottom line has ended the Golden age of a life of quality at least in my realm. But now my real enjoyment comes from reading history and some fiction and talking to and spending time with friends. Even this place seems much less fun. I guess the demise of UF football and basketball has accelerated the negativity and that doesnt appeal to me.

They died(or are dying) because they tried catering to a tiny fraction of the market by putting fat women and trannies on their cover, bizarrely with abundant data and knowledge that it would alienate the masses that once flocked to their product thereby destroying their business. The almighty dollar, is simply the go-between here that has stopped “going” due to poor business choices and deserves absolutely no blame whatsoever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.