RIP Wes Unseld

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
A favorite of mine as a kid and a very decent man.
EZgtjKKWoAAF8oq

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I played with his brother on the Marine Corps Team in the late 60's. Met Wes once, nice guy. RIP

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
If I remember correctly he won a championship in the mid 70's playing along side Elvin Hayes....Ah back to the days when basketball was good.
Yes, 77-78. Elvin and Wes were teammates for years without winning a title. The difference that year was the addition of Bobby Dandridge, a very good small forward. It was the first time a team I rooted for won a title.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
The epitome of an undersized center who knew how to play the game. RIP
I had a coach who encouraged us to watch Wes for how he boxed out. We chose to ignore the fact none of us were even remotely as strong as he was nor had a butt that big.

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
The Big E and Wes Unseld. Unseld was a complete Grizzly Bear in the middle. He played when pro basketball was fun to watch.

NVAGATOR86

Lifetime Member
Nov 10, 2017
Big Wes was a force in the paint. That was a very entertaining series with the Supersonics. Unseld , Hayes , Chenier, Kupchak . They could play. I remember watching the finals in a favorite bar in Lauderdale called Lesters. on Federal Highway near the old Sears Town. Big home made sandwiches , beer in frosted mugs, and one of the coldest and darkest bars in town. Perfect for watching games.

RIP Baby Bull.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
If I remember correctly he won a championship in the mid 70's playing along side Elvin Hayes....Ah back to the days when basketball was good.[/QUO

Before the Jordan Rules....

g8tr76

Lifetime Member
Mar 28, 2016
Wes was a phenom high school athlete. I lived in Kentucky and attended high school in Louisville in the early to mid-60's. I was in a drive-in movie and listening to the Ky championship tournament.
Wes went to Seneca High and Seneca was behind by one point when Wes dribbled up the floor and as time expired he threw up a shot from mid court; Seneca wins. Exhilaration doesn't quite explain the emotion. I never met Wes, but it was a time when the Cassius Clay (another Louisville native) beat Sonny Liston and Wes gave us another source of pride. Rest in Peace.​

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator