RIP ZZ Top Bassist Dusty Hill

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
So sorry to hear this.
I know these guys are getting up there in age but it’s still hard to accept.

Although they moved towards the pop charts in the 80’s, this little band from Texas knocked me, and many others, over when they first hit the scene in the early 70’s with a truly unique sound that still stands out today.

G. Gordon Gator

Intrepid Chauvinist
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2018
So sorry to hear this.
I know these guys are getting up there in age but it’s still hard to accept.

Although they moved towards the pop charts in the 80’s, this little band from Texas knocked me, and many others, over when they first hit the scene in the early 70’s with a truly unique sound that still stands out today.
I became familiar with them from their 80's hits, but in the early 90's picked up a 3-CD set of their early stuff, called simply, "The Sixpack." If it was possible to wear CDs out, I would've worn down all three of those discs to nothing. Nowadays all my old CDs have been uploaded and my music is safely tucked away on a 256GB Micro SD card in my phone, but the old Sixpack is still one of my go-to favorites for all kinds of moods. Great music, great style, great band. RIP Dusty Hill.

dusty-hill-zz-top-mal-bray.jpg

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Rip but ........... Sports Forum?

secgator

Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
Growing up here in Pcola I remember vividly when they were just getting started in early 70's and used to play fairly regularly in some of the clubs here in the area...whether on the beach or in town. As they got bigger, I used to listen to New Orleans radio stations and can still hear to this day, the ads when ZZ Top, that little ole band from Texas was to play at The Warehouse in NO. I assume it was basically a music hall for lack of better term. They were THE main draw in that place for years. When they came out with Rio Grande Mud album, it shot them into national prominence....then Tres Hombres album(with La Grange) and it was the stratosphere and only got bigger.

A friend of mine was friends with Billy Gibbons and every time ZZTop came to play in Pensacola or Mobile, my friend Doug ALWAYS got us backstage before, during, and especially after the concert. Great guys to hang with, and I was lucky enough to get that chance about 6-7 times over the next 10 years or so. I miss those days a bunch.

This vid is from the R&R Hall of Fame show in 2012 with Dusty, Gibbons, Bonamassa, and Derek Trucks playing a Freddie King number as King was being inducted. Dusty isn't the main draw as this was a hot guitar number, but he always played a mean solid bass, and overlooked by a lot of people Dusty had a strong voice. He wasn't featured much on vocals but when he was, he always came through strong.

For you Dusty, RIP...his parts begin around 1:00 mark or so.(The entire numbers is good--not just Dusty Hills)

van Go(gh) Gator(s)

Banned
BANNED
Jun 3, 2021
Growing up here in Pcola I remember vividly when they were just getting started in early 70's and used to play fairly regularly in some of the clubs here in the area...whether on the beach or in town. As they got bigger, I used to listen to New Orleans radio stations and can still hear to this day, the ads when ZZ Top, that little ole band from Texas was to play at The Warehouse in NO. I assume it was basically a music hall for lack of better term. They were THE main draw in that place for years. When they came out with Rio Grande Mud album, it shot them into national prominence....then Tres Hombres album(with La Grange) and it was the stratosphere and only got bigger.

A friend of mine was friends with Billy Gibbons and every time ZZTop came to play in Pensacola or Mobile, my friend Doug ALWAYS got us backstage before, during, and especially after the concert. Great guys to hang with, and I was lucky enough to get that chance about 6-7 times over the next 10 years or so. I miss those days a bunch.

This vid is from the R&R Hall of Fame show in 2012 with Dusty, Gibbons, Bonamassa, and Derek Trucks playing a Freddie King number as King was being inducted. Dusty isn't the main draw as this was a hot guitar number, but he always played a mean solid bass, and overlooked by a lot of people Dusty had a strong voice. He wasn't featured much on vocals but when he was, he always came through strong.

For you Dusty, RIP...his parts begin around 1:00 mark or so.(The entire numbers is good--not just Dusty Hills)

Deguello was my favorite album by them followed by Fandango.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.