PastyStoole

Founding Member
Man, there's no boundary line to art. ~Bird Parker
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Shea Showers came here as a WR.

Alex.
Yes, and you'll recall he scored a touchdown on a trick play Spurrier devised. Dean Golden, an offensive lineman, lined up as an eligible receiver, took a screen pass and fired it back across the field to Shea Showers who trotted in for a TD. The next day the Sun ran a photo of Spurrier excitedly leaping in the air as he watched the play unfold and captioned the photo, "Spurrier Enjoys Golden-Showers Play"

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Let Cece play his natural position for a year and we'll see what he does, up to this point he's done what the coaching staff has asked of him. The only reason we had 2 points against clown U 2 years ago was because of him. I think Cece will have a good year this year, if used right. The guy is a team player and unselfish, what more could you want?

Yep he looks like he will be a force at DE.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
We are raking in recruits left and right and shooting up the recruiting rankings so Haters and Complainers and Trolls HAVE to come up with a new thread to COMPLAIN about yet again. We could be top 2 in recruiting and sign 24 and they would say oh well we should have signed 25, this is not enough or not enough 5 stars etc. LOLOL at TROLL LOSERS

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
hqdefault.jpg

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Dude, those kids were 8 coaching staff's ago. I understand we sign a few CJ McWilliams.....but we also sign a few Ahmad Black's. Every school does. Show me a college football team that hits on every DB, QB, OL, LB, etc they sign.

The FACT is we are about to see a true freshman CB starting for us this fall because we DO NOT HAVE ENOUGH DB's ON OUR ROSTER!!!

HELLO!!!!!

We have 20 DBs on our roster. WTF do you.want? 30? 40? 85?

What we dont have is many talented DBs. which is exactly why would should sign six shytty ones every damn year.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
We have 14 scholarship DB's on the roster now that McWilliams is gone. 5 are True Freshmen and one is out for the season (Harris). We also have a few young guys with no experience.

Both Law and BMF are right. We have a lot of DBs, but not enough proven guys. Dawson, Washington, Harris and Gardner are the only proven guys we've got back there. Taylor and Lenton were backup type guys in the prior class. They could potentially be 3* diamonds in the rough, but let's just hope they are competent. Putu is a two star emergency backup and ST guy.

We have some talented Freshmen coming in, but can they catch on quick enough. I feel good about Wilson, Stewart, and Davis, but Stewart and Davis may end up at S. Henderson is a wild card, because he's immensely talented physically, but not sure how quick he can refine his skills at CB. Stiner was a mistake, and i think we got scared we were going to miss out and let him commit out of desperation. I think he'll be gone in a year or two and they'll wish they'd let Trusdell jump on board.

Without knowing who'll pan out, we've got 3 quality Sr's leaving plus Putu. Now we may get Harris back another year, but he'll be gone with Gardner the following year. How much longer until Burnett, Stiner, and whomever else will get pushed out? So Law's right that we have too much dead weight in the secondary, but BMF is right that we don't have the talent developed there yet.

Outside of Powell and maybe Massey, I'm not sure what WR could play DB. Swain, Hammond, and Cleveland are all showing potential and Wells was redshirted. Now that we are getting some good WR commits, some of these guys could get left behind and make for good back up CBs.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
We have 20 DBs on our roster. WTF do you.want? 30? 40? 85?

What we dont have is many talented DBs. which is exactly why would should sign six shytty ones every damn year.

My ideal roster break down is for 15 DBs. But keep in mind DBs are also candidates to play special teams, particularly coverage teams in ways that OL and DL are not. DBs are also by far the hardest positions to scout in high school. So taking an extra DB when you have an extra open scholarship is smart in my view.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
With 6 scholarship QBs you would think one could play halfway decent this year.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
We definitely need to upgrade talent at DT/LB and push some guys out but we have decent numbers.

I'm happy with the way the young LBs played last year. If the new guys can ramp up like the guys last year did it will really help. I do prefer having upperclassman at this position, but those guys got some experience last year and made plays.

The big issue to me is the DTs. I do think we will be relying too much on the true freshmen there, but hopefully they can help us out and make plays to allow the upperclassmen to get some rest and not get burnt out.

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
The big issue to me is the DTs. I do think we will be relying too much on the true freshmen there, but hopefully they can help us out and make plays to allow the upperclassmen to get some rest and not get burnt out.

Agreed! I see 5 True DT'S and 3 are freshman...that's scary!

Clark/Bryan should be pretty good...Ancrum was a "reach/project" who hasn't put on the weight/muscle to play inside and is to slow to play DE...Polite is under sized and can't hold up inside against the big boys...We don't know wtf we're going to get out of Desir-Jones but at least he has the size to hold up inside...then the Freshman. Smh...i think those guys will play ALOT out of necessity. Them some big dudes we brought in so we'll see what happens going forward. If Bryan or Clark goes down...were screwed!

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
With 6 scholarship QBs you would think one could play halfway decent this year.
We'll have about 3-4 on scholarship after this season..Mac can't afford to renew Del-Rio after this season...give that ship to someone who's going to contribute and who isn't rich! If Luke is going to stay let his daddy pay his way.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
We'll have about 3-4 on scholarship after this season..Mac can't afford to renew Del-Rio after this season...give that ship to someone who's going to contribute and who isn't rich! If Luke is going to stay let his daddy pay his way.

If they don't renew LDR's scholarship that might be one hell of a tweet storm after his comments recently despite his family being rich. :lol:

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Agreed! I see 5 True DT'S and 3 are freshman...that's scary!

Clark/Bryan should be pretty good...Ancrum was a "reach/project" who hasn't put on the weight/muscle to play inside and is to slow to play DE...Polite is under sized and can't hold up inside against the big boys...We don't know wtf we're going to get out of Desir-Jones but at least he has the size to hold up inside...then the Freshman. Smh...i think those guys will play ALOT out of necessity. Them some big dudes we brought in so we'll see what happens going forward. If Bryan or Clark goes down...were screwed!
I'm happy with the way the young LBs played last year. If the new guys can ramp up like the guys last year did it will really help. I do prefer having upperclassman at this position, but those guys got some experience last year and made plays.

I want to know what the plan for Riles is. He very likely doesn't see the field on Offense, so I'd like to see him moved over. We've discussed this throughout the off-season, but I still think he's a good stop-gap until the younger guys get their feet wet. If he's healthy, at 6'4 310-ish, he's our best option for the #3 or 4 DT in the rotation - anywhere from 10-25 snaps/game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.