Rubio goes savage on FSU

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Double Gator Dad said:
I cannot believe what Rubio said during the debate.

The question to each candidate was:
The president always has a secret service code name. For example, Reagan’s was Rawhide due to his acting days. If you become president, what would you want yours to be?

Rubio said: “I got some grief this week over something I said about Florida State but what the heck, I would want my code name to be gator.”

I can’t believe he actually said that.
What a stupid question for a debate. But, i suspect Rubio is gaining more support than losing with his FSU bashing.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Double Gator Dad said:

The president always has a secret service code name. For example, Reagan’s was Rawhide due to his acting days. If you become president, what would you want yours to be?

Rubio said: “I got some grief this week over something I said about Florida State but what the heck, I would want my code name to be gator.”

In before merge

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Double Gator Dad said:

MidwestChomp;n279996 said:
What a stupid question for a debate. But, i suspect Rubio is gaining more support than losing with his FSU bashing.
Can criminoles vote?

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
AlexDaGator;n279858 said:
OK, I was trying to avoid politics but here is what is happening.

Rubio is trying to push the image of being young and fun, cool and relaxed. Hence the football video (totally scripted but made to look impromtu) and him going on a SPORTS radio show in Iowa.

Right now, he really can't talk much football smack against FSU. They have had the upper hand the last couple of years. But he needs to show he's not a politician, he's "one of the guys" so he comes up with academic smack.

Generally speaking, this wouldn't be a problem. Academic smack is weak smack. Do we give a crap if Vandy's incoming freshmen have a .003 higher average GPA than ours??? If it was between Duke and North Carolina or Georgia and Georgia Tech or even Virginia and Virginia Tech, nobody would care. Let's pretend Rubio was an FSU grad and said this about Miami. No big deal, right? Everybody gets a chuckle and that's it.

BUT--

FSU has a huge inferiority complex when it comes to UF and it burns them up inside--constantly. No matter how successful they may be, the perception is that they are always second best. They rage about this on the inside, they are...angry...at us for feeling superior to them all the time no matter what. It drives them crazy. 'Noles don't bother us so much. We infuriate them just by our existence. They hate us a lot more than we hate them (and I really, really hate them so that's saying something).

Rubio's political mistake was that he hit a very sore nerve and he hit it hard. Plus, ESPN ran with it, as did all the Florida sports media. It was like rubbing salt in their wounds. Normally a freakin' University President would be above this sort of thing but Thrasher HAD to fire back. His alumni base demanded it.

Rubio just wanted to tweak them but he ended up kicking them in the balls with a steel-toed boot.

He misjudged it quite badly.

Funny for us. I'm still laughing at those 'Noles. Stupid 'Noles. Not so funny for Rubio. He's getting a pretty big backlash.

I bet Rubio wishes he had gone a different direction, maybe made some joke about Sgt. Schultz and FSU "I see nothing!". We all know that in the real world, covering up the rape of a coed by a football player is 100 times worse than a (very true) statement that my school is better than your school but the FSU fan reaction is just the opposite.

So, Rubio probably welcomes FSU President's comments so he can play it off as good-natured back and forth rivalry smack, and he absolutely posed for that picture with his FSU staffers "getting him back" with the stuff on the door. He meant to toss a firecracker but he threw a grenade by mistake. Now he's trying to fix it.

In the meantime, sit back, relax, and enjoy our rivals losing their freakin' minds because somebody said something everybody already knew.

Stupid 'Noles! Can't wait to beat the crap out of them.

Alex.

Osceola don't vote. Can't actually.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Double Gator Dad said:

AugustaGator;n280019 said:
Can criminoles vote?
Most fast food workers weren't going to vote for him anyway.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Double Gator Dad said:

AugustaGator;n280019 said:
Can criminoles vote?
No. Too much work to get the voting machine to work for them.

BTW, nice Rubio.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Double Gator Dad said:

Sticking to his guns... I can respect that. Of course, now that he stated his code name, he'll have to change it if he's elected. My top recommendations, off the cuff:

Head Ball Coach
SOS
Danny Boy
Timmy
Tebow
Wilbur
Emmitt
Jack
Percy
Two Bits
Albert
Big Al

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Double Gator Dad said:

MidwestChomp;279996 said:
What a stupid question for a debate.

It is a stupid question, but how long has it been since voters paid attention to what's truly important? At least this provided Gators with some entertainment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
Double Gator Dad said:

He said after the debate that when he's elected President of the United States he'll officially change it to Gator Nation.

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
threatmatrix;n279991 said:
Rubio just said if elected President he'd want his FBI code name to be Gator - Doesn't care how FSU feels about it. So, no he doesn't wish he went another direction.
He was also heard to say that when he becomes President of the United States he'll rename it Gator Nation.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
threatmatrix;n279991 said:
Rubio just said if elected President he'd want his FBI code name to be Gator - Doesn't care how FSU feels about it. So, no he doesn't wish he went another direction.

I heard that last night. It was awesome. Although, I think the question was what he'd want his secret service code name to be. He said something like, 'I know there a a lot of people in the state of Florida angry with me right now, but what the heck... I'm a Gator, so I'd want mine to be Gator."

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.