Scoring and total offense improvement was significant

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
With the woeful lack of offense and scoring that has plagued us for what seems like forever, I was curious to see how we stacked up after CDM's first full regular season in those areas.. As it turns out, we exceeded my preseason expectations by a fairly significant margin:

Total offense - 48th at 426.7 YPG

Scoring offense - 31st at 34.5 YPG

Not astounding figures, but a huge improvement over the quagmire we've been stuck in for almost a decade. Is it in fact time to stop worrying and learn to love the RPO? What say you?

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Scoring 30+ has seemed unfathomable the last decade. Even against clowns and cupcakes.

YLGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 14, 2016
Great improvement. No doubt is was a good first year. Now we see if Mullen can get us to the next level. It will be a much more positive offseason pondering those prospects.

UFHealthGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 12, 2017
With the woeful lack of offense and scoring that has plagued us for what seems like forever, I was curious to see how we stacked up after CDM's first full regular season in those areas.. As it turns out, we exceeded my preseason expectations by a fairly significant margin:

Total offense - 31st at 426.7 YPG

Scoring offense - 48th at 34.5 YPG

Not astounding figures, but a huge improvement over the quagmire we've been stuck in for almost a decade. Is it in fact time to stop worrying and learn to love the RPO? What say you?

These are astounding figures. I doubt we had anything close to that since 2009.

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
Scoring 30+ has seemed unfathomable the last decade. Even against clowns and cupcakes.
Yeah, I was beginning to wonder if there was a law against it and we were the only ones obeying it. In all seriousness though, what are your thoughts on the way things are unfolding with the RPO? I have decidedly mixed feelings myself, but I'm warming up to it based on the fact that we finally seem to at least have a pulse on O.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
It's a nice feeling not to see the punter so often....
A lot to work on still but were way ahead of where I thought we would be.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, I was beginning to wonder if there was a law against it and we were the only ones obeying it. In all seriousness though, what are your thoughts on the way things are unfolding with the RPO? I have decidedly mixed feelings myself, but I'm warming up to it based on the fact that we finally seem to at least have a pulse on O.
I like it. BTW, RPO often is NOT what most people think. It's not JUST the QB keeping or throwing.
Often, maybe usually, it is the QB deciding whether to give the ball to tailback or throw. (Second video below). It basically forces a defensive player to choose run or pass and punishes him for either choice.

I like it ALOT better than WRs blocking 80% of the time.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Lizard, which site indicates that yards per game figure ranks 31st? The NCAA site has us 48th in total offense. Still a big improvement.

College Football FBS Stats | NCAA.com

Edit: I see what happened. You got the rankings turned around. We're 31st in scoring, 48th in total offense. Again, notable improvements in each area.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Great improvement. No doubt is was a good first year. Now we see if Mullen can get us to the next level. It will be a much more positive offseason pondering those prospects.

Does this mean we aren't going to kill each other this off season?

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Exceptional improvement from last year. Other than some new names, basically the same team. Difference, COACHING. Expectations were surpassed for the year. I was hoping that we be out of the three digit numbers, competitive, and fun to watch. Now CDM, get improvement in recruiting and keep building. We have an advantage now in the state. Keep it there.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Has there ever been a season when we scored 40+ points at both UT and FSU?

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
Here is another astounding statistic to add to that improvement:

-neteng's motivation to be interested in college football into the month of November has improved 100% compared to the previous 7 years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator