Seattle, NYC, SF, Philly, Atlanta - would you visit today?

Would you feel safe doing touristy stuff in Seattle?

• Yes

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • No

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • Hell no, run!

Votes: 9 47.4%

• Total voters

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Looking for up-to-date advice on visiting Seattle. It's been about 30 years since I've been and done the touristy stuff. We have a layover in Seattle this summer so the question is do we go a day early and visit the city? Everything I see on the news lately says hell no! We can book an AirBNB in walking distance to Pikes Market and the space needle.

I don't think we will be back anytime soon so do we take advantage of the time in the city or fly in with minimal time there and get out?

Have you visited lately and how relatively safe is the city now for a family to visit?

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
How about:

NYC
San Francisco
Atlanta
Philadelphia

Son is going to NYC on his senior trip in April. We have concerns but think it will be safe. I have no desire to go with him. They are staying off the subway though.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Looking for up-to-date advice on visiting Seattle. It's been about 30 years since I've been and done the touristy stuff. We have a layover in Seattle this summer so the question is do we go a day early and visit the city? Everything I see on the news lately says hell no! We can book an AirBNB in walking distance to Pikes Market and the space needle.

I don't think we will be back anytime soon so do we take advantage of the time in the city or fly in with minimal time there and get out?

Have you visited lately and how relatively safe is the city now for a family to visit?

My company's HQ is in Seattle and my manager just visited there in December. He loved it but there are areas to avoid. If you stick with the touristy spots, you should be fine. That's mainly where cities will put their enforcement (e.g. Times Square in NYC). Not saying that there won't be weirdness in those tourist areas, but if there is, there will most likely be some sort of police presence. The other co-workers that are based in Seattle tell me they only go into the office maybe a couple of times a month and they don't typically venture out of the 'safe' areas.
Overall - it's probably a great trip if you're careful about where you go.
I'm heading there in late February for some customer briefings - If I don't post anything after 2/24 or so, you'll know I didn't make it out alive.

Tell everyone my story if I don't.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Thanks Diddy. Appreciate the input and depending on your survival next month, we will make a decision. I feel like they would protect the tourist areas the most considering it’s a large portion of income for businesses. I would hate to miss the opportunity to visit the area with the kids, but I don’t want to be stupid about it either.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
How about:

NYC
San Francisco
Atlanta
Philadelphia

Son is going to NYC on his senior trip in April. We have concerns but think it will be safe. I have no desire to go with him. They are staying off the subway though.
As for ATL, everything is fine and safe - north of Buckhead. If you are planning on entering the actual city limits, first ensure your premiums are all up to date.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
As for ATL, everything is fine and safe - north of Buckhead. If you are planning on entering the actual city limits, first ensure your premiums are all up to date.
Son went to a Ga Tech camp over the summer and I stayed a few nights with my niece. It was fun but glad I was with a local going downtown. Had some concerns about keeping my car on the street with luggage but it was ok. So glad Ga Tech didn't make the short list of colleges for Lil Seedy.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Son went to a Ga Tech camp over the summer and I stayed a few nights with my niece. It was fun but glad I was with a local going downtown. Had some concerns about keeping my car on the street with luggage but it was ok. So glad Ga Tech didn't make the short list of colleges for Lil Seedy.
Was it the engineering camp? My son went to that and really enjoyed it, but ended up not majoring in engineering!

Ga Tech is a great school but in a horrible location. You were fortunate your car was not broken into

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Was it the engineering camp? My son went to that and really enjoyed it, but ended up not majoring in engineering!

Ga Tech is a great school but in a horrible location. You were fortunate your car was not broken into

Probably wasn’t a horrible location back in the day - progress!

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020

Yes, he really enjoyed it.

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017
I live in a suburb of Denver. You can't pay me enough to head into downtown Denver. I carry and the laws there only protect the vagrant/criminal class. Not worth the trouble.

But I am sure all other metro cities are fine!

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
I live in a suburb of Denver. You can't pay me enough to head into downtown Denver. I carry and the laws there only protect the vagrant/criminal class. Not worth the trouble.

But I am sure all other metro cities are fine!
Yep, Denver has certainly went downhill fast since BNA moved there, huh? :fistbump:

LaylaGator

Born to Hate Florida State
Lifetime Member
Feb 28, 2021
I spent 4 years in Atlanta (1997-2001), partly for law school and partly for my first year of work. It was pleasant at the time, but I have no regrets on letting my Georgia Bar license lapse. F that hellscape.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
My company's HQ is in Seattle and my manager just visited there in December. He loved it but there are areas to avoid. If you stick with the touristy spots, you should be fine. That's mainly where cities will put their enforcement (e.g. Times Square in NYC). Not saying that there won't be weirdness in those tourist areas, but if there is, there will most likely be some sort of police presence. The other co-workers that are based in Seattle tell me they only go into the office maybe a couple of times a month and they don't typically venture out of the 'safe' areas.
Overall - it's probably a great trip if you're careful about where you go.
I'm heading there in late February for some customer briefings - If I don't post anything after 2/24 or so, you'll know I didn't make it out alive.

Tell everyone my story if I don't.

Waiting…

Moone Boy Waiting GIF by HULU

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
@CDGator

To the original question, I’d skip all right now. But of those options, midtown East side is the safest, even in current climate. Still can access the Met, MoNH, Rockefeller, Central Park Zoo, etc. within a short walk or cab ride. Plus access to restaurants. All that said, my family used to make a trip to New York almost every year, and have not been in three years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.