SEC Changes

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
I believe UGA/Barn is the south’s oldest rivalry
Might be. I thought there was some “oldest” moniker about Barn Florida. Maybe Florida’s oldest rival? I dunno, could just be totally wrong.

Gatorbreath

Founding Member
The original "Breath" of the GCMB.
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
OU may leave, but Texas is going no where. And here's why:

Longhorn Network - Wikipedia

The Longhorn Network and their refusal to share with other conference members was among the biggest reasons Mizzou and aTm left and was a major reason UT and OU didn't jump to the Pac 12 few years ago (with Okie State and Texas Tech, I believe).

It is a big issue. I doubt any conference, and especially one as strong as ours, would allow them to continue to have their own network.

Is their brand big enough to stand on their own with that network? I doubt it. Only ND can make that argument and they have a much more glorious football past - and a boatload of Catholics to prop them up. And they still were forced into a scheduling arrangement with the ACC. By all accounts, BYU is hanging on by a thread until the next wave and they have LDS adherents all over the country supporting them.

The business of sports fascinates me. I look forward to the next round of realignment - if it comes.

GatorAuthor

Bringing Prestige Worldwide
Feb 24, 2016
Vandy would win the UCF conference every year. It's ridiculous to suggest that UCF would have any success in the SEC considering they are what? 2-10 versus P5 schools. And not very good P5 schools at that. UCF is a bowl loss away from being a forgotten forever.

I do not think Vandy would win anything. Nope. Not sure anyone said UCF would win a division or the conference, but UCF would 100% be competitive with some of the garbage teams in the SEC right now.

KronoGator

Aug 28, 2014
ESPN is desperate to be rid of the longhorn network, it's a massive money loser, in a few years I'm betting it will only be on in Texas, once it tanks you might see more realignment.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
They

just

lost

to

Pitt.

And they struggle vs Memphis basically every year.

They play on maybe 2 Power 5 teams a year and 10-11 other directional cupcakes.
They would be Tinerc Martin by the second week of October even playing ACC or PAC schedule by time they lost a handful of their only semi talented players.

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
Mizzu was unfortunate, we wanted Texas, Okie and Okie State (apparently a package deal). Mizzu brings two major cities though, and ad revenue $ but .... none of the other options were ever even an actual consideration.

you’d be surprised about that. Missouri really doesn’t bring two markets. STL and KC both draw other teams. KC is big in Nebraska due to proximity to Omaha.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
you’d be surprised about that. Missouri really doesn’t bring two markets. STL and KC both draw other teams. KC is big in Nebraska due to proximity to Omaha.
It is two TV markets, bottom line.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Seriously, absent another tectonic wave of realignment, which may or may not occur as TV contracts come up for renegotiation in a couple of years, one change I'd love to see immediately is the East trading Mizzou to the West for Auburn. Bammer aside (and I get how friggin big that rivalry is), it would reunite Auburn with 3 big rivals (us, the Humpers and the Chuggers), it would provide some competitive balance and make more sense geographically.

Certainly protect the Iron Bowl, but bring Barn east and send Mizzou west.

Agree, but the rivalry that would need to end is Ut - Bama. The Vols May be ready to let that one go...so they can focus on Vandy.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Not talking about football at all. UVA would never leave the ACC. I'm talking as a university. I live in Virginia and there's a 'snobery' to UVA (more elitist). They are happy in the ACC and did not really welcome Va Tech to the ACC....and honestly I think UVA would be happy to see VT leave. IMO, VT would be a great addition to the SEC - plus, as mentioned earlier, it gives the SEC footprint in the state and the DMV (DC area).
When Tech applied to join the ACC, it initially looked like they were going to lose in a close vote. UVA switched from a “no” to a “yes” and brought along another school or two. Word was, they had severe pressure brought upon them by the Governor (Mark Warner maybe?) and they caved. Ala Don Corleone, I think he pretty much made them an offer they couldn’t refuse. As a native Virginian, I too can attest to the fact that UVA is pretty elitist and that the two schools don’t care for one another very much. I too believe they would never leave the ACC. If for some reason they ever did, it would not be for the SEC. Way too “beneath” them.

5-Star Finger

Apex predator of the political forum biome
Lifetime Member
Nov 16, 2017
As a native Virginian, I too can attest to the fact that UVA is pretty elitist and that the two schools don’t care for one another very much.

Almost completely off topic, but one of my favorite pieces of Virginia history relating to elitist UVA:
University of Virginia Riot of 1836

This riot was actually the culmination of years of disorderly conduct by the student body that involved at various times: celebratory gunfire on the campus parade ground; horsewhipping a professor, public intoxication, armed militias of both students and faculty, burning barrels of tar, and an assassination of a professor (of law I believe). Prior to his death Jefferson was once reduced to tears by their behavior.

This book is a fun read regarding the very early years: Rot, Riot and Rebellion: Mr. Jefferson's Struggle to Save the University That Change America by Rex Bowman and Carlos Santos

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
I do not think Vandy would win anything. Nope. Not sure anyone said UCF would win a division or the conference, but UCF would 100% be competitive with some of the garbage teams in the SEC right now.
Yeah, like they were competitive with Pitt. Vandy woud tear a new azzhole in the UCF conference.

5-Star Finger

Apex predator of the political forum biome
Lifetime Member
Nov 16, 2017
UCF could beat half the teams in the SEC. They'd be a logical addition.

They lost to a team that .500 in the ACC last year. Just stop with UCF nonsense. They run a basic offense that depends entirely on their ability to go fast. When they can't, their defense can't stop a moist fart. If not for the insane ineptitude of the Pitt coaching staff combined with Pitt being reduced to playing a guy with a hamstring injury at corner UCF gets rolled by at least four scores...by Pitt. That is a 3-4 win team in any major conference tops. Maybe 5-6 win in the ACC.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator