Secondary and quarterback

The Original DC

Founding Member
Postradamus
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I have no confidence in Muschamp coming up with this on his own, but here are a few suggestions. How about putting putting Quincy Wilson or Tabor at corner and move Poole back to Nickel or Safety where he was a solid player for us last year? That gives you experience and a better cover guy at one of the positions we are getting murdered at. And how God-awful must Nick Washington and Marcel Harris be if they can't sniff the field with this bunch in front of them? Marcus Maye is actually pretty damn good against the run, but he and Gorman can't cover people AT ALL. Neal seems fine until he gets confused, which happens 3 or 4 times a game, and that usually results in someone connecting on an 80-yard bomb with Neal chasing haplessly behind him. Lessen your liability at safety by putting Poole back there and roll out baptism by fire with Tabor/Wilson at CB.

Here's what I'm convinced of with Jeff Driskel; he fools the coaches, he's done it with 3 different OC's now. He fools them by looking like a stud in practice, looking like a big, fast, strong-armed athlete. I've seen several practices myself where Driskel is throwing darts all over and looking like a million bucks. He thrives in practice because he's secured by his red jersey and he's comfortable knowing nobody is going to truly pressure/hit him in practice. But when the lights come on and live bullets start flying, this is a different dude. "Deer in the headlights" doesn't even touch it. Remember the reports that he never threw an interception at all during fall practice? Well, that should have been sign #1 that our secondary was beyond abysmal instead of affirmation of how good Driskel had become. At this point, we MUST see what Treon Harris can do. Hell, he may be a phenom for all we know. Can he possibly be worse?

It is unimaginable to me that none of these defensive coaches; Durkin, Robinson or Muschamp, could pick up on any signs that our secondary was seriously under-skilled and under-developed. Our secondary is so ****ty that Driskel never threw a pick against them, thus giving Roper a false impression that Driskel was something he's not come game time. I'm guessing Roper had a moment during Bama where he asked himself, "who the **** is that guy and what has he done with the Jeff Driskel I watched practice for 8 weeks?" Make changes, coaches, NOW!

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Great post DC. Treon needs to get the start vs Tenucee and see if he has "it". I agree with putting Quincy at corner and moving Poole to safety. I think Neal has the potential to be really, really good. He's just a sophomore. And he's come up with some big turnovers the last couple games.

The Original DC

Founding Member
Postradamus
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I was at the game live, so maybe it was different on tv, but it appeared to me that the o-line did a reasonably good job giving Driskel time. Driskel simply could not and would not make the throws. Unbelievable how he nuts up in games.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
So how was the game in person? Good atmosphere?

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Good suggestions. The Poole experiment is over, IMO. He can play Nickel but not what he's being asked to do. And then May struggles where he's at and Neal is total hit and miss. Some of this will come with time, so I think by years end they would be ok. But I still don't think it's a natural fit for either of the first two guys. I'd put Tabor at corner and live with the results. Put May back to SS. Put Poole at Nickel. Put Muschamp in a UHaul.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I think Driskel being a starter with all the different OCs just shows its Muschamp promising him the job. Evidently Muschamp must have told him it was his job once Brantley was gone to keep him as a recruit when he first hired on. Nothing else can explain it when the kid hasn't shown any ability to be a decent SEC QB in about 18 starts now. I watched enough of Duke last season to know that this isn't how Roper wants to run his offense.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJ;n57196 said:
Treon needs to get the start vs Tenucee and see if he has "it".
We all know the chances of that happening are the same as me waking up tomorrow with a 3rd testicle.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
The Original DC;n57206 said:
I was at the game live, so maybe it was different on tv, but it appeared to me that the o-line did a reasonably good job giving Driskel time. Driskel simply could not and would not make the throws. Unbelievable how he nuts up in games.
The offensive line protected reasonably well yesterday, which was pretty surprising. I mean, they gave up some pressure here and there, but that's going to happen.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch said:
The Original DC;n57206 said:
The offensive line protected reasonably well yesterday, which was pretty surprising. I mean, they gave up some pressure here and there, but that's going to happen.
I thought they did a pretty decent job also. Nothing like last season.

The Original DC

Founding Member
Postradamus
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n57213 said:
So how was the game in person? Good atmosphere?

Not your typical Bama-Florida atmosphere at all. The sense was, they knew they were going to win and the crowd simply seemed agitated at times that it was taking so long to put us away. Sad.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
oxrageous;n57216 said:
We all know the chances of that happening are the same as me waking up tomorrow with a 3rd testicle.

He already addressed this last night. Paraphrasing, he clearly say that in order to win games like that he Jeff Driskel needs to play. It's on rivals.

And as I sad last night, there's probably some merit to that. Starting a June -arrival true freshman in the SEC typically doesn't go well. For a guy that's trying to hang on for dear life, he's going to opt for the safe route. The 2003 Leak comparisons aren't really that similar. We made a push for the East in 2002, had a banner class and hadn't completely reached the point of giving up Zook. In effect, he was playing for next year. None of those factors are at play here.

The Original DC

Founding Member
Postradamus
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;n57214 said:
Good suggestions. The Poole experiment is over, IMO. He can play Nickel but not what he's being asked to do. And then May struggles where he's at and Neal is total hit and miss. Some of this will come with time, so I think by years end they would be ok. But I still don't think it's a natural fit for either of the first two guys. I'd put Tabor at corner and live with the results. Put May back to SS. Put Poole at Nickel. Put Muschamp in a UHaul.

Agree with all, except I actually like Wilson a little better than Tabor at this point at CB. Here's something I didn't think I'd say, but losing Cody Riggs was a killer. He gave up a play every now and then, but good God he was great compared to this bunch.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;n57254 said:
He already addressed this last night. Paraphrasing, he clearly say that in order to win games like that he Jeff Driskel needs to play. It's on rivals.

And as I sad last night, there's probably some merit to that. Starting a June -arrival true freshman in the SEC typically doesn't go well. For a guy that's trying to hang on for dear life, he's going to opt for the safe route. The 2003 Leak comparisons aren't really that similar. We made a push for the East in 2002, had a banner class and hadn't completely reached the point of giving up Zook. In effect, he was playing for next year. None of those factors are at play here.

Doesn't go well - Many true freshman have played college ball at a much higher level than Driskel has. He has had like 18 starts and has shown hardly anything but a few big runs in all of them.

LadyGator74

Sep 21, 2014
Thank you for addressing questions I gave been asking myself since last year. WTH is going on in practice that would cause coaches to believe that our best chance for being successful is with Driskel? I have spent this morning reading every article I could find on yesterday's game including the tweets of several past Gators in the NFL. With minute exception, the overriding consensus is that Driskel needs to be benched. Is it perhaps that we did not learn the lesson last year when Driskel went down and out for the season and our back up QBs were not prepared, so here we are in the same situation now? Our head coach is paid handsomely for his expertise--and yes, it is presumed he possesses just that. It's not just posters on message boards calling for change--people with far broader based football acumen are saying that there is no noticeable difference in Driskel's ability to effectively play the QB position from last year to present time. We all had such great hopes that Muschamp had changed, learned his lesson, swallowed his pride from last year's nightmare of a season. It appears now that Stubbornness is still much too great a friend of Stupidity...

The Original DC

Founding Member
Postradamus
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n57215 said:
I think Driskel being a starter with all the different OCs just shows its Muschamp promising him the job. Evidently Muschamp must have told him it was his job once Brantley was gone to keep him as a recruit when he first hired on. Nothing else can explain it when the kid hasn't shown any ability to be a decent SEC QB in about 18 starts now. I watched enough of Duke last season to know that this isn't how Roper wants to run his offense.

You know, I don't think it would bother Driskel one bit to lose his starting job. I think he gets so wound tight, so uncomfortable during games, that deep down, he'd be totally fine letting someone else deal with the qb duties at Florida. Maybe that's overly harsh, but I think he's simply missing the testicular fortitude to be a qb at Florida.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Muschamp hasn't brought in any more talent at the qb position untill last year and has let 3 transfer. He's recruited about 30 dbs and only one can cover anybody.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
The Original DC said:
Gator Fever;n57215 said:

You know, I don't think it would bother Driskel one bit to lose his starting job. I think he gets so wound tight, so uncomfortable during games, that deep down, he'd be totally fine letting someone else deal with the qb duties at Florida. Maybe that's overly harsh, but I think he's simply missing the testicular fortitude to be a qb at Florida.
Possibly - I would love to hear the conversation about Driskel between Roper and Muschamp after this game.

Instigator

Sep 6, 2014
I want to see Marcell Harris play. He was a headhunter in the spring game and seemed like a top performer. Anyone know why he isn't out there?

Can't be any worse than Maye

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Gator Fever;n57265 said:
Doesn't go well - Many true freshman have played college ball at a much higher level than Driskel has. He has had like 18 starts and has shown hardly anything but a few big runs in all of them.

And many more have completely flailed. Again, in an ideal situation, we aren't coming off of 4-8 and in a make or break season, and we could look to the obvious future. Even WR recruits talked about Harris' passes in week one because that's a guy they might be playing with. But that's not the case. An embattled coach is going to take what he sees as the lesser of two evils.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator