Sgt. Carter or Charlie Strong

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Strong first. I really don't think Butch Jones is even close to being fired. He's improved recruiting and reloaded the coffers at UT. The fact that he can't coach a lick doesn't matter - he's bought himself at least this year and will almost certainly be brought back next year.

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n291051 said:
Strong first. I really don't think Butch Jones is even close to being fired. He's improved recruiting and reloaded the coffers at UT. The fact that he can't coach a lick doesn't matter - he's bought himself at least this year and will almost certainly be brought back next year.

Ho​pefully.

​

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
Charlie. Everything's bigger in Texas, even expectations.

L-boy

BANNED
Oct 16, 2014
I never thought of Strong as a great gameday or X's and O's coach. He was good, not great. What he was was an incredible recruiter. Even Zook, who was an excellent recruiter, raved about how good Strong was. I think half of what made Strong good was his recruiting ties in FL. Hell he was even able to exploit those ties in Louisville. That probably didn't carry that easily to TX and he had to start from scratch, and they are willing to wait around 5-8 years for him to establish great recruiting ties.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
L-boy;n291096 said:
I never thought of Strong as a great gameday or X's and O's coach. He was good, not great. What he was was an incredible recruiter. Even Zook, who was an excellent recruiter, raved about how good Strong was. I think half of what made Strong good was his recruiting ties in FL. Hell he was even able to exploit those ties in Louisville. That probably didn't carry that easily to TX and he had to start from scratch, and they are willing to wait around 5-8 years for him to establish great recruiting ties.

He's a darker, more professional, much more likable version of WM. He's a defensive guy that doesn't have a clue on the offensive side of the ball and obviously hasn't recruited that side worth a damn, either. He got lucky at Louisville with Bridgewater behind center. If you're gonna hire a guy like that, you pretty much better make sure they are bringing a great OC with them and put it in the contract that they come and go together. :lol:

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I was thinking about Tennessee today I think them firing Jones would be even better than keeping him. Like it or not, they were very close (like 2 feet) from beating us in the Swamp. I know that we seem to be rising and hopefully we'll continue to beat them, increasing the margin of victory as well as program and team quality gaps, but this year could have very easily (read: should have) been different. I don't know who they could hire that could come in and turn that team around. They screwed up firing Phil and I don't think they'll ever again consistently win. I think regular turnover could be as bad for them as retaining Jones.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
PatDooleySucks;290692 said:
Vols can't afford to fire botch. seriously.

This.

Texas has money and money gives you options.

Tennessee's maxed out their credit cards and about to start kiting checks.

Alex.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Charlie.

Now for entertainment, listening to that inbred tub of **** BigVolDaddy whine is priceless. That fanbase talked the most **** of any in the country all off-season, and now they are dining on another **** sandwich. Awesome.

L-boy

BANNED
Oct 16, 2014
MJMGator;n291101 said:
He's a darker, more professional, much more likable version of WM. He's a defensive guy that doesn't have a clue on the offensive side of the ball and obviously hasn't recruited that side worth a damn, either. He got lucky at Louisville with Bridgewater behind center. If you're gonna hire a guy like that, you pretty much better make sure they are bringing a great OC with them and put it in the contract that they come and go together. :lol:

For years it seemed like the best coaches were generally D coordinators. Jimmy Johnson. Saban. Parcells in pro. etc. Defense wins championships. Yada Yada.

Now it seems like it is much better to have an offensive coach, because changing the offensive scheme with each new coordinator is much more difficult than tweaking the defensive scheme for new coordinators.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
You just gotta have a defensive minded coach that is smart enough to know how important it is to be able to score points. WM and CS appear to have ignored that side of the ball...to their demise.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Strong will be fired first. Texas can afford it more than UT.

PastyStoole

Founding Member
Man, there's no boundary line to art. ~Bird Parker
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n290734 said:
There are any number of billionaires who will step up and write all or most of that check.
You may be right, but billionaires don't like to write checks for other people's mistakes any more than you and I do. They almost always want something tangibly positive in return. Texas' biggest booster is Joe Jamail, Jr. He's donated $30million to the school, but it's been over a long period of time. He also got a lot for his money: His name on the football stadium, his name on the swimming facility, and - this is almost unbelievable - two bronze statues of himself on campus, one of them inside the football stadium. You're gonna need to give this dude more than a fired coach for the $20million he'd need to pony up.

And you surely won't get that money from Red McCombs. After back-peddling on the oft-interpreted-as-racist comments he made about Strong at the time of his hire, McCombs would look like an idiot paying for his dismissal as much as the AD would look like an idiot asking him to pay for it.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I have a friend out here who works for the Longhorn Network.. he said Charlie could lose every game this year and will still be back... they aren't firing him after 2 years. I think they realize some of these problems aren't his. I have to think the guy who is on TV for Longhorn Network knows more than I do, but I wonder, because this Texas team is falling apart fast!

https://247sports.com/Bolt/Haines-w...il&utm_term=0_b5300ae947-2776add97c-225071769

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
How could Texas see what Mac is doing here and not wish they had McElwain ? The state of Texas is
more intense than Florida in "pushing" kids to excel at football. Texas universities should always be
near the Top-15.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Both get another year, and Strong's seat is medium warm by end of next season. I want him to do well, but he will only show moderate improvement, if any, over this year's record. TX will have a quicker trigger in that sense. TN will keep feeding more rope to Butch through this year and the next. Yes, he will continue to disappoint next year as they lose games they shouldn't, mostly due to coaching, but the alumni will be too afraid of what they can replace him with. The evil they know will outlast Strong at Texas. But both get this year and (most of) next year.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I don't think strong is gonna survive the season. Once Texas finds a new ad, they'll be looking for a new coach. They're1-5 and Oklahoma is fixing to curb stomp em. But Charlie will bounce back. There's gonna be some good coordinator positions available this off season.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;292031 said:
I don't think strong is gonna survive the season. Once Texas finds a new ad, they'll be looking for a new coach. They're1-5 and Oklahoma is fixing to curb stomp em. But Charlie will bounce back. There's gonna be some good coordinator positions available this off season.
That's who he is and who he should be. Know your self, nothing wrong with being a lifelong DC, he's a great one and should stick with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
There isn't a person alive who could fix Texas in under 5 years time. They really let the world pass them by when they ran TAMU, UN, and Mizzou off. Now they are having to battle Baylor, TCU, TTU and OU for the remaining recruits who don't want to play in the SEC...

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator