Shane Matthew’s Podcast: the Gators suck

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
I now expect a 2-win season. When Mathews speaks, I perk up and listen.

None of us have the slightest idea what to expect from this particular team. I remember thinking Cam Newton was absolutely awful when he scrimmaged.

As I recall, Cam couldn’t run or pass. He was nothing akin to what he became after dropping his Gator career out the window, hitting bottom and getting serious.

I was in the Gainesville-Ocala media market 2003-2014. Shane was/is generally arrogant, negative and develops lasting grudges easily. He didn’t like Meyer, either. He appears to me to resent that he’s not a bigger deal than he is. Smug. Cocky. Very different vibe from Danny who is all about serving and encouraging others.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
I said when he was first hired that I wouldnt be surprised to have a 6-6 or 7-5 type year. Saban went 6-6 and lost at home to La Monroe in year 1. Then went undefeated and played us tough in the SEC champ game in year 2.

Nape's a builder. Be patient.

I agree, unless AR proves to be a phenom. Not confident the guy can stay healthy though. If napier recruits as well as expected, then we'll be fine from year 2 on.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
AR clearly the better QB. Shane Matthews is seeking some attention

Yeah, not sure last night could’ve gone any worse for him. AR is clearly the QB, Lingard looked the best at RB, and worst of all, the team wearing all orange(his wardrobe of choice) got blanked 34-0. Just devastating.

fischerwood

Wake me when we fix this mess
Sep 5, 2014
Shane mathews also said will muschamp had the best coaching staff ever assembled at UF. I love him but he's an idiot
Charles Byron Pell had the best coaching staff @ UF bar none...to wit: Mike Shanahan OC, Mike Heimerdinger, DB, Dwight Adams DC/ DL, Joe Kines LB, Galen Hall who replaced Shanahan...GO GATORS...:jog:

Bushmaster

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
Buddy of mine from back home was there. Said AR looked great, DR not so much. Thinks we will have a tough season though as all the pieces aren't there.

Buddy is a realist and knows football. He won 3 straight state titles and 46 straight games on the team his dad coached.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Charles Byron Pell had the best coaching staff @ UF bar none...to wit: Mike Shanahan OC, Mike Heimerdinger, DB, Dwight Adams DC/ DL, Joe Kines LB, Galen Hall who replaced Shanahan...GO GATORS...:jog:

That’s a good list, and I don’t want to derail this awesome thread, but Meyer, Strong, Mattison, Holiday, Heater and Mullen is pretty tough to beat. If you include Daz(who, ftr, I’m not claiming to be great), you have 5 coaches who went on to be head coaches. I think they’re in the discussion.

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
That’s a good list, and I don’t want to derail this awesome thread, but Meyer, Strong, Mattison, Holiday, Heater and Mullen is pretty tough to beat. If you include Daz(who, ftr, I’m not claiming to be great), you have 5 coaches who went on to be head coaches. I think they’re in the discussion.

He also had Loeffler after Dan left who became a head coach. F Addazio, but that dude did well when he focused on the line. He also had Dan McCarney in 2009 with a lot of those guys who had been a head coach.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018

Pell not only had an awesome staff...He almost single handely brought UF...Boosters, Facilities, Image to the upper tier.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Am I the only one who chuckles every time at a game when they introduce the “dazzlers?”

I’m mainly just concerned from year to year that they’ll still look like the dazzlers I’ve always known. Each opener, I find myself doing this…

cbd59c9f8b3a10e4c0999bdcc19d5cbc.gif

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
Meh, give me Grossman any day.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
Did he even complete a pass that first spring? He and Franks had terrible first spring games.

Don't get me started on Frank's...yet we all saw Trask...WE the, Gator Faithful, ALL could see it.

That was one of the main things I loved about SOS...see how long you played throwing like Frank's?

Danny W can tell ya.

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
Coach has said the same thing in a pressers recently about lack of depth across the board and needing to be aggressive in the portal, but he said it in a much nicer way than Shane. We've been complaining about it for the last 8 years across multiple coaching staffs. Our recruiting has sucked, especially in the trenches, for a while and we are coming off a sub .500 season. We got Hev specials blocking, muLLLLLLen receivers who are better at blocking than route running and beyond Dexter, a weak DL. And there have been plenty of practice reports talking about Johnson running people over.

Im not a fan of Shane these days but I dont think he is saying anything very controversial, just seems like he is saying it in a controversial way.

Well, facts are facts, and we do have a pretty deep hole to dig ourselves out of, talent-wise. But I would expect that having his face plastered all over the post office wall, plus a little stretch in the old stoney lonesome, didn't do a whole lot to sweeten Shane's disposition or to refine his people skills. Just sayin.'

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator