Should SEC do away with divisions?

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I don't think so. A team in the same division already had their chance and you don't get too many rematches in the game which is a good thing imo. I think there has only been 6 rematches in the SECCG and only one rematch in the past 11 years.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I like the divisions. Just wish they would swap Auburn and Mizzou, then go to a 9 game slate.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
I dont but UGA has had it easy. We play hafazzzU each year along with UT UGA and LSU. Their rival (as opposed to FSU) is GaTech. But Misery does not belong in our division. That was dumb,

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I like the divisions. Just wish they would swap Auburn and Mizzou, then go to a 9 game slate.
:exactly: It was well before my time but I understand that Auburn used to be considered as big of a rival as UGA??? Then again that would give us 4 rivalry games every year....5 if we kept LSU, kinda.

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
Missouri makes no sense in the Eastern Division. As the article alludes to, if Auburn were to move to the East then Alabama would not be able to play Tennessee every year. Why does that matter? Breaking up the yearly Alabama - Tennessee rivalry for Vol and Tide fans would be like breaking up the Florida - Georgia rivalry to Gator and Bulldog fans.

On the other hand, having Auburn in the Eastern Division would restore some historic rivalries like Auburn - Tennessee and Auburn - Florida. People outside of the SEC don't appreciate the history of those two games.

Missouri in the West would create more interesting match-ups for them with Arkansas, Texas A&M, LSU, and the Mississippi schools. Arkansas and Missouri would seem to be a natural rivalry. They are north - south border states. They never played each other very much, I think only a few times, because they were in different conferences -- Mizzou in the Big Eight and Arkansas in the Southwest Conference. If I remember right, I think there might have been some bad blood between the two. Frank Broyles, the long-time Arkansas coach and athletic director coached at Missouri a short time before going to Fayetteville. Broyles had a connection the Gators. He coached one year at Florida on the staff of Bob Woodruff. He also coached on a great staff that Bobby Dodd put together at Georgia Tech that included Ray Graves.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
There have been SEC CGs where us spectators believed we could be watching the NC Game early.
I do think that SEC-officials could swap around an East team with a West team.??

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
Not no...but hell no! The SEC is great just like it is and anyone pushing this bullsh*t has an "agenda" to either destroy the conference or swing it in they're favor. To be honest...I think Saban/Alabama is behind this nonsense. Saban knows teams like UF/UGA are on the rise and will be a serious threat to them in SEC champ game in the near future. He's a dirty SOB who will stop a nothing to get what he wants and I believe this is latest ploy to swing everything into his favor. He's already tried several tactics (like trying to get the NCAA to enforce rules against hurry up offense's ) so why not try this???

Last edited:

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Hell, if Texas wasn't such a bunch of *******$ I'd say let them and Okie buy their way into the fray and go with a 10 game conference schedule....Can you image the TV revenue and historical match ups on a weekly basis??? We'd be a conference with weekly NC caliber games happening simultaneously :lol2:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, once Okie and Okie State arrive then it will all be fine.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
I'm good with going back to no divisions. Never liked it when we went to them. The biggest argument against divisions is the years that one division is incredibly week as the East has been for years. And honestly going forward that's how it's usually going to be. Alabama/Auburn/LSU are going to be stronger than UF/UGA every year just making the West stronger every year. It was an embarrassment not only for us but for the entire SEC that we were in the SEC championship game last year.

I would scrap USC as a permanent opponent for us and add either Auburn or LSU. USC no longer holds any significance for us. Auburn goes back years as in the first 53 years we couldn't win the SEC with Georgia/Auburn back to back. LSU has turned into one hell of a rivalry and we've played them for 45 years straight.

Yankeetown

Gator MBA '84
Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2014
I'm good with going back to no divisions. Never liked it when we went to them. The biggest argument against divisions is the years that one division is incredibly week as the East has been for years. And honestly going forward that's how it's usually going to be. Alabama/Auburn/LSU are going to be stronger than UF/UGA every year just making the West stronger every year. It was an embarrassment not only for us but for the entire SEC that we were in the SEC championship game last year.

(1) There is no inherent reason that "Alabama/Auburn/LSU are going to be stronger than UF/UGA every year." That has a lot to do with the coaches in each place, and none are a fixture forever. (Even Bear Bryant is gone.) Florida certainly produces more D-I quality high school football players every year than any other state in the SEC, more than Alabama or Louisiana. (Texas is arguably close.) Georgia is a relatively populous state.

(2) In the absence of divisions, Florida STILL would have been in the SEC Championship game last year. Alabama and UF were the only two teams with a 7-1 conference record. Ole Miss was 6-2 and several had 5 wins.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
(1) There is no inherent reason that "Alabama/Auburn/LSU are going to be stronger than UF/UGA every year." That has a lot to do with the coaches in each place, and none are a fixture forever. (Even Bear Bryant is gone.) Florida certainly produces more D-I quality high school football players every year than any other state in the SEC, more than Alabama or Louisiana. (Texas is arguably close.) Georgia is a relatively populous state.

(2) In the absence of divisions, Florida STILL would have been in the SEC Championship game last year. Alabama and UF were the only two teams with a 7-1 conference record. Ole Miss was 6-2 and several had 5 wins.

Coaching has something to do with success? Success has something to do with the coaching you get also.
Historically the best teams in the conference have been Alabama/Auburn/LSU in the West and UF/UGA in the East. That's not debatable. The West's also-ran's are considerably better than our's also. We have Kentucky and Vandy.

Would we have been in the championship game had we not played an East division weighted schedule? I think that's the point. Having divisions adds nothing of value in reality. Arguably, it's a poorer way to choose a conference champion.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Wait, doesn't no divisions mean we often would have no reason to have an SEC CG ?
That is, if no team tied the top team's record, then one team would stand alone over all the other teams.
In that case how would there be a required CG ?

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Wait, doesn't no divisions mean we often would have no reason to have an SEC CG ?
That is, if no team tied the top team's record, then one team would stand alone over all the other teams.
In that case how would there be a required CG ?
#1 play #2 was the proposal in the article.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Whatever dude. You still azzhurt about Mizzu instead of whatever trash school you thought would be taken (WVU or whomever)?

I'm not saying they WILL come, I'm saying they are the plan. Actually Okie is the plan and Okie State is part of the package. We're not sitting on a weird number just because we love the number 14.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator