Simone Biles

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I propose a hard fast rule curtailing use of the word "GOAT" to no more than 4 times in any given thread. Anyone who carelessly and willfully exceeds this number should face a minimum 6 month ban.

I also propose we support a one month limit on going steady. I think it would keep people more able to deal with weird situations. And get to know more people.

G. Gordon Gator

Intrepid Chauvinist
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2018
In gymnastics, if J dances really pretty on a matt, they will give him points. Then if GGG dances prettier the judges might or might not give him more points.
"IF" GGG dances prettier?? Ain't no if about it, son!

Now stand back while I cut this rug.

so_maybe_white_people_can_actually_dance_after_all_14.gif

G. Gordon Gator

Intrepid Chauvinist
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2018
I propose a hard fast rule curtailing use of the word "GOAT" to no more than 4 times in any given thread. Anyone who carelessly and willfully exceeds this number should face a minimum 6 month ban.

I also propose we support a one month limit on going steady. I think it would keep people more able to deal with weird situations. And get to know more people.
In that case I better get in quick before the rule is instated.

GOAT Pop Tart flavor, if we're talking the basic classics:

s-l300.jpg

If we're opening it up to the limited-edition specials:

61QEfJ9040L._SY300_QL70_ML2_.jpg

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

Now we know Sofla is a Nada Surfer fan.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I havent read all the posts in this thread, but given the general tilt of this board these days I am not surprised with what I have read. The question comes down to when she started having these issues. If she showed up in Tokyo with the twisties, then she should have pulled out and had them use the alternates. If she showed up to the finals and had the twisties then she absolutely should have pulled out.

Pulling out is not a very manly thing to do

Unless you have competed high level gymnastics or have been close to someone who has, you have no ideal how dangerous this sport is. If Brady or Jordan have an off day,they are not concerned with death or paralysis. If Simone loses her orientation doing a triple flip while spinning twice she can very easily land on her head or neck leading to paralysis or death. This has happened as recently as last year with a college gymnast. Nothing to do with being weak or whatever.

Same argument almost word for word as said by the NBC commentators this morning.

CU-UF

Meh
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Getting the twisties is like getting the yips with putting. For whatever reason something that was once muscle memory becomes forgotten and then you're in trouble.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
This is the type of honest, meat-'n-potatas analysis we've all been waiting for. Thank you, alcoholica. I, for one, am tired of all the latent racists on this board. Let's turn 'latent' into 'blatant.' While we're at it let's revive the lost sciences of eugenics and craniometry. Let's make it happen folks.
As always, a very well crafted post. And I do mean that. However, not once in your response do you ever deny the validity to the statement. You just quickly went to calling racist, which is in itself the first signal of defeat.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I like in the track events/sprints when the favorite knows he's about to get beat he reaches back for his hamstring, "Ooooo....my hammy!"

Most embarrassing one was Michael Johnson in that special one on one event against the 100 meter champ in 1996. Dude got beat out of the blocks, and 50 meters in was grabbing that hamstring..

I propose we show our work.

here’s Tebow about to score the game winning TD and the opposing holds onto his blocker so he doesn’t get trucked. He didn’t even try

G. Gordon Gator

Intrepid Chauvinist
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2018
Getting the twisties is like getting the yips with putting. For whatever reason something that was once muscle memory becomes forgotten and then you're in trouble.
See that, @TheDouglas78? All that carrying on like a gymnastics expert, and it turns out you were misapplying a golf term, "yips," to the sport. :shakehead:

Now that we have someone here who really IS a bona boner fide aficionado of prepubescent-looking girls in leotards doing flips and tumbles, we know the proper term is twisties. :exactly:

DocZaius

Founding Member
Return to Monke
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member

I haven't seen where Biles has said this was the problem. A lot of people (including famous gymnasts) are making that excuse for her on Twitter, but here are all her own words: Biles in her own words: mental health and stress at Tokyo Olympics

The closest she has come to saying she's afraid she'll get hurt is: "No injury, thankfully. That's why I took a step back, because I didn't want to do something silly out there and get injured."

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I propose we show our work.

here’s Tebow about to score the game winning TD and the opposing holds onto his blocker so he doesn’t get trucked. He didn’t even try

Number 31. Now that guy got the yips. In fact he wasn't terribly far from getting a full blown case of the twisties. Mess you up.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The fcking Olympics is suppose to be about PRESSURE!. Damn handling pressure is 50% of it. You are going out in front of millions of people to prove you are the best in the world. If you shy from pressure maybe you should try a different profession.

Good thing Nalt wasnt the one counting.... otherwise, he would have claimed a thousand bajillion

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
I havent read all the posts in this thread, but given the general tilt of this board these days I am not surprised with what I have read. The question comes down to when she started having these issues. If she showed up in Tokyo with the twisties, then she should have pulled out and had them use the alternates. If she showed up to the finals and had the twisties then she absolutely should have pulled out.

Unless you have competed high level gymnastics or have been close to someone who has, you have no ideal how dangerous this sport is. If Brady or Jordan have an off day,they are not concerned with death or paralysis. If Simone loses her orientation doing a triple flip while spinning twice she can very easily land on her head or neck leading to paralysis or death. This has happened as recently as last year with a college gymnast. Nothing to do with being weak or whatever.

What's the point of that first sentence? Do you think if you took an opinion of....say....100 people that it wouldn't be a 50-50 split with one half have the same opinion? I have no axe to grind with this young lady nor do I necessarily disagree with you assessment. It is dangerous for sure. But I take issue with your "general tilt of this board these days' comment. Maybe you'd care to elaborate further?

Spurffelbow833

Supporting Member
Jun 23, 2020
Ive already had my say on this over in the Olympics thread. What she did was quit on her team, herself and her country. I was surprised when she withdrew from the individual all around competition...still waiting to hear if she will withdraw from the individual apparatus competition. The example she set for those first time olympians and kids idolizing her at home is pathetic. When the going gets tough, quit. I wonder if there will be any downside to this for her. I'd be shocked if there were.
Let me know when anyone who's signing a paycheck for her sings her praises.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
And we care because......?

First World Problems

This is our culture today...compare this to the Troops in the field...the First Responders

Sports are entertainment...ESPN can't grasp that

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator