Simone Biles

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
No problem. The tilt of this board is more interested in maintaining the general culture war/owning libs that is prevalent in most right-leaning circles, than actually having articulate or even in jest posts. Just go through several of these posts, you see plenty of memes and dog whistles about "woke", "snowflakes" etc. I have been a participant of this board and followed this board from its start on the gatorsports days (not donkey level participant) but it had gone from a true bar room type atmosphere where there were vigorous discussions about sports and games and good natured ribbing of posters based upon silly or misplaced comments, to every sports posts getting reduced to some version of "its all the libs fault", If you post an alternative point, youre immediately labeled a lib, libtard, woke, whatever. Its silly and tiring and ultimately is killing this board. Dont get me wrong, that's fine, this is Ox's board, he can do what he wants. Im not going to stop checking in, I might check in less, might post less. I'm not offended, if that's where the board goes, thats where it goes, but you asked me to elaborate. So....

As apposed to what?...Full Out Communist Too HOT...Gator County? Now that's balanced.

CU-UF

Meh
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
I haven't seen where Biles has said this was the problem. A lot of people (including famous gymnasts) are making that excuse for her on Twitter, but here are all her own words: Biles in her own words: mental health and stress at Tokyo Olympics

The closest she has come to saying she's afraid she'll get hurt is: "No injury, thankfully. That's why I took a step back, because I didn't want to do something silly out there and get injured."
She doesnt need to say it, anyone who has competed or coached high level gymnastics can see it clearly. She was supposed to compete a Cheng vault, (a 1.5 layout and 1.5 yurchenko) something that she has done forever without any issue. When she attempted it she obviously started the layout but lost herself on the yurchenko and broke form to land. Coaches recognize this as problems with air awareness. Someone who suddenly loses air awareness is someone who has the twisties

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
My take on this is that everybody deals with pressure. Pressure to perform. Whether it’s in school, work, sports, etc.…

To pull out at the most critical time of your performance - the most critical time when you’re needed - is crap IMO.

We all run into mental health issues. But to use it as a crutch is BS IMO.

Imagine if Tom Brady didn’t play in the Super Bowl because he was feeling pressure. Or Michael Jordan didn’t play in a game 7 because he was feeling pressure. Or a doctor didn’t perform a surgery because he was feeling pressure.

Jesus. We are so soft as a country.

When the people our children idolize are able to use pressure as an excuse to not perform or to back away from a challenge, it sends a horrible message to our youth. And it ill-prepares them for when they are on their own where quitting and excuses will cause them to lose jobs and crush their lives.

The problem with athletes that do this is that they don’t have real jobs. Once they reach a certain point in skill they are so coddled and doted upon that everybody will make up an excuse to protect them because of their potential.

We have a crisis in our country with weak minded youth.

PTSD - war survivors, assault survivors, Domestic abuse survivors - is a mental health crisis. Feeling pressure to perform is not.

Wait until they have to feed their families and they have a sales job.
damn, this might be the greatest post in GC history. I salute you sir!

Spurffelbow833

Supporting Member
Jun 23, 2020
There hasn't been a repeat Olympics gymnastics queen since 1968, when the elegant and truly stunning and brave Vera Caslavska of Czechoslovakia had to hide out in Mexico before the Olympics to avoid arrest for speaking out against the Soviet invasion of her country, then twice turned her head away on the medal podium when the Soviet anthem was played, sacrificing any remaining career in gymnastics. Then she went home a pariah and spent most of her life being ignored and forgotten, never getting a job in coaching until the last few years of her life. Anyone who wants to hand out praise for courage to a gymnast should start with her.

The grind and the constant pressure are simply too much for any one person to maintain focus long enough to do it twice. The pressure and the difficulty of the routines has only gotten steadily worse. Nadia couldn't do it. Mary Lou didn't even take a shot at it. Great as she was, Olga Korbut never did it even once. The next young lady that can pull it off twice, I'll put her in the GOAT conversation with Vera.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
damn, this might be the greatest post in GC history. I salute you sir!

More over the top adulation, again citing historical standing, despite little substance. It was a quality post. Nothing more.

And if J suddenly steps down as mod, it's pressure like this that will have contributed. Meanwhile they'll put aka or NV in there and won't skip a beat.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
More over the top adulation, again citing historical standing, despite little substance. It was a quality post. Nothing more.

And if J suddenly steps down as mod, it's pressure like this that will have contributed. Meanwhile they'll put aka or NV in there and won't skip a beat.

I don't know... I think J really elevated his game in this thread.
Pasty and J are carrying this one.

Much like what is pictured here...

6101a712f350d5001959772c

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I don't know... I think J really elevated his game in this thread.
Pasty and J are carrying this one.

Much like what is pictured here...

6101a712f350d5001959772c

All I see is an old guy with a spectacular mustache and what appears to be the kid that wanted to see Paul O'neill hit two home runs. I'm struggling to see the relevance here.

1329ede3-f9b7-4425-82f7-c1684166a876_screenshot.jpg

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
All I see is an old guy with a spectacular mustache and what appears to be the kid that wanted to see Paul O'neill hit two home runs. I'm struggling to see the relevance here.

1329ede3-f9b7-4425-82f7-c1684166a876_screenshot.jpg

I was going for the 'spectacular'... glad you noticed. His 'stache is legendary, as is his gentle and nurturing style of coaching.

love the O'Neill reference too.

DocZaius

Founding Member
Return to Monke
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
She doesnt need to say it, anyone who has competed or coached high level gymnastics can see it clearly. She was supposed to compete a Cheng vault, (a 1.5 layout and 1.5 yurchenko) something that she has done forever without any issue. When she attempted it she obviously started the layout but lost herself on the yurchenko and broke form to land. Coaches recognize this as problems with air awareness. Someone who suddenly loses air awareness is someone who has the twisties

Well, for those of us who have been completely uninvolved in high-level gymnastics, which I think is 99.99% of all people everywhere, don't you think she or her coaches or other representatives should be explaining this instead of the blue check mark crowd?

Because so far her statements have led me to believe her head's not in the game and she's half-way around the bend to woo-woo crazytown.

G. Gordon Gator

Intrepid Chauvinist
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2018
3d83583508227db096e47334fb87ab5d68a540bb_hq.gif

Don't look now but we gots a NEW GOAT in town!

When Team USA's ace bailed on her team and bowed out of the individual all-around, SOMEBODY ELSE stepped up.

SOMEBODY ELSE ate all that pressure and stress for Fuchsing LUNCH, and spit out perfection!

I haven't seen it but look forward to watching it on the prime time coverage tonight. In the meantime I'm going to go ahead and give the credit to better parenting.

I bet this guy liked it. That neighbor girl showed out! ;)

tumblr_ohwbtevAp51rfd7lko1_500.gif

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
3d83583508227db096e47334fb87ab5d68a540bb_hq.gif

Don't look now but we gots a NEW GOAT in town!

When Team USA's ace bailed on her team and bowed out of the individual all-around, SOMEBODY ELSE stepped up.

SOMEBODY ELSE ate all that pressure and stress for Fuchsing LUNCH, and spit out perfection!

I haven't seen it but look forward to watching it on the prime time coverage tonight. In the meantime I'm going to go ahead and give the credit to better parenting.

I bet this guy liked it. That neighbor girl showed out! ;)

tumblr_ohwbtevAp51rfd7lko1_500.gif

Correct.

The new GOAT had to overcome adversity such as not having an organization supporting her every move and attacking anyone that questioned anything she did.

Maybe someday we will realize that coddling people does not make them better.

NOLAGATOR

Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
Sure, but there's still a feeling of rejection when someone says they prefer the company of other message boards to your exclusive company. But if you're honest and direct and avoid making a flowery emotional speech when you break the news they'll respect you for your frankness. And honestly, they'll appreciate the kind of straight forward manner in which you told them your decision. Unless they're a real jerk or a cry baby.

And all I post is fact or opinion...neither can be disputed.

What I don't understand is if you disagree either block me, present your case or move on.

And when I say YOU...I mean anyone.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
And all I post is fact or opinion...neither can be disputed.

What I don't understand is if you disagree either block me, present your case or move on.

And when I say YOU...I mean anyone.

No argument from me. I bust your chops occasionally, but you're the star of the party in a lot of threads.

NOLAGATOR

Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
No argument from me. I bust your chops occasionally, but you're the star of the party in a lot of threads.

Brother...I generally like your posts and opinions...odd for me with someone from S.FL...not SW FL

CU-UF

Meh
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Well, for those of us who have been completely uninvolved in high-level gymnastics, which I think is 99.99% of all people everywhere, don't you think she or her coaches or other representatives should be explaining this instead of the blue check mark crowd?

Because so far her statements have led me to believe her head's not in the game and she's half-way around the bend to woo-woo crazytown.
Simone talks about getting twisties

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
If we see a person with a broken bone we think injury and give them a pass. But I remember when playing through minor injuries and pain and head aches was a sign of character. Then we learned. But we still believe mental illness is a sign of weakness, low character and a quitter. People kill themselves over the ****ttt that goes on in their head. This gal does unworldy things for a gal. Fckkk up on that stuff and she is fckkd up bad. She had nothing to prove. Only if she didnt get gold in everyrthing she tried she would be a failure. I know some POS molested her and some other gals and the adults in charge didnt protect her. Lifes a bchhhhh and now you have another beocchhh to bccch about.........color me unfckn surprised.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator