So it's Treon's fault?

Doopree

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
After going through this bullsh*t with Driskel and now Treon, it's getting pretty old watching these bums not get rid of the ball.

Swamped Gator

Sep 17, 2014
GatorJ;n299485 said:
I am not sure why people keep comparing the two and complaining the Treon is not as good as Grier. First of all, offensive output wise, there wasn't a big difference. But bigger picture, Grier can't play. Nobody's preventing him from playing. He prevented himself. He chose to not play. Harris is giving his all. He's not turning the ball over. He's scoring TD. What more do you guys want?

Exactly! I think the big question is can this coaching staff fix Treon's slow decision making? This is a brilliant offensive staff who had a great gameplan for him. We put up 28 points despite him not pulling the trigger on at least a dozen passes. None of the passes he refused to throw would be considered difficult passes, almost all of them were simply crossing patterns. He has two weeks to get this fixed and we all know the coaching staff is going to show him every single pass he missed. Treon is not Grier, we all know that. But this is the first time he actually has a good coaching staff helping him. He's not going to turn into a world beater over night but I fully expect to see improvement from him in two weeks.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Swamped Gator;n299541 said:
Exactly! I think the big question is can this coaching staff fix Treon's slow decision making? This is a brilliant offensive staff who had a great gameplan for him. We put up 28 points despite him not pulling the trigger on at least a dozen passes. None of the passes he refused to throw would be considered difficult passes, almost all of them were simply crossing patterns. He has two weeks to get this fixed and we all know the coaching staff is going to show him every single pass he missed. Treon is not Grier, we all know that. But this is the first time he actually has a good coaching staff helping him. He's not going to turn into a world beater over night but I fully expect to see improvement from him in two weeks.

Fix slow decision making? Ouch. That probably will never happen. He's a one read guy IMHO. That said you can create a gameplan around that. But don't expect miracles.

Swamped Gator

Sep 17, 2014
T REX;n299578 said:
Fix slow decision making? Ouch. That probably will never happen. He's a one read guy IMHO. That said you can create a gameplan around that. But don't expect miracles.

I'm not saying it will happen, but it seems that he's hesitating more than anything. We've seen tons of QB's speed up their decision making after solid coaching and in game experience. At least it's not like he's having to do a crazy miracle job of reading the defense and have some complex scheme. He's not throwing the ball to open receivers in crossing routes. I feel confident that "if" it can be fixed, Coach Mac will get it done. I think we will know a lot more when we play UGA. I think Coach Mac is going to be a very good coach coming off a bye week. We'll see if he can get Treon to improve a little bit.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Swamped Gator;299582 said:
I'm not saying it will happen, but it seems that he's hesitating more than anything. We've seen tons of QB's speed up their decision making after solid coaching and in game experience. At least it's not like he's having to do a crazy miracle job of reading the defense and have some complex scheme. He's not throwing the ball to open receivers in crossing routes. I feel confident that "if" it can be fixed, Coach Mac will get it done. I think we will know a lot more when we play UGA. I think Coach Mac is going to be a very good coach coming off a bye week. We'll see if he can get Treon to improve a little bit.

Mariotta comes to mind. Not saying Harris is anything like him. Just saying that he had issues as a freshman and sophomore.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Swamped Gator;n299582 said:

Even a little bit would be a huge improvement.

L-boy

BANNED
Oct 16, 2014
Bernardo de la Paz;n299539 said:
Treon doesn’t throw it as well as Grier. We knew that going in. There’s a reason that Grier had been playing instead of Treon.

That said, there are things that Treon does better than Grier. Grier gets a little rattled in games when he gets hit a few times and he starts giving up on plays and scrambling too early. Treon does a much better job of maintaining his composure and also of keeping his eyes downfield even when he does start to scramble.

Sometimes Treon hesitates when you want him to throw the ball. Some here want to chalk that up to him not making quick enough decisions and not seeing the open man. Sure, he isn’t great at this point with his progressions, but I think a lot of those times he sees the open man, knows where the ball should go, and also knows that he might not be able to make the throw. He looks like he recognizes his limitations as a passer – he doesn’t have the quick release or arm strength of Grier – and he knows that the game plan calls for him to manage the game, not turn it over, and let the defense do their thing.

The reality is that Treon played just about as well as he is able to. It was good enough to win the game if the defense had also played as well as they are able to. If he continues to play as well as he’s able to along with the rest of the team we’ll be playing in Atlanta. And there isn’t a team in the west that we can’t beat.

This 100%,

Swamped Gator

Sep 17, 2014
GatorJ;n299585 said:
Mariotta comes to mind. Not saying Harris is anything like him. Just saying that he had issues as a freshman and sophomore.

Regardless of whether or not he improves, at least for a change we know it won't be for lack of coaching.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Bernardo de la Paz;n299539 said:
And there isn’t a team in the west that we can’t beat.

Great post Bernie, but I'm not sure I agree with you on this last comment. I think Bama will beat LSU because their offense and defense are both better than LSU's. The game (assuming we make it) will be on a neutral field, but Bama doesn't have any true Freshmen starting on their lines and they will man handle our O-Line worse than LSU did. It'll be great to make it back to Atlanta, but this isn't our year to win it. Not with our young O-Line and Treon as our QB unless the coaches pull some kind of miracle between now and then and somehow get the O-Line and Treon playing at a much higher level than they are right now. We just aren't a top 4 team yet. YET!

Gatormac2112

The Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Sep 7, 2014
Its not Treon's fault, he gave us a chance to win and made some big plays in the game. However, he held on to the ball FOREVER when there were open receivers, sometimes multiple open receivers to throw to. Even if it was his first read, he would hesitate long enough for the defender to close the window, then have to improvise. That has got to change, there is no way you can sustain an offense on scramble drill: why do you think Tim Tebow is out of the NFL?

We may get to Atlanta irregardless if we can beat UGA, but for us to ever be a true contender the offense needs to be more consistent and methodical. Chaotic scrambling passes for big gains is not something you can hang your hat on, and thats all we had last night.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
What happens from here on out when opposing DCs realize all their DLs have to do is raise up their arms to
shut down our passing game. Or can we thrive on rollout ad libs ?

the_alphagator1906

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
rogdochar;n299705 said:
What happens from here on out when opposing DCs realize all their DLs have to do is raise up their arms to
shut down our passing game. Or can we thrive on rollout ad libs ?

What are you talking about? He only had the ball batted down one time last game. Way better than in the past. It was almost night and day in fact. Plus, JD (a much taller and stronger armed QB) would always get his passes batted down. I know you were trying to be funny but that just didn't hit that time. Try again next time buddy.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
the_alphagator1906;n299710 said:
What are you talking about? He only had the ball batted down one time last game. Way better than in the past. It was almost night and day in fact. Plus, JD (a much taller and stronger armed QB) would always get his passes batted down. I know you were trying to be funny but that just didn't hit that time. Try again next time buddy.

I don't think he's talking about batting balls down. I think he means if they just stand there and hold up their hands, Treon can't see what the hell is going on in front of him. He's pretty short for a Div 1 QB. Taller than me for sure, but just about everyone else on the field is like 3-4 inches taller than him or more.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
NavetG8r;n299725 said:
I don't think he's talking about batting balls down. I think he means if they just stand there and hold up their hands, Treon can't see what the hell is going on in front of him. He's pretty short for a Div 1 QB. Taller than me for sure, but just about everyone else on the field is like 3-4 inches taller than him or more.

Geez, that's not funny at all. :nerd:

Floridagator

Founding Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
Swamped Gator;n299048 said:
If I told you we would lose by only 7 points at LSU this year with our backup QB I think everyone would have taken it. Treon is the backup QB, he's NOT supposed to come in and be better than Grier. The kid did enough to keep us in the game the entire night.

Why aren't you whining about the first half defense?

Why aren't you whining about the first team quarterback that screwed his entire team by making a dumb decision?

The East is still wtihin our grasp. We can beat everyone else left on our schedule. Let's get over this and move on to the next game. Mac has us way ahead of schedule already. I'm proud of this team and it's still great to be a Florida Gator!

Treon is not the backup. He is the starter from that game on. No more excuses. He has started more games than Grier. To short hop 3 balls in a row on the critical drive is buckling under pressure. At this level he has to make at least 30% doesn't he?
all that being said, I'm thinking we will see bammer in Atlanta if we can finish business. LSU, we made them look good. Saban will win that game.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Figured this might fit in a TH discussion:

2. Treon Harris’ LSU box score was better than Will Grier’s road numbers: The suspension of UF QB Will Grier caused the betting lines to move in LSU’s favor, and most people said it hurt Florida’s chance of winning at Death Valley, but QB Treon Harris came away with a road box score (17-of-32, 271 yards, 2 TDs) better than Grier’s numbers at Kentucky (13-of-22, 125 yards, INT) and at Missouri (20-of-33, 208 yards). There are a number of factors when comparing the stats – such as game plan, experience and opposing defenses – but Harris’ stat line should be a pleasant surprise to the Florida faithful.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Surely, we can, at this point, we can see coach Mac building better on that "using Treon" as our dialed-in QB ?
Receivers will be more ready for Treon's passing rhythm.and attuned to Treon's receiver-needs for his scrambles.

Swamped Gator

Sep 17, 2014
rogdochar;n301247 said:
Surely, we can, at this point, we can see coach Mac building better on that "using Treon" as our dialed-in QB ?
Receivers will be more ready for Treon's passing rhythm.and attuned to Treon's receiver-needs for his scrambles.

We will know much more next weekend. We know we will have an awesome gameplan and we know Coach Mac is going to coach the heck out of Treon during these two weeks. Let's see what kind of improvement we see from him. Honestly, as long as he at least takes care of the football again we will be in a great position to win the game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator