So it's Treon's fault?

L-boy

BANNED
Oct 16, 2014
Captain Sasquatch;n299368 said:
Looked to me like he had the ball tucked in his stomach firmly before he flipped over.

I think one way or other part of his body was touching the sideline before he had possession.

The threshold to confirm a call is pretty high. They could have easily let the call on the field stand, but they confirmed it.

Trust me, before they replayed the whole thing, I was screaming at the TV for the Refs to review the call before the snap went off. My kids thought I had gone insane. I thought it was clearly a turnover, until I saw all angles.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
L-boy;n299388 said:
I agree with this.

Let me preface what I am about to say that I would rather have Grier in their than Treon, But to those who feel so sure we would have won the game with Grier in there, in the words of the ever bumbling Lee Corso, not so fast my friend:

- Grier has never thrown for 272 yds
- Treon lead the offense to 4 scores (yes, one with a big assist)
- Grier has thrown 3 pics this year. Treon has Zero.
- The offense with Grier in there last week produced zero points in quarters 2-4, so it isn't a given he is consistently lighting it up all the time

How is this possible? As Cap Sas says above, sometimes Treon throws up what appear to be desperation passes down the field, and sometimes because they way they float up there, they are caught. They are by no means things of beauty (although that one where he rolled left and completed to Calloway down the field was nice ) they are catchable. Grier rarely throws balls like that. He rarely completes the very long pass.

So while Treon's passes were sometimes ugly, they aren't passes likely completed by Grier, and thus Grier probably doesn't throw for 272 yds, and it is entirely plausible Grier forces one in there that gets picked and stops the drive cold.
He threw for 283 vs tenn and 271 vs ole miss

but that's not really the point...Grier makes decisions so much quicker than Harris and seems to have a better grasp at the line making calls. He also has run the 2 minute drill to near perfection all year. We may not have won with Grier in there (can't even remotely come close to knowing how that would have played out) but i have no doubt our offense would have been more productive. We had 2 TD on offense...that's it for 4 quarters. Punt return and muffed punt makes it look like our offense did better than it did.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
-THE DUDE-;n299425 said:

but that's not really the point...Grier makes decisions so much quicker than Harris
Too bad one of those quick decisions resulted in him being ineligible and thrusting Harris into the starting role. I'm sick of hearing about his dumbass until he's eligible to play. He's about as useful to this football team right now as I am.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Well downing that GNC Supertesta Powder was a quick decision.

We need to get over the Grier thing. He is gone.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I am not sure why people keep comparing the two and complaining the Treon is not as good as Grier. First of all, offensive output wise, there wasn't a big difference. But bigger picture, Grier can't play. Nobody's preventing him from playing. He prevented himself. He chose to not play. Harris is giving his all. He's not turning the ball over. He's scoring TD. What more do you guys want?

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Law98gator;n299447 said:
Well downing that GNC Supertesta Powder was a quick decision.

We need to get over the Grier thing. He is gone.

Same way we need to get over muschump and others as well as getting over the officiating. Cant change any of it but we still discuss it daily. Why is discussing grier and the possibilitys any different? I guess when some dont like the subject, it should be silenced.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
gatormandan;n299488 said:
Same way we need to get over muschump and others as well as getting over the officiating. Cant change any of it but we still discuss it daily. Why is discussing grier and the possibilitys any different? I guess when some dont like the subject, it should be silenced.

Might as well discuss how we'd be doing with Tebow or Wuerfel as our QB. Oh wait...they're not eligible to play anymore either.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
MJMGator;n299490 said:
Might as well discuss how we'd be doing with Tebow or Wuerfel as our QB. Oh wait...they're not eligible to play anymore either.

But 100 other subjects we have no control over are fine to discuss?

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator;n299490 said:

With this offensive line I'm going to go with Timmy. I've seen Danny hit enough for one lifetime.

lrtx1

Dec 2, 2014
What ifs and but ifs don't work. What I do know is that Treon left a lot of plays on the field through slow decisions and not seeing the whole field. Stats show Treon had a decent game but, there looked to be a whole lot more ready for the taking. Could Grier done any better? I don't know but, I would think he could have.

Doopree

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
I don't enjoy watching Treon lead this team. For me, Gator football won't be as much fun until we get Grier back.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Doopree;n299496 said:
I don't enjoy watching Treon lead this team. For me, Gator football won't be as much fun until we get Grier back.

But you cant say that here.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
gatormandan;n299488 said:
Why is discussing grier and the possibilitys any different?
Because it's always done in the spirit of disreprecting the guy who, despite his faults, did manage to avoid making himself ineligible.

I look forward to getting Grier back some day, but we can't fix it.

L-boy

BANNED
Oct 16, 2014
-THE DUDE-;n299425 said:

but that's not really the point...Grier makes decisions so much quicker than Harris and seems to have a better grasp at the line making calls. He also has run the 2 minute drill to near perfection all year. We may not have won with Grier in there (can't even remotely come close to knowing how that would have played out) but i have no doubt our offense would have been more productive. We had 2 TD on offense...that's it for 4 quarters. Punt return and muffed punt makes it look like our offense did better than it did.

My bad on the stats, but still, that is about what Treon did.

You can hypothetically guess that the offense would have been more productive with Grier, but that isn't based upon any history or recent stats. The offense also had a lot of help in our other wins. Only 2 TD's vs MO, and I think they had at least one vs Ole Miss.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n299502 said:
Because it's always done in the spirit of disreprecting the guy who, despite his faults, did manage to avoid making himself ineligible.
Barely. He's been suspended twice himself.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Law98gator;n299502 said:

I look forward to getting Grier back some day, but we can't fix it.

Hahahahaha you of all people worrying about disrespecting someone! Blasphemy! It only applies when you disagree? Ha...

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n299509 said:
Barely. He's been suspended twice himself.
And I would have also supporting Mac kicking him off the team last time. But Mac didn't. So he is our guy.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
gatormandan;n299510 said:
Hahahahaha you of all people worrying about disrespecting someone! Blasphemy! It only applies when you disagree? Ha...
Dude, I get it. You worship Grier. It's cool. I'm a big Grier fan too.

Why did you change your avatar?

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Law98gator;n299513 said:
Dude, I get it. You worship Grier. It's cool. I'm a big Grier fan too.

Why did you change your avatar?

I dont worship any person. I want Treon to win. I will cheer for him and hope he improves. Its still ok to compare or to feel like we could have done better under different circumstances even though they are out of our control. Very rarely if ever do I disrespect players unless discussing obvious short comings that need corrected. I changed my avatar until Griers suspension is up. Hopefully he plays for us again.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Treon doesn’t throw it as well as Grier. We knew that going in. There’s a reason that Grier had been playing instead of Treon.

That said, there are things that Treon does better than Grier. Grier gets a little rattled in games when he gets hit a few times and he starts giving up on plays and scrambling too early. Treon does a much better job of maintaining his composure and also of keeping his eyes downfield even when he does start to scramble.

Sometimes Treon hesitates when you want him to throw the ball. Some here want to chalk that up to him not making quick enough decisions and not seeing the open man. Sure, he isn’t great at this point with his progressions, but I think a lot of those times he sees the open man, knows where the ball should go, and also knows that he might not be able to make the throw. He looks like he recognizes his limitations as a passer – he doesn’t have the quick release or arm strength of Grier – and he knows that the game plan calls for him to manage the game, not turn it over, and let the defense do their thing.

The reality is that Treon played just about as well as he is able to. It was good enough to win the game if the defense had also played as well as they are able to. If he continues to play as well as he’s able to along with the rest of the team we’ll be playing in Atlanta. And there isn’t a team in the west that we can’t beat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.