So what's with all the "cupping"?

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I clicked on this thread thinking it might have something to do with breasts.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
what about that copper bracelet crap?
Just another gimmick that at best provides a placebo effect. Although, like silver, copper does have surface anti-bacterial qualities.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
1fdaac0e_Corbis-42-47236641.xxxlarge.jpg

:scratchchin:

Jenny On The Railroad

Founding Member
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
I know about cupping, I've written and tried to post twice, but it doesn't post. eff it. This is not what I would consider normal cupping. No need for it to look this way and leave marks that purple. It does work to relieve spasm and there are many other equally effective modalities that could be used. Same for pain. This is the toy du jour I guess being ramped up by Western minds resulting in cupping on steroids. Also, should not be used near inflammation. Traditional Chinese Medicine has occasions in which it is used. But then they also use certain linaments, etc that do similar things as far as soft tissue spasm.

Jenny On The Railroad

Founding Member
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
Just another gimmick that at best provides a placebo effect. Although, like silver, copper does have surface anti-bacterial qualities.
Not a placebo, but yes, gimmicky in this case. It brings blood into the area and that plus the warmth has several physiological effects. Maybe saves trainers hands and strength as they are dealing with very muscular people. However, there are lots of light touch and positional modalities that could do that. Someone got excited about someone else's toy so they have to have it..

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I know about cupping, I've written and tried to post twice, but it doesn't post. eff it. This is not what I would consider normal cupping. No need for it to look this way and leave marks that purple. It does work to relieve spasm and there are many other equally effective modalities that could be used. Same for pain. This is the toy du jour I guess being ramped up by Western minds resulting in cupping on steroids. Also, should not be used near inflammation. Traditional Chinese Medicine has occasions in which it is used. But then they also use certain linaments, etc that do similar things as far as soft tissue spasm.

I've found that when I suffer some type of rhumatic distress, I just snort a couple lines and I'm good to go. I used to rely on the old homeopathic burnt coffee ground enema and pussy willow vapors with the hot stone treatment or an occasional gall bladder from a koala bear soaked in fish urine but they've gotten rather pricey.

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
It falls into the "can't hurt" category. They could do the Hokey Pokey before each swim if they thought it could help but it would provide the exact same medical result.
It's the placebo effect. Same with the nose nasal "openers", and those ridiculous duct tape looking strips on the thighs, knees, whereever, and the grunting on every swing in tennis. Even several of the softball pitchers --including one of ours -- grunts on every pitch. Monica Seles started that nonsense, maybe that's why the guy stabbed her.

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Ah...so it was to keep the hands clean.....

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I've found that when I suffer some type of rhumatic distress, I just snort a couple lines and I'm good to go. I used to rely on the old homeopathic burnt coffee ground enema and pussy willow vapors with the hot stone treatment or an occasional gall bladder from a koala bear soaked in fish urine but they've gotten rather pricey.

Yes, and it's a good thing there are no costly consequences, monetary or otherwise to snorting lines................ Oh wait !.!.!...

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator